Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsianWeek Endorses "Native Hawaiian" for President

AsianWeek, based in san francisco, recently endorsed Barack Obama:

"U.S. Senator Barack Obama is the first-ever presidential candidate of color to have a broad base of support throughout America. A native Hawaiian, Obama’s personal and political background reflects the multicultural future of America. The energy Obama has ignited among young Asian Pacific American activists is unprecedented for presidential politics and could pave the way for future APA involvement."
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: AsianWeek Endorses "Native Hawaiian" for President of the United States

Since there were no people in Hawaii 2000-odd years ago, and then folks started arriving, and having children, does it logically follow that anybody born in the islands is a native Hawaiian?

Or perhaps there are no native Hawaiians, as humans are not endemic to Hawaii. Get's tricky don't it?
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Would anyone think twice about what was meant if they said 'a native New Yorker' or 'a native Nevadan'? Native means 'born there'. The other sense of meaning is best conveyed by the word 'aboriginal' or 'aborigine'. Now, why the Hawaiian aborigines didn't hanker for that term is, I believe, obvious. [Too many syllables]
      Last edited by salmoned; February 2, 2008, 03:03 PM.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Perhaps the issue is place of birth. If a child is born in America, he is automatically an American, regardless of the citizenry of his parents, or the legality of their situation in America.

My friend's daughter said it best when she asserted her hawaiian-ness by virtue of the fact she was born at Kona Hospital.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          My friend's daughter said it best when she asserted her hawaiian-ness by virtue of the fact she was born at Kona Hospital.
          Does that mean she's a "Konan?"

(Sorry - I predict there will be a distinct lack of humor in this thread. Perhaps there still is...)

Comment

So my husband who (on one family line) has ancestry in America that goes back a few hundred years is a native American? To think, all of this time I didn't know he was just as indigeious to this land as all of these tribes.

If where you are born = what you are then Nicole Kidman is both native Hawaiian AND native American, she was born in Honolulu.

Perhaps there are no Maori with your way of thinking...
            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

i just find it ironic that an ethnic-centric publication based on the pacific rim would make such a mistake.

i wonder if the obama camp knows that the "native Hawaiian" label has been smacked on his forehead by a bunch of cali asians. if obama himself knew about this, i'm sure he'd correct them.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I'm sure he would as well. He's never labeled himself as such.
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I'm with Salmoned on this one. The distinction matters to many of us who live here, but since "native Californian" and "native Texan" have a certain meaning in the rest of the country, it doesn't make sense for us to expect everyone else in the nation to know that the meaning of "native Hawaiian" is different here. And whether or not Obama would correct anyone is questionable: He knows what they mean, and there are right times and right places for that kind of semantic correction.

I'll bet a nice letter to the editor would be appreciated by other readers of the publication and by its editors, because I agree that a publication like that SHOULD care about the distinction.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    I'll bet a nice letter to the editor would be appreciated by other readers of the publication and by its editors, because I agree that a publication like that SHOULD care about the distinction.
                    someone already posted a comment at that site to the effect.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                      i just find it ironic that an ethnic-centric publication based on the pacific rim would make such a mistake.

i wonder if the obama camp knows that the "native Hawaiian" label has been smacked on his forehead by a bunch of cali asians. if obama himself knew about this, i'm sure he'd correct them.
                      Exactly. I know up here in the Pacific Northwest, there are ads for a forthcoming contact for Jake Shimabukuro that clearly states "Hawaiian born", so some know how to use the right terminology while others clearly need to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        Would anyone think twice about what was meant if they said 'a native New Yorker' or 'a native Nevadan'? Native means 'born there'.
                        Agreed. The way to drive it home is to ask if someone was born in Mexico if they would be refereed to as a "Mexican"? You can then explain that "Hawaii" and "Hawaiian" works the same way.

Comment

Re: AsianWeek Endorses "Native Hawaiian" for President

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                          Would anyone think twice about what was meant if they said 'a native New Yorker' or 'a native Nevadan'?
                          no, if only bcs there is no such thing as an "ethnic new yorker" or an "ethnic nevadan." however, Hawaiians are an ethnic group.

look at it from another view:

a chinese person (let's name him sam, for ease of reference) born in the philippines to chinese parents who are not philippine nationals is not filipino, ethnically or nationalistically. sam, when he becomes of age, can elect to be a philippine national (if the philippine government approves such application for citizenship), but will never be "filipino."

in the same manner, because hawaiians are an ethnic group, you cannot be hawaiian unless you have hawaiian blood, even if you were born in hawaii.
                          Last edited by cynsaligia; February 3, 2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

How about Native Punahouian then?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              How about Native Punahouian then?
                              naughty, naughty!

i think you can claim that only if you paint a big buff n blue P on yo fo'head.

Comment

Working...
                              X