Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

Default Re: Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Who in public school didn't worked in a cafeteria at one time or another, as a student helper?
    I was talking about students who would be cafe monitors on a daily basis, rather than the once or twice a year cafe duty that all students are subjected to.

Mine is like the classic Andy Bumatai's High School Daze.
    I was like "Andrew," who deliberately made a mess on the serving line just so that the cafe manager would excuse me from duty.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Who in public school didn't worked in a cafeteria at one time or another, as a student helper?
    Seems like several times in elementary, a couple of times in intermediate and once in high.

Sheesh. You guys making me feel old. I paid full boat - 25. At least until high school, then I started packing my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I was talking about students who would be cafe monitors on a daily basis, rather than the once or twice a year cafe duty that all students are subjected to.
    Meh. Shouldn't you need to meet requirements (including financial) before your kids can qualify for free or reduced lunch service, anyway?

Don't know about private schools, though I thought they usually prepay as part of their tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I was like "Andrew," who deliberately made a mess on the serving line just so that the cafe manager would excuse me from duty.
    Lucky you. My cafeteria managers (both elementary and intermediate-high) know my father, a UPW worker/custodian. I mess up, words reach him and I get lickin'.

I don't know which is the worse task? Being a dishwasher/tray stacker or server when you're holding up the tray line. I don't like using the spoon. You tray put a spoonful of applesauce quickly without splashing a bit on your apron.
    Last edited by Random; February 20th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Lucky you. My cafeteria managers (both elementary and intermediate-high) know my father, a UPW worker/custodian. I mess up, words reach him and I get lickin'.
    Wait a minute. Earlier, you said, "I had free lunch in elementary but reduced pay lunch in intermediate-high." You had free or reduced lunch, even though your father had a UPW job? Guess you must have had an awfully big family to qualify for free/reduced lunch.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
    I remember the days when school lunch was $0.20 (including either white or chocolate milk in bottles) before it got raised to a quarter. There was no free or reduced lunches except for kids whose parents worked for the plantation and were on strike. Those kids would get a wooden token to pay for the lunch during the duration of the strike. As I recall, there was no stigma attached to the situation.
    I'll bet them old days must have had long dirt roads with major potholes and strewn with glass too yeah? Ho yeah when I was one kid, da road to school was soooo bad...(HOW BAD WAS IT?)...
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

I agree you can't beat school lunch; especially since the boy loves it and comes home telling me what he had and how good it was. He never did that in South Carolina. Oh, wait, he says the wheat rolls are the same and taste just as good. I don't think the price is too high; I could not send hot, tasty food for the same price.

We never had to do cafeteria duties at my schools. (Plural because I moved a lot, so it wasn't just the single school, but all across the area. Or maybe I just always moved before it was my turn to do cafeteria duty :P ) But I'm pretty sure you did have to submit your tax forms to "prove" you couldn't afford lunch.

I agree with Alohabear, though. There were some years where we "weren't poor enough" to get assistance, but still didn't have the finances to "live comfortably". There was an ironic sort of victory when we were officially declared to be below the poverty level.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I'll bet them old days must have had long dirt roads with major potholes and strewn with glass too yeah? Ho yeah when I was one kid, da road to school was soooo bad...(HOW BAD WAS IT?)...
    Ohhh.... I know..... it was uphill - both ways

Quote Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
    Ohhh.... I know..... it was uphill - both ways
    And, you folks know how it rains in Hilo!

I heard some guy on a mainland sports radio show complain about the time it rained 24" in 30 days. Last month's Hilo "precipitation" was 24" in THREE days, with a high in the Waiakea Uka area of 46" in that same 72-hour period!

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
    And, you folks know how it rains in Hilo!

I heard some guy on a mainland sports radio show complain about the time it rained 24" in 30 days. Last month's Hilo "precipitation" was 24" in THREE days, with a high in the Waiakea Uka area of 46" in that same 72-hour period!
    don't think it was easy living through those rains.

pax

The reduced/free lunch program is all well and good but I think that it needs to be restuctured to account for school offenses like smoking.

