Weight Loss Success Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss Success Stories

The most recent news report is that Tracey Wygal, a 30 year old West Virginia school teacher has lost 120 pounds and seven dress sizes.

Then there's blogger Lynn Bering who lost 168 pounds.

The most incredible story of all is Manuel Uribe, a 42 year old man from Mexico who was once considered "The World's Fattest Man" at 1,257 pounds, has now lost 507 of that.

All these success stories through the most basic proven method of diet and exercise.

Anyone of you folks got stories to share about yourself, a loved one, friend, coworker or other acquaintance?

A guy I worked with a long time ago dropped over 150 lbs. by walking every weekend from his home in Makiki to Sandy Beach, and back home. It took him just about the whole day to do it, every Saturday and Sunday. He also gave up on snacks and other junk food. When he achieved his "high school weight" again, he annually participated in the Honolulu Marathon and Great Aloha Run, which the latter is coming up again this Monday.

I'm actually considering - or if someone else here would like to - start a weight loss competition in the Pā‘ani section of HT. It would be aptly named "HT Weight Loss Challenge!" or "HT Health & Fitness Challenge!".

The hard part with doing this online is PROOF. It would have to be based on the participants' honesty, along with, perhaps to augment that, some photos of your progress. No need show face, but at least body shots from the neck down. After all, before and after pics are always amazing!

We did this at work one year and everyone who participated lost at least enough that it was physically noticeable and very impressive! The guy who won lost the most weight by walking to work almost every day (Honolulu area) and eating a more sensible diet.

The prizes would have to be contributed by volunteers here at HT. I have a $25 Jamba Juice Gift Card to offer, perhaps for 3rd place finisher or whatever. The grand prize should be much more valuable than that for inspiration to win!
    Last edited by Pomai; February 16, 2008, 05:20 PM. Reason: Sweatin' to the Oldies...
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Weight Loss Success Stories

Let's not forget Subway's Jared Fogle, who not only lost 245 lbs., but just as important, has kept it off for 10 years now.

WTG, Jared!
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Last spring I lost 15 lbs using one of those "canned beverage" weight loss products that you can buy at the supermarket. (I won't name it here because I don't want people to think I'm trying to sell the product, although I am in sales, but not weight loss products!) It took about 2 months, just replacing lunch. I've regained about 5 pounds, and plan on going back to "the same product" soon, in prep for summer vacation.
      You can private message me if you want the name, but I'd guess all those products are very similar. [I just got my first private message at HT, this site is full of suprises!)
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        Last spring I lost 15 lbs using one of those "canned beverage" weight loss products that you can buy at the supermarket. (I won't name it here because I don't want people to think I'm trying to sell the product, although I am in sales, but not weight loss products!)
        Beware if it is Slim Fast or something that's similar. Drinking that stuff can give you kidney stones!
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Dec. 3, the MD weighed me at 222.

Took it a little bit easy over the holidays on the food and treats.

Jan. 3, I was 219.

Then I got serious. Salad, salad, salad. No thanks to high-calorie snacks. Yogurt, fresh fruit, string cheese for snacks. Tennis lessons Monday nights. Chase kid around all week.

Feb. 16, I weighed 199.

Still working on it. That's about it.
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Beware if it is Slim Fast or something that's similar. Drinking that stuff can give you kidney stones!
            Having had a family member with kidney stones, I've read a variety of articles about the topic. There are many "possibilites" out there, but I've not read where canned weight loss products are a cause. Do you have a link to that info?
            Thanks.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Lost 67 lbs in 2004...have kept most of it off (with the exception of 10 irritating clinging lbs). I did it with Nutrisystem.
              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Since February of last year, I have lost about 30 pounds using LA Weight loss. Had lost over 40, but gained a few back when I moved.

My aunt started the same time and has lost over 90 pounds! I'm getting ready to start weight watchers (got tired of La) when I get back from my trip to Hawaii next week.

Comment

Oh... and I'm in for a HT weight loss challenge! Bring it on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                    Dec. 3, the MD weighed me at 222.

Took it a little bit easy over the holidays on the food and treats.

Jan. 3, I was 219.

Then I got serious. Salad, salad, salad. No thanks to high-calorie snacks. Yogurt, fresh fruit, string cheese for snacks. Tennis lessons Monday nights. Chase kid around all week.

Feb. 16, I weighed 199.

Still working on it. That's about it.

Keep up the good work, Blaine.

