Now that you've moved to Hawaii....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that you've moved to Hawaii....

I've read the countless posts about people considering moving to Hawaii & the wonderfull and sometimes brutally honest truths that this site gives. Here's my question...

Now that you have moved to Hawaii was it all you expected and hoped for? Was the move/transition harder than you expected?
    Have you gotten over sticker shock?
    What's the one thing that you really weren't prepared for?

I especially would like to hear from some of the single people that moved there all by his/herself and if they had any regrets.

I'm contemplating a move, but am a little hesitant about such a big change.

Re: Now that you've moved to Hawaii....

Living in Hawaii is like sex and pizza...even when it isn't THAT great...it is still pretty good.

Just another lousy day in paradise.

The opinions expressed here are very just, and very honest. It is what it is. No BS. Love it or leave it. Just my $.02

The move was easy for the most part, work actually came quickly. I felt some of the cold shoulder by a few of he folks I worked with at first, but that melted away and I made friends for life.

Sticker shock: Not too unlike Washington D.C., very parallel. Depending on where you go, price is like anywhere else, but you get a feel for "where the bargains are".

As for regrets, there is NO choice in life that does not harbor some form of regret, it is part of living and learning. Go for it, you only go around this rock once. Makes great stories for the grand kids anyways.
    Last edited by TATTRAT; February 10, 2008, 06:30 PM.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by kool_kat View Post
      Now that you have moved to Hawaii was it all you expected and hoped for?
      Almost 19 years-- heck, yeah. I've lived all over the world and I wouldn't live anywhere else. We try not to even travel to the Mainland unless it's summer. Our kid was born & raised here and would escape back here if we tried to move.

Was the move/transition harder than you expected?
      I've had worse. This was courtesy of the Navy and it was our 9th or 10th move so we were getting pretty good at it. Childless, too, at the time, which made it a lot easier.

Matson was better than other shippers and the movers were fine, but the less you bring with you the better (which is true just about anywhere in the world). I think the hardest part of the move was closing on the house, since (at the time) the closing funds had to go into escrow from a local bank. It turns out that they didn't mean a credit union after all, which held things up for a few "expensive" wire transfers.

Have you gotten over sticker shock?
      Compared to what-- Tokyo? London? LA? Manhattan? The Monterey Peninsula? Even San Diego? Or Orlando?

Housing may be high but it seems to revert to a multiple of median income. At least appreciation is more reliable than many Mainland locations and not subject to wild swings like having a local employer move or having your neighborhood show up on somone's "Top 10" or "25 Best Places" lists.

We spend a lot less on heating & A/C (zero) than other locations. Our electricity bill is actually lower than San Diego. We spend less on gas than we did in most Mainland cities (driving less, less traffic). Property taxes are lower. Sales/excise taxes are lower. Income taxes (since retirement) are way lower. Home & car maintenance are way easier/cheaper than many Mainland locations. I don't have to own "winter" clothes or "winterize" stuff. I have a long list of the things I don't miss about freezing water.

As for food, it's just what things cost and it's better to eat local. When I lived in Pittsburgh I didn't eat pineapple or papaya every week, and here we don't eat blueberries or rasberries or drink Iron City every week. The big box stores have flattened prices of the past.

What's the one thing that you really weren't prepared for?
      The day after we closed on our Waipio Gentry home, they burned the cane field across Kam Hwy (in what's now Central Oahu Regional Park). We hadn't received word on our home insurance policy so I was a bit concerned. Neighbors told us it was perfectly normal, but they kinda forgot to mention the rodent/spider population that fled to our street to escape the flames...

We also moved here before big box stores, which made home improvment a real challenge until about 1995. No problem today.

I especially would like to hear from some of the single people that moved there all by his/herself and if they had any regrets.
      I'm contemplating a move, but am a little hesitant about such a big change.
      In my opinion, Hawaii's harshest critics are those who haven't lived elsewhere. It's easy to see the flaws when you haven't lived without the good stuff.