If you are caught smoking in school (which SO many kids do) then you get a warning. Get caught again and if you are on reduced/free lunch you get that taken away from you.

The logic would be if you can afford to waste money on a $5 pack of smokes, you can afford a $1 for food, which is actually vital to your survival.
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    don't think it was easy living through those rains.
    And den there was the active volcano! Lava everywhere! But you still walked uphill to school.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Default School breakfast/lunch price going up again?

Oh oh! Yet another proposed increase in the price of school breakfast and lunch. Get ready for another chorus of moans and groans from the public school parents in HT.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...ls_prices.html

I had reduced lunches in Elementary thru Intermediate. And we lived in gov't housing.

No shame whatsoever. Food is food.

I don't remember any "free or reduced lunch" program back in the '50s, but there was a "free lunch" wooden token used by kids whose parent worked for the sugar plantation and was out on strike.

whoa at back in the 50's - *curtsies* much respect

whoa - free lunches - yay!

now i come from the dirt....and between divorced parents...i absolutely had free lunches....i had one parent (mother) who lived in the projects and one (father) who lived in the suburban neighborhoods with the step mother

i was a helper in the cafeteria always hitting up the cafeteria woman for snacks in between classes in high school - however i was never ashamed of my free lunches - never ashamed of where i'm from either - the projects

i only wished now i had free lunches for lunch at work

mahalo have a pleasant week
    stay forever young

Yes I got free lunches and I am not ashamed. As a child I was brought up in France by my nan. We were poor but she taught me so many things about how to make a meal out of vertually anything.
    I was given tickets to hand in at school for the free lunch and I never thought anything of it. Most of the children had the same tickets as me.

If I can just briefly explain that some parts of France were poverty stricken after WW2. Where I was brought up in Brest on the coast, we relied a lot on sea-food or what we could grow.

I remember a shipment of bananas coming in when I was seven. I got one and didn't know you had to peel it before you ate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Where I was brought up in Brest on the coast, we relied a lot on sea-food or what we could grow.
    That's the best meal....if you ask me!!! what we grow and harvest and that from the ocean (sea-food).

Have a pleasant week
    stay forever young

I suspect we qualified for free/reduced lunch but my parents were too proud to apply. Ironic since our neighbors got "gub'ment cheese" and shared it with us.

In any case, public school lunches are a deal...but, have they gotten any healthier?? I remember we were given JUNK when I was a kid: pizza, fries, burgers etc. Not that I was complaining! Still, I try very hard not to give my kiddos that stuff on a daily basis. It would be nice to know all my hard work will not be undermined when they reach school age.

70(s) couldn't beat da' fabulous package lunch at 25 cents. No, neva' qualify for the those benefits, even though parents were already retired. Beat that, huh? Jus' was shy, under the mark. So, as a kid, still had to work myself. Nobody choosy to work, then ... even tho' came hard times.
    ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Quote Originally Posted by spookrepitus View Post
    I suspect we qualified for free/reduced lunch but my parents were too proud to apply. Ironic since our neighbors got "gub'ment cheese" and shared it with us.

In any case, public school lunches are a deal...but, have they gotten any healthier?? I remember we were given JUNK when I was a kid: pizza, fries, burgers etc. Not that I was complaining! Still, I try very hard not to give my kiddos that stuff on a daily basis. It would be nice to know all my hard work will not be undermined when they reach school age.
    It's much more healthier. We have cut the fat and are serving more whole grains and low fat milk. My school even has a salad lunch daily.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

I am deliberately putting this short story here because it IS about free lunches.

In France my family cured pigs and hung them up in the shed. It wasn't grand enough to be called a barn. They were covered in rough Belgian lace from the market to stop them getting fly blown.
    Like SusieMisajohn has described. The thin slices were delicious and I used to try to get the fatty parts because French bread goes stale very quickly, to keep the bread on the go and taste a bit fresh.