I lost 32 pounds since August. I did about two months solid of Nutrisystems. and I go to Hawaii Kai 24HF six or seven days a week. Since my unemployment, I've thrown surfing in the mix. I believe the yoga for the last five years has made me more limber, and the dieting makes me easier on the eyes out there. Even on me. I look down and don't see the spare tire peeking between the tankini! I really feel good about my health and appearance these days.
                    I was hesitant to join in because if the challenge is from this point on, I wanted some credit for what got me here, too. I could lose another 15-20.
                    And another thing, to tell the truth. I was thinking that maybe being heavy was keeping me from getting a job, so that's another reason I'm living the forward and positive lifestyle these days!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

You see the secret is to pack your pockets with coins on the initial Weight Watcher's meeting weigh-in. Yeah that way next week's meeting you weigh less!

I thought I was losing weight until I found out the scale at my doctor's office wasn't lying after all, My bathroom scale is such a brown-noser
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Since spring of 07 I've lost over 75 pounds. The how is so simple it's embarrassing. Eat better and less. Exercise at least 4 days a week. Lots of time on the treadmill, and weight training to make me strong and boost the metabolism. I change up my training every 8 weeks or so, I'm tapering my treadmill time and using more cycling for my cardio these days. I'm also using dumb bells more to build up the stabilizers and promote symmetry.

Diet wise, I eat like I have diabetes...no sugary treats, low carb foods, lots of fiber, and tons of water. The only supplement I use is a Muscle Milk drink after my workouts for protein supplementation.

It's not easy to move big pounds, it's hard work, but once I experienced how I felt, my renewed energy, robust health, and better outlook...I'm hooked. I'll stay on this path for a long time. Gotta keep moving...

Comment

My weight has been up and down (mostly up) since practically forever... I was overweight as a kid/teen/adult. After I started dating my future husband, my friend and I made a weight loss bet. I won and lost about 80 lbs! I was the thinnest I had ever been. As the years went on I regained 25 lbs (in about 6 years). Then I got pregnant (twice!) so yeah ...
                          anyways... last year I decided to get serious about losing the weight (again!) I was the heaviest I had ever been. so I started walking around the neighborhood in the evenings after work and cutting back food portions. Eventually, I bought a treadmill, changed my breakfast and lunch to "breakfast bars" or "meal replacement bars", tried not to snack, cut way back on soda, etc... by the end of the year I had lost 52 lbs! woo hoo!
                          But, then I was on vacation, started slacking on the treadmill, ate more snacks etc... and i have gained 2 lbs back
                          I have lost the motivation, although I would still like to lose another 20 - 30 lbs... maybe a challenge is just what i need to get my butt back in gear!
                          I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                            Since spring of 07 I've lost over 75 pounds. The how is so simple it's embarrassing. Eat better and less.
                            The answer is so simple, as you say. But following through on it is anything but simple for most of us.

I will say this, tho. Your formula for weight loss is a very healthy one. There's no substitute for both a daily regimen of exercise and a healthy diet. Just doing a crash diet may lead someone to immediate weight loss, but it reduces one's chances of maintaining it over the long term. And IMHO, relying on things like the Slim Fast diet or eating only Weight Watchers/Jenny Craig food is a crutch.

I don't have iron willpower in totally denying myself of "tasty" pleasures. I openly admit that I am a pasta freak. So instead of driving myself crazy with a zero diet of starch, I try to limit myself to sensible portions. I also try to vary my diet so as not to burn myself out eating the same things day after day. Believe me, I've tried the vegetarian diet. I've tried Jared's "Subway" diet. But eventually, I got sick of eating the same stuff. I believe my personal weight loss success has come as a result of making a total lifestyle change instead of trying to slavishly adhere to a "program."

Exercise? I go on my elliptical machine every day for 45 minutes, which gives a more full body workout than I would get from a treadmill or a stationary bike. I then go outside for either a jog or a swim.

And for anyone who cares, I went from 180 lbs. with a size 38 waist to 150 lbs. and a 32 waist. It took me 3 months to achieve that reduction, but I have managed to maintain my ideal weight since spring of 2006.
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 19, 2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

trust this...an ironclad will power is not in my arsenal. I'm the king of pasta! But now instead of twice a week, I might have it once every two weeks. The idea I am pursuing is a new lifestyle I can sustain. Making a life of food denial and mandatory exercise is not gonna work for me long term...I could do it for a while to achieve a specific goal (like ZZ did) but not forever. It's like Grandma told me...everything in moderation. I can still go to the basketball games and have a beer and a hot dog, but I'll make sure I calorie average it out.

And another thing...I became an avid reader of nutrition labels. I was STUNNED at how much salt & sugar were in the foods we buy. Now I'll be parked in front of the bread shelf for as long as it takes to find bread with 16 grams of carbs and 5 or less grams of sugar per serving. I do like that the labeling now includes a "per package" number. That new Gatorade G2 may have 25 calories & 7 grams of carbs per serving, but if you drink the whole 20oz bottle it's 70 calories & 17 grams of carbs. Multiply that by multiple bottles and...

But if you can get by on one bottle, not too bad...like Grandma said, moderation.

Comment

Working...
                              X