Across the Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Across the Universe

Finally got a chance to see this and I have to say that it was very cool. I am not so much a fan of musicals, but I have always liked Beatles music so this was a real pleasure to watch. If you are even a minor fan of the Fab Fours' music, you will enjoy this movie. It gave me a new appreciation for their talent as songwriters.
    IMDB link
    Last edited by glossyp; February 14, 2008, 09:43 PM. Reason: Add link

Re: Across the Universe

Well, guess you can guess I was am a Beatles fan and most definitely a John Lennon fan.
    "Give Peace a Chance".
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Loved it too. Could see Julie Taymore's hand all over this work. Enjoyed Bono's turn as some kind of psychedelic hippie leader.

Comment

I enjoyed the movie as a nice escape, wrapped up in familiar Beatles tunes, and set in a time period that was influential in my own life. My favorite sequence was at the Army induction center, beginning with the famous Uncle Sam poster coming to life for "I Want You," and continuing through the incredible dance sequence of the identically-dressed military processors.
        Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
        Enjoyed Bono's turn as some kind of psychedelic hippie leader.
        However, I am continually surprised at the film reviewers who keep describing his sequence as "the most realistic representation of an acid trip ever put on film." Without revealing too much of my past, can I just say that I disagree with that? I don't know that other films have done it better, but I didn't find it particularly "realistic." (Then again, "reality" and "acid trips" don't really co-exist.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          However, I am continually surprised at the film reviewers who keep describing his sequence as "the most realistic representation of an acid trip ever put on film." Without revealing too much of my past, can I just say that I disagree with that? I don't know that other films have done it better, but I didn't find it particularly "realistic." (Then again, "reality" and "acid trips" don't really co-exist.)
          I definitely would never say that I enjoyed the movie for its depiction of a real acid trip. I have no idea what acid is like and never intend to find out. I just liked seeing Bono in that role since I wasn't expecting it.

Comment

Across the Universe was the movie my BF and I saw on our first date and being fans of the Beatles, we enjoyed it.

One of my favorite scenes and songs from the movie (placed in a Spoiler cut):

Trivia note:

TV Carpio's (Prudence) father, Peter Mui, is the guy who started the YellowMan clothing brand. Her mom was a pretty popular singer in Asia 'back in the day.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              (Prudence) singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"
              Who knew that it could be such a poignant love song? That was favorite of ours as well.

Comment

I just watched this flick at home with my fiancee and thought it was pretty decent. The interpretations of some of the songs was... interesting to say the least.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lead actor ("Jude") in "21" at the end of the month.
                Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

It sure beats Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. That movie was a mess.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

When I saw the trailer I figured oh GAWD but when it made its way onto DVD I was dying to see it and since it was #1 on my Netflix Queue it seemed like enternity to get it.

The wait was worth it and I dug that psychedelic bus ride and intersting names of the 2 main characters.

I dug a cameo of a certain music artist that appears a couple of times during a certain number.
                    THERE HE IS! Noooo Noooo wait! THERE HE IS AGAIN!!!

The final moments of ATU just made me happy w/ glee

Comment

Loved the film - but a more telling review comes from my two teenaged daughters, one of whom doesn't particularly like the Beatles. They both loved it. Nice job of making a movie that can appeal to such a wide range. Loved the husky blues voice on the woman who played Sadie. Would love to see her playing a club.

Bono was very good (I liked how the character was a bit of an egotistical jerk - typecasting anyone?), but I enjoyed seeing the other 'certain artist' referenced in the post above more.
                      Last edited by Bob P; March 24, 2008, 05:25 AM.
                      "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
                      Socrates.

Comment

Maddie and I watched it on her big screen last night and she was berserk with excitement.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          ...she was berserk with excitement.
                          This is my favorite phrase of the year thus far!

Comment

I really enjoyed it.
                            Was well done IMO.
                            The corresponding scenes going along with the Beatles music well.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X