I was walking across the fields to school. Reading my catechism and avoiding standing in animal droppings. I was called a heretic by the other children 'cause I was not born in France.

There was a tall girl outside school. Very pale and thin. If the sun would have shone it would have gone right through her. I shared some of my breakfast with her and she told me that it was her first day at the school. So she was going into the 'big girls class.' (Wow ! 3 years older than me and I was 7).

I asked her what her name was and where she had come from. So she told me that she was from Saarbrucken on the German border and everybody called her "Jew Dog." When I pressed her for her real name,,,, she looked down at her sandals and quietly whispered Anna.

With one of my free dinner tickets in her hand we went into school.
    Anna was like an older sister to me and never let go of my hand . My family managed to get them some assistance in the way of food and clothing.

Can I say by the way of a p.s. ? Anna is now a Granny and even though they have their own pigs on the farm she still says that nothing tasted better than the breakfast ham I shared with her,
    Last edited by Barry; March 9th, 2009 at 06:54 AM.

I had free lunch in elementary school. single mom. it was way embarrassing then because we lived in Hawaii Kai and they made the free lunch kids go to the office every morning to pick up their tolkins.15 cents breakfast, 25 cents lunch. everybody teased the free lunch kids. I remember prices changing to 25 cents and 35 cents a couple of years later. then they gave out little laminated tickets instead of tolkins. still had stigma but then we lived in Kaneohe and a lot more kids had free lunch. by high school, they were mandated to stop "segragating" kids and keep the free/reduced status private. I don't remember how but I know there was no account like there is now and by then, (in Waialua now) we just raided the change jar and went across the street for hot dog and rice. campus security turned their heads. by the way, anybody know if that little store is still there? I loved school food, it was so good. the garbage served to kids now is criminal. we did cafeteria duty in el and middle school. I loved duty days cause we always got 2 lunches. for years school breakfast and lunch was the only food I got.

My son came home last week and asked me what a "hot luncher" was? I had no idea but he told me the context that he had heard the term - he was responsible for showing a new kid (from the mainland) around school and when they went to the cafeteria, the kid told my son he didn't want to sit with my son's friends because they were "hot lunchers!"

I had to get my husband (also from the mainland) to explain to me that the new kid was expressing his prejudice that since those kids were eating HOT LUNCHES, they must be on the free/reduced lunch program and must be POOR so he didn't want to sit next to them! I couldn't believe it!

I have THREE kids and pay about $120 a month so they can eat hot lunch and breakfast at school. I wish I could qualify for free or reduced lunch for them and we did start having them make their lunch but it is just so much easier for them to eat at school. I hope this kind of attitude isn't prevalent at school because you don't (and shouldn't) know who is on the free or reduced program.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

I never had free or reduced lunches during my childhood school time. In my school district, there were a lot of kids who did. This was in town near Mayor Wright housing and Palama.

I don't remember any serious stigma problems but I think a few kids were a little embarassed. But some of the kids who got lunch tokens were tough kids and you don't want to mess with them. Whatever your family finances are, I didn't have a problem with it.

I think my parents could have signed us up for the free lunch program. But they never wanted to rely on any government assistance. Maybe they were too proud or it was just a cultural thing. They were Asian immigrants. Maybe they wanted to do this their way. I really don't know.

The school food tasted okay. We did get pizza, hamburgers and fries but it wasn't continuously on the menu. We always had vegetables and not just the lettuce salad. There was beans or carrots or something I would approve of even today.

I remember the tough kids would start asking for money from the other kids. This started after elementary school when some of the kids got into bad behavior.

Everyone knew it was a robbery even if it was always prefaced with, I like "borrow" quarter. I remember getting a pass if I said it was my lunch money. That seemed to be off-limits for even the meanest bullies. I guess there was some compassion because they know how rough it was to not get your meal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast