Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who had reduced or free lunch in school?

I never had breakfast in school before. What does that involve? Is it part of the school day or just for the kids who arrive early before class starts?
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I had free lunch too at my elementary school when it was 25 cents. By the time it went up, I had reduce lunch and it cost me 15 cents to get the tolken. My teacher did say "no shame" on the "free" lunches. If your family needed it. It's there. We needed it back then, but I did feel a bit unconfortable, as I got older. By HS, sometimes I would just pay full price (like my friends) because I didn't want to get my tolken.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        If the DOE charges $4 for teachers/staff now, then I believe you are absolutely correct.

So I really don't know about some of the posts here that imply that public school lunches are too expensive. As Alohabear says, the lunches are subsidized for students, making it an almost unbeatable deal. The only way that parents can beat the $1.25 price is by skimping on the quality of the lunches, or worse yet, having them skip lunch entirely. IMO, not a good way for a family to try to save money.
        I manage the cafe here in Hilo and was told at one one of our meetings that the BOE only wants to raise the price of the "paid" kids. In my 25years in the cafeteria, full price lunches have went from $.75 to $ 1.25, but the reduce rate has never been pass $.20. SFS branch that runs the lunch program tells us that they have the option to raise the reduce price to $.50, but are always rejected by the (elected) BOE.

IMO, the people "who can afford" always get screwed. Raising the reduce price will only bring more money that School Food Services can use .
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

On a side note: I used to love cafeteria food. The cafeteria ladies used to make everything like a home cooked meal. It was something they did for 20+ years. They were like your mom. There was pride in what they did.

By the time I got to intermediate school, the quality started to go down. The cafeteria ladies just slap the food together because it was their job for this month.

Bt the time I was in high school, I could not eat some of the stuff they served. The cafeteria workers look like they came from OCCC. The best thing was the 2% Viva milk, because it was packaged and made by someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
            I never had breakfast in school before. What does that involve? Is it part of the school day or just for the kids who arrive early before class starts?
            Wasn't part of the day or any schedule at my schools. Just anyone who wanted could get breakfast at 7:30 'til 5 minutes before the bell unless they ran out but they usually didn't.
            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post

My HS cafeteria opened at around 5:30-6:00 in the morning. They had a great breakfast menu: 2 eggs (however you like em) and breakfast meats and rice; loco moco; short stacks; grilled cheese sandwiches; etc. etc. and most items were less than $3.00. Breakfast was served until the first bell rang when everyone had to report to homeroom.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Yeah, at the public elementary school that my kids attend, they serve breakfast from 7:00 am until about 7:30. Because of our work schedules, we pay for "morning care" and drop them off at school at around 6:45 - 7 am anyways so they eat breakfast there.
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Back in my hanabutta days, I had free lunch in elementary but reduced pay lunch in intermediate-high. Ironic since I opted for buying $1 snack during morning recess and skipped lunch period.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                    IMO, the people "who can afford" always get screwed. Raising the reduce price will only bring more money that School Food Services can use .
                    Wow, the price on reduced lunch is still frozen at 20 cents? Yeah, I would agree that a slight increase is called for.

Maybe the BOE reasons that if they increased the price on reduced lunch, those parents affected will respond by opting to have their kids skip lunch entirely.

I would say that those parents who insist they cannot pay more than 20 cents for reduced lunch should agree to having their children serve as cafe monitors or given some kind of duty that would not involve them from missing class. Maybe that would instill within those children the idea of working to get something, rather than expecting a handout.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I would say that those parents who insist they cannot pay more than 20 cents for reduced lunch should agree to having their children serve as cafe monitors or given some kind of duty that would not involve them from missing class.
                      Who in public school didn't worked in a cafeteria at one time or another, as a student helper?

Mine is like the classic Andy Bumatai's High School Daze.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        Who in public school didn't worked in a cafeteria at one time or another, as a student helper?
                        I was talking about students who would be cafe monitors on a daily basis, rather than the once or twice a year cafe duty that all students are subjected to.

Mine is like the classic Andy Bumatai's High School Daze.
                        I was like "Andrew," who deliberately made a mess on the serving line just so that the cafe manager would excuse me from duty.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Seems like several times in elementary, a couple of times in intermediate and once in high.

Sheesh. You guys making me feel old. I paid full boat - 25ยข. At least until high school, then I started packing my own.

Comment

I was talking about students who would be cafe monitors on a daily basis, rather than the once or twice a year cafe duty that all students are subjected to.
                            Meh. Shouldn't you need to meet requirements (including financial) before your kids can qualify for free or reduced lunch service, anyway?

Don't know about private schools, though I thought they usually prepay as part of their tuition.

I was like "Andrew," who deliberately made a mess on the serving line just so that the cafe manager would excuse me from duty.
                            Lucky you. My cafeteria managers (both elementary and intermediate-high) know my father, a UPW worker/custodian. I mess up, words reach him and I get lickin'.

I don't know which is the worse task? Being a dishwasher/tray stacker or server when you're holding up the tray line. I don't like using the spoon. You tray put a spoonful of applesauce quickly without splashing a bit on your apron.
                            Last edited by Random; February 20, 2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Lucky you. My cafeteria managers (both elementary and intermediate-high) know my father, a UPW worker/