Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

For a couple years, I had free lunch (and this was when lunch was about 35 cents per day--mid to late '80s) at a Catholic school. At first I was embarassed, even though no money was exchanged in the cafeteria (parents paid the school office monthly), but I later learned that most of the school had free/reduced because most kids came from single parent families.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

Man I just paid for two of my kids lunches for the month of March. DOE public schools cost $25 per month per child and that's if they don't eat breakfast. I think I'll start packing lunches for my kids every now and then to stretch that budget.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Man I just paid for two of my kids lunches for the month of March. DOE public schools cost $25 per month per child and that's if they don't eat breakfast. I think I'll start packing lunches for my kids every now and then to stretch that budget.
      You think your kids paying $1.25 for lunch every day is being excessive?

Do you think that you can provide your children with a comparable quality lunch (main course, salad, fruit, dessert/snack, half-pint milk carton) for significantly less than $1.25? Even if you bought all your groceries at Costco prices, that would be a challenge.

I think if I carefully shopped, I might be able to beat the $1.25 price by a few cents. But for me, the savings wouldn't be worth the effort.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I had reduced lunch in middle school I think, and then in High School I got free lunch. I was never embarassed by it, although I was annoyed to go free, because before, instead of actually buying lunch I'd just save my lunch money and end up mooching off of my friends.

I think in high school the regular lunch price was $2.
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Our kid gets to share the savings if she brings a healthy home lunch...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I remember the days when school lunch was $0.20 (including either white or chocolate milk in bottles) before it got raised to a quarter. There was no free or reduced lunches except for kids whose parents worked for the plantation and were on strike. Those kids would get a wooden token to pay for the lunch during the duration of the strike. As I recall, there was no stigma attached to the situation.

Comment

My K-8 didn't have a cafeteria so every kid brought home lunch.

I went to a private high school (circa 10-15 years ago), and the lunch plates were always $2.50. A catering company ran our cafeteria, so we always had good food. Some employees worked as chefs in training at big hotels, so once in a while we'd get treated to yummy gourmet stuff. Nothing was ever more than $4.00, if I'm remembering correctly.

My school served breakfast as well. Nothing beats a huge loco moco plate for only $1.25!
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                You think your kids paying $1.25 for lunch every day is being excessive?

Do you think that you can provide your children with a comparable quality lunch (main course, salad, fruit, dessert/snack, half-pint milk carton) for significantly less than $1.25? Even if you bought all your groceries at Costco prices, that would be a challenge.

I think if I carefully shopped, I might be able to beat the $1.25 price by a few cents. But for me, the savings wouldn't be worth the effort.
                It cost the State about $4 to make a lunch so it loses $2.75
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

The first 3 or 4 years in elementary school, I had free lunch. After that my parents made enough money so that I didn't need that anymore, I guess. I never ate breakfast in elementary and middle school. For whatever reason, the food tasted disgusting. I seriously hated lunch in elementary, but in middle and high school I loovvved lunch. And in high school I also loved breakfast. I do remember that I was paying $1 in high school for lunch, I don't remember the cost for the others or breakfast.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Was I the only kid who went home for lunch? School was only a couple of blocks away. We all went home. There was no cafeteria - not even a vending machine. I think there was a cafeteria in high school, but I don't remember anyone ever going there. I only remember taking the SAT's in there. My son came home for lunch too. We had to scramble to make sure someone was home at that time every day. And when he was in high school, he took lunch every day.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                      Was I the only kid who went home for lunch? School was only a couple of blocks away. We all went home. There was no cafeteria - not even a vending machine. I think there was a cafeteria in high school, but I don't remember anyone ever going there. I only remember taking the SAT's in there. My son came home for lunch too. We had to scramble to make sure someone was home at that time every day. And when he was in high school, he took lunch every day.
                      The schools I attended prohibited us from leaving campus without proper permission.

I lived a couple of blocks from my K-8, but the time it took for me to walk home, eat lunch, and walk back was longer than lunchtime itself.

In high school, McDonalds was across the street, but it was forbidden to have an off campus lunch.
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I had reduced lunch in elementary and for intermediate school days. But I remember that I paid for my own lunch during high school. The lunch in high school during my days was only $0.75.
                        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I am so glad I saw this thread as it reminded me that I need to pay for my kids' school lunches (and breakfasts) soon - I think their funds in their accounts are getting low! They eat both breakfast and lunch in school every day unless they're going on a field trip, then we have to pack a home lunch...

i never had free or reduced when i went to school, but my hubby did (not sure which - free or reduced)
                          I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
                            I am so glad I saw this thread as it reminded me that I need to pay for my kids' school lunches (and breakfasts) soon - I think their funds in their accounts are getting low!
                            Mahalo for the reminder! I have to go into my boy's school and pay tomorrow as well.

It costs me $80.00/month for 2 boys to eat breakfast and lunch at school. It can cost a bit more than that if they have extra milk or ice cream. I used to only pay for lunch and feed them breakfast at home until I found out they were eating breakfast at school anyway. They like sitting with their friends at school during breakfast and eating before class so I said okay to it. They just don't get breakfast at home before school now. They don't need to eat two meals in a half hour.

I honestly can't remember if I had free, reduced, or full price lunch in elementary. I know in middle school and high school I sure the heck had to pay full price.
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                              It cost the State about $4 to make a lunch so it loses $2.75
                              If the DOE charges $4 for teachers/staff now, then I believe you are absolutely correct.

So I really don't know about some of the posts here that imply that public school lunches are too expensive. As Alohabear says, the lunches are subsidized for students, making it an almost unbeatable deal. The only way that parents can beat the $1.25 price is by skimping on the quality of the lunches, or worse yet, having them skip lunch entirely. IMO, not a good way for a family to try to save money.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X