What's that smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's that smell?

Driving on Kam Hiway between Mililani and wahiawa, but dangme can't remember now which direction I noticed it the most......I swear, crazy as it sounds, lol.....I have on many occasions smelled what reminds me precisely of the scent? of what the home hair care perms of the sixties smelled like. No matter what I was thinking about when alone and driving that area, or what we were talking about if alone or on my cell......immediately the memories of mom giving those danged, old home perms would come to mind.

Mentioned it to a few people over the years but no one has had a hint of what it may be.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

my pakalana plant is blooming!!!!! now if i could just get the two puakenikeni trees to blossom?! and, thank god the mango tree is no longer blooming! i can't stand that smell!
      btw, is it me or does anyone else think that guavas smell like cat pee and papays smell like poop?
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Kani, LOL~ I luv it...about the fruit having funny,errr...gross smells. I have never noticed and our family eats guava quite often, me, papaya a very few times a year but thanks to you.........I've gotta cut into one of each with this post of yours in mind, and report back to ya.

Comment

try leaving some guavas in your car with all the windows up!
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

My MIL buys a bag weekly from "the Papaya Lady" who gets them flown in by relatives on the neighbor island. I gorge on these when we're back (we very rarely find Hawaiian-grown fruit other than pineapple at home) but my wife can't take the smell and has to leave the room!

Last year we were returning home from a visit and midway through the flight busted out the takeout okazuya box. My sister was sitting directly behind us and chatting up a mainland couple. While we were eating I noticed some murmuring behind us, then finally I hear the husband tell my sister "I don't want to be rude, but I really think the baby needs a diaper change!" I was really offended that they were unused to the smell of "local food" and accused our daughter of having a BM!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              I'm guessing an old Chinese lady lives there.
              That's funny. My wife started going to an acupuncturist recently and he's also prescribed herbal remedies, sending her home with a goody bag after each visit. The "tea" brewed with these herbs produce an incredibly putrid smell. I keep yelling at my wife that our three year-old house is going to smell like my grandma's (an old Chinese lady) before her treatment's through.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                Oooh-oooh, that smell!
                Can't you smell that smell?

Couldn't resist.
                Awww beat me to it... by a couple months.

I hate the smell of greasy tools. I love the smell of my wife's Night-blooming Jasmine.

Comment

NoCal Boy....oh no! LOL...tell me it ain't so! Man, that really happened during your flight. Freaked you out I bet, oh yeah.

thanks for sharing good laughs~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                    Driving on Kam Hiway between Mililani and wahiawa, but dangme can't remember now which direction I noticed it the most......I swear, crazy as it sounds, lol.....I have on many occasions smelled what reminds me precisely of the scent? of what the home hair care perms of the sixties smelled like.
                    Karen, at first when I read your post I thought, "that's what I smelled today!!" But no, I was driving between Haleiwa and Wahiawa. And I had just colored my hair! Beautyshop smell--had to open the window and let a little vog in to air it out.

I will keep a sniffer out for it next time I go to Mililani....

Comment

Why do all the dentist offices smell the same? What chemical do they use which causes it? It must be some dentist cult conspiracy...
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Cyleet, cool! it hasn't happened now in a few mos. so I'm doubting myself as to just where I used to smell it. Lemme know if you do, and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                          Why do all the dentist offices smell the same? What chemical do they use which causes it? It must be some dentist cult conspiracy...
                          The culprit might be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenol

Apparently the smell is attractive to male bees. Never seen a lost bee in a dentist office though.

Is it considered forum incest to reply to your own post?
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Is it considered forum incest to reply to your own post?"

Busted a gut laughing at this!! Thank you for making my time at my desk anything but...work. Actually HT has a lot of folks that do just that.

I gotta crash. Hope you have a great weekend. aloha huggz~

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                              try leaving some guavas in your car with all the windows up!
                              Try leaving a bag of garbage in the trunk of a car for a week, parked in the sun. Thought something up and died in some obscure nook under the back seat.
                              That was around 7 years ago and it still comes out when we park it out in the sun. Tried everything including carpet deoderizer with baking soda, Febreeze, Lysol, whatever's supposed to kill odors. HAH!

Comment

If anyone works in the Topa Financial Towers on Bishop Street, can you please tell me WHAT that old stale vinegar smell is in the lobby? It's strongest right outside "For the Love of Coffee" next to the ATM machines.

I hate walking through there!
                                Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Working...
                                X