Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Koko Crater Trail closed today

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Have you heard any news about the trail and or gun range improvements?

There was a concern voiced for trail maintenance.
    Other than a rare bush growing into the trail itself, what maintenance has been performed previously?
    The trail looks the way it has appeared for many years. Does the tressel part now need work, or something?

Just wondering...

I had written this story initially in the East Oahu Sun, and there will be an update in the April edition, which isn't online yet. So far, Lester Chang hasn't come back to the Hawaii Kai Neighborhood Board yet, but there has been no movement. A group has organized to do trail maintenance, but they don't really feel they can make a move without some authorization or agreement with the city. Stay tuned. We won't let any cabins go up on Ka Iwi and we won't let them take away our trail. What we do think should be done are improvements to the shooting range. It's 70 years old.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The trail looks the way it has appeared for many years. Does the tressel part now need work, or something?
      Just wondering...
      ================================
      not quite true....the trail does NOT look the same. There was a large brush fire that destroyed trees by the trail which then exposed the hikers to the rifle range.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
        ================================
        not quite true....the trail does NOT look the same. There was a large brush fire that destroyed trees by the trail which then exposed the hikers to the rifle range.
        Okay, when was this?
        If using the trail truly exposes a hiker to the rifle range,
        a few trees would not have made a difference. IMO
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Okay, when was this?
          If using the trail truly exposes a hiker to the rifle range,
          a few trees would not have made a difference. IMO
          =====================
          November 2003. It was a LOT of trees and bushes that can make a big difference, both physically and psychologically.

Comment

Koko Crater has fully recovered from that brush fire. However, that's not the point. The firing range structures are built in such a way that when those who are using it have real no true opportunity to shoot their rifles up at the trail. If they stand inside the range and not within the structures that host the various gun types, then sure, you can shoot anywhere you want and hit whoever you want.

Let's put it this way: As I've always said, gun enthusiasts are probably the fiercest of our defenders of rights. They respect the right to bear arms and they respect the arms they bear. I doubt anyone would go there and take a gun and abuse that right by aiming and firing at those who are climbing the trail.

I do advocate the repair and improvement of the range as it is 70 years old. At the same time, it could be fortified to assure that trail users don't get shot. Our goal is to assure the continuance of all activities, safely.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
              . . . gun enthusiasts are probably the fiercest of our defenders of rights. They respect the right to bear arms and they respect the arms they bear. I doubt anyone would go there and take a gun and abuse that right by aiming and firing at those who are climbing the trail.
              And you can bet that if anyone did, the rangemaster and other shooters will be all over that guy in a heartbeat.

BTW, I used to spend a lot of time there, and the shooters at the silhouette range and skeet range are among the nicest people you could ever meet. Definitely not the stereotypical "gun nuts" that some might assume.

Comment

Have you heard any news about the trail and or gun range improvements?

There was a concern voiced for trail maintenance.
                Other than a rare bush growing into the trail itself, what maintenance has been performed previously?

Just wondering...

A friend told me that the trail has been closed for maintenance.
                I tried a search on the Star Advertiser site and came up with nothing.
                Does anyone know if it has and for how long they plan to keep the trail closed?

Comment

I remember something from yesterday that the trail was closed so they could remove some old rusty handrail, but don't remember where I saw that. Sorry.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I did another search and came up with... http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/publicc...SURE042811.htm

"The Koko Crater Tram Trail, a popular hiking trail along the old tram line on the slopes of Koko Head Crater in East Honolulu, will be closed for maintenance beginning at 5 a.m., Monday, May 2, 2011.

The trail is scheduled to reopen at 5 a.m., Friday, May 6. The trail closure is necessary to remove a 2,000-foot long, ¾” steel wire cable that currently runs the length of the tram’s track. The wire rope, built during World War II, is deteriorating and is being removed as a preventive safety measure."

Comment

Working...
                    X