What's that smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that smell?

Please feel free to post here about any offensive, endorphin-inducing, memorable or mysterious redolences you come across. Profusions of adjectives are encouraged so we all may relive your experience, for better or worse.

I'd like to make note of a persistent stinker right off the bat: The strong sulfur stench in the area between the Iwilei Costco and Nimitz Hwy. If not for the sounds of cars motoring by, you could close your eyes and swear you were in next to one of Madam Pele's vents -- the rotten egg smell is that strong. My first guess as to the odor's owner would be Weyerhaeuser Co on Nimitz (SOx). But it's not as if the area's a stranger to putridity.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: What's that smell?

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=14207
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

That's weird. I did a search for "smell" in thread titles prior to posting and my four results didn't include that thread.

Ooh. I smell pizza now! Well, thanks for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
        I'd like to make note of a persistent stinker right off the bat: The strong sulfur stench in the area between the Iwilei Costco and Nimitz Hwy. If not for the sounds of cars motoring by, you could close your eyes and swear you were in next to one of Madam Pele's vents -- the rotten egg smell is that strong. My first guess as to the odor's owner would be Weyerhaeuser Co on Nimitz (SOx). But it's not as if the area's a stranger to putridity.
        I've heard that the rotten smell is from oil in the ground under Costco, left over from the old Dole Cannery that used to be there.

Comment

I love the smell of Kale's Natural Foods in Hawaii Kai, right as you walk in the door. I think it's the Indigenous Soap collection. Whatever it is, I just love that scentual greeting!

At 24HF in HIKAI, there are lots of smells. I swear one guy must have diabetes because he smells sickeningly sweet as he sweats and sometimes he gets on the eliptical trainer next to me. Other guys wear too much cologne. Some people are just not aware. Like, if you eat lots of garlic, it really smells! If you think no one can hear your farts because you're surrounded by people plugged into iPods, we can still SMELL them! I have to take an AllerClear before I go, and sometimes it makes it nearly unbearable to continue with my workout! But I do. That's why I workout with two bandanas to mop my sweat and block my sense of smell as I try to breathe!

Time for a shower with Bronner's peppermint soap!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            I love the smell of Kale's Natural Foods in Hawaii Kai, right as you walk in the door. I think it's the Indigenous Soap collection. Whatever it is, I just love that scentual greeting!
            It's probably cancerous
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

On the days I bike to work, I travel School Street on the way to downtown. There's a house around Lanakila with mock orange bushes in front... and every morning I've gone past I have smelled incense, probably from a family altar inside the house. I'm guessing an old Chinese lady lives there.

Comment

When my kids remark, "What's that smell?" I tell them it's their upper lip

Comment

Dark roast 100% Kona Mountain coffee freshly ground from peaberries and steeping in a French press. Thank you, Cyn.

Comment

Oooh-oooh, that smell!
                    Can't you smell that smell?

Couldn't resist.

Comment

The Skunk tree by Sinclair Library at UH Manoa campus. Unlike normal trees, it's not pollinated by bees but by flies. So the flowers emit the irresistible odor of rotting flesh to attract the flies. OK, so it's an interesting tree - but why the hell did it have to be planted near people????

Comment

Dark roast 100% Kona Mountain coffee freshly ground from peaberries and steeping in a French press. Thank you, Cyn.
                        You sure that wasn't for her?

Comment

That smell is of my two nephews (12 & 15) and their friends who hose themselves down with "Tag" & other "body sprays"...

ugh...

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            You sure that wasn't for her?
                            when we make coffee, it's for both of us, not only in amount, but in terms of (chemical) benefit from warm, roasty, caffeinated goodness. coffee = less morning grumpy!
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Well then by all means...pour it on!!

Comment

Working...
                              X