I'd say that first impressions may not always apply island-wide. Our first neighborhood was not very friendly-- still isn't-- but our Mililani neighborhood is great.

If you've only lived here before as a visitor then I'd suggest spending a month or two pretending to be local. Stay away from Waikiki (for now). Rent an apartment (or at least a condotel) instead of a hotel room or B&B. Rent a cheap car or take the bus. Join a fitness center or sign up for a kickboxing class. Get up at 5 AM and drive from Honolulu to Kapolei, and do it again at 4 PM. Open a checking account at a local credit union. Figure out your phone/TV/ISP/utilities service and what deposits are required (if any). Find a doctor and a dentist. Shop local groceries and eat local restaurants (no big boxes or McDonald's). Go to Costco or Pearlridge on Saturday afternoon. Go to a football game or go surfing on Sunday afternoon. Check Craigslist for furniture & home items. Try to figure out your moving budget and your living budget. If there are adaptation problems, try to figure out if it's caused by "any new location" or "only in Hawaii". (Most are the former.) You're having experiences that you'll carry with you for the rest of your life, and hopefully most of them are good. All of them will be "learning experiences".

A friend from Manhattan lived this way for six weeks and had a great time, but he missed the multicultural hustle & bustle of his "home" town. (Go figure.) I think trying to immerse yourself in the local culture (especially if you can find friends who want to show it off to you) is the best way to adapt. As hard as it may seem to move here, if nothing works out and you're totally homesick then it's probably possible to move back or to find a compromise location.

My parents-in-law lived here for nearly six years (we have the only grandkid). They were a perfect example of how not to make the transition-- a houseful of Mainland stuff that was hard to move here, a lifestyle that didn't adapt well, a bunch of dietary preferences that they wouldn't change, Mainland driving habits that they wouldn't change, equating "pidgin" with "lack of intelligence", and a number of other crippling/offensive attitudes. Perhaps their age was a factor, but when I get to be their age I sure hope I'm not that old! They were their own worst enemies, and by the time they were heartily tired of this place we were just as heartily tired of them. They moved back home and they've never appreciated it so much before.

I'd also say that moving here young & single is a LOT easier than older, married, & with children. Not necessarily better, but a lot easier... and the longer you wait, the less easy it gets.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I don't regret my decision at all-but I had a job lined up, and my company paid for my move, as well as for my transitional housing and rental car until my stuff could get here and I could find my own place.

I definitely wouldn't have contemplated a move out here without all that cushioning, I freely admit.

I do miss some things that are more readily available in Mainland cities, but as long as I get my "Mainland fix" once a year, I'm happy. (The arts scene on Oahu, though enthusiastic and growing, is still small and rather limited, for ex, and I miss good Mexican food/Indian food.)

The only thing that makes me reconsider whether I should live here long-term--the difficulty of purchaing a place of my own without huge financial sacrifice.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...maybe I should tell you a little more and what concerns me.

I have lived in Knoxville Tennessee my whole life. I went to school in Cleveland, TN which is about 40 miles south of Knoxville. Recently, I moved to Chattanooga, TN about 60 miles south of Knoxville. Cost of living here is cheap!!! No income tax, and you can buy a very nice 3b 2b 2000sq ft. house with half an acre for less than $200,000. An expensive 2 bedroom gated community appartment will run you about 800 a month. With the cost of living adjustment, I would be making about $10,000 more, but I figured I would actually be making less factoring in the expensive lifestyle.

I work for the government & recently two jobs came open in Honolulu. They are the same position as I currently hold, so this would be a lateral move, but I have a pretty good shot of getting it. Basically, if I apply, I better be ready to move.

I really just feel like it is time to take that big step. I'm 26 & have never lived more than 60 miles from my parents. I'm thinking I can move over there 2-5 years for an adventure and always move back when a job opens up back in this area.

One of the issues in moving is the job. If I take the job there, I have to move there and stay, like it or not, until I could get another position back home. Quitting and moving back is not an option as this is a career long position.

I am responsible for all moving expenses. I plan on selling everything I can't mail or take in my suitcase and start fresh.

My biggest concern is getting out there all by myself & being lonely. I'm not a clubber, so that would not be an option for meeting people. I would do better at church type activities. I'm not a real outdoorsy type person, but would like to become one. I have never surfed, but wouldn't mind learning.

I have never lived in a big city, and really the only big city I have visited is Honolulu. I have traveled some (South America mainly outside of Hawaii & Alaska) so I am not completely naive (sp?) to the world.

What it basically boils down to is do I really think I can do this all by myself!

Anyways, that's a little about me so you can get a better picture of my position & apprehension.

Comment

Aloha Kool Kat.

How wonderful your good fortune of being burdened by such options--stay where you are, or move away into the unknown, all for the sake of getting ahead!

One can go ahead and help you digest every single option, but I'm gonna cast my vote for one of two methods of deciding:
            1)Heads, move. Tails, stay. Flip that coin and let fate tell you. Or,
            2)just move.

You don't have a family to think about. You don't have old age in your way. There's only destiny in front of you.

So move to Hawaiʻi. Just move. Travel is the antidote to ignorance. In other words, what a smart decision it is!

Give yourself 24 hrs to wring your wrists and then do come back and tell us when you are coming.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              Aloha Kool Kat.

So move to Hawaiʻi. Just move. Travel is the antidote to ignorance. In other words, what a smart decision it is!

Give yourself 24 hrs to wring your wrists and then do come back and tell us when you are coming.
              Thanks for the positive thinking. That's what I am trying to do, but I am so not a risk taker. I'm an accountant for Pete's sake. We don't do anything risky! However, I think I am going to take that plunge. At least until tomorrow, when I talk myself out of it. I have two weeks to apply, so that means I can change my mind another 10-12 times!

Comment

Life is a book, if you don't travel you have only read the first page.

The worst thing that comes from any journey is a good story and some true life experience. There are ups and downs, but it is all in how you handle and reflect on these things.

If you WANT to become an outdoorsy time, there IS NO BETTER place.

Family is ALWAYS there, it is both a blessing and a curse. I am sure they want you to prosper, either in town, or out of town.

If you are looking to do it on your own, from the ground up, there are plenty of resources to help get you going.

I have been in your shoes, I have done a LOT of traveling, I have NO regrets. That is for me, but I have felt the same way you have and know how hard it can be...but, it is worth it.

Just my additional $.02.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Thanks for the replies...maybe I should tell you a little more and what concerns me.

My biggest concern is getting out there all by myself & being lonely. I'm not a clubber, so that would not be an option for meeting people. I would do better at church type activities. I'm not a real outdoorsy type person, but would like to become one. I have never surfed, but wouldn't mind learning.

What it basically boils down to is do I really think I can do this all by myself!

Anyways, that's a little about me so you can get a better picture of my position & apprehension.
                  I moved out here and left all my family behind, so I can relate to the situation you are facing. I knew no one in Hawaii. I was 22. so I was still kinda into clubbing, but as a female, going out alone to do so was not an option. I work in an unsual environment, so my colleagues were considerably older that myself, so we didn't have much in common. I spent many a lonely night drinking glasses of wine and watching Animal Planet (cable was still at that time a novelty to this former poor college student ).

I turned to the Internet to get my foot in the social door in Hawaii. It took some patience and a lot of work to find people here I clicked with, but it was worth it in the end. As a result of my experiences and listening to the experiences of others, I even had a web group for a while, to which only last year did I stop posting regularly (The Newcomers Ohana).

There are a few online social groups like MeetinHonolulu, Global Pau Hana, and Social Wahines which can help ease the transition socially. I also met quite a few people via the platonic friends section of Craigslist. I met my boyfriend of four years thru Match.com even.

As for the outdoors thing, I know of at least one hiking group email list that is run by a friend (they even occasionally have day hikes on other islands), which if you PM me I can give you more information, as well as a Google group Hawaii Hikers.

I also missed having a pet, so I decided to volunteer with the Humane Society. I've had quite a few positive experiences thru that.

More than five years later, I can honestly look back and say that I am happy that I made the move and really learned to come out of my shell and comfort zone by moving to Hawaii. Now my active social life is almost a little TOO busy!

As long as you are patient, willing to take the first step and intiate conversation with others, and open-minded to embracing the unique and diverse culture here, you should have no problem meeting great friends eventually. Just don't be disheartened if it takes a little time.

Comment

Go for it. You're young, you don't have a spouse or kids to worry about, and if you're working for the feds you're getting a very nice 25% COLA tax-free.

Comment

I was single and made the move at 33 with 2 elementary school age kids. I had a couple of high school classmates who lived in Honolulu plus I'd made at least 10 trips to Hawaii by then. One pre-move trip was spent entirely in hooking up with local film industry professionals. I had no other skills so I was locked in to making a living within that small community. It worked, mainly because I came here with a years worth of living expenses in the bank.

I've never regretted the move but now I look back on it and realize how truly ballsy it was! My kids loved Hawaii from day one so, fortunately, I never had to deal with "When are we going home?"!

Comment

If you're not into the clubbing scene and you would like to try the great outdoors, the Big Island has a lot to offer you. With home sales dropping, even here in Keaau you can pick up a decent 3/2 home for under $250k, and I'm not talking old shacks either but either brand new or recently built never occupied homes.

The Big Island offers probably the best choices of natural beauty to discover, from snow capped Mauna Kea to the white sand beaches of Hapuna, you can see and do both in the same day.

If you're a college student, UH/Hilo is a great place to learn as class sizes and the campus itself isn't so sprawling as UH/Manoa, not to mention lower tuition prices.

The Big Island can be an excellent launching pad if you do want to gear up and go to Honolulu, but most that do make that transition to Honolulu, usually come back to the Big Island. If you want the faster pace and convenience of a metropolis, then it's Honolulu. But if you want to experience the natural beauty of Hawaii and afford a comfortable place to live, the Big Island is the only place where housing prices are more reasonable than on Oahu, Kauai, or Maui. But beware the west side of the Big Island (Kona side) has some pretty expensive homes which drives up the real estate prices there. East Hawaii particularly Lower Puna has the best prices in the state.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          If you're not into the clubbing scene and you would like to try the great outdoors, the Big Island has a lot to offer you. With home sales dropping, even here in Keaau you can pick up a decent 3/2 home for under $250k, and I'm not talking old shacks either but either brand new or recently built never occupied homes.

The Big Island offers probably the best choices of natural beauty to discover, from snow capped Mauna Kea to the white sand beaches of Hapuna, you can see and do both in the same day.
                          The office I would be working out of is on Ala Moana Blvd. - the west end I think, so I would have to be in Oahu & fight the lovely Honolulu traffic.

I'm coming to Hawaii in two weeks & going to check out where the office is & try to look at things in a less tourist way. I think in the end this trip will just make me want to move there more. I haven't been in a couple of years, so I am ready to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            ...One pre-move trip was spent entirely in hooking up with local film industry professionals. I had no other skills so I was locked in to making a living within that small community. ...
                            Hi tutusue,

I'm also thinking/dreaming about moving to Hawai'i. Since I'm also working in the film industry, O'ahu seems the island to go. Do you have any advice regarding the film industry there? How to get started? Where to apply for a job?

I am from Europe, Austria to be exact, and right now I don't see much of a chance to find work and live on the islands. Any advice is much appreciated!

Mahalo!

Comment

Hi Markus, It's addressed in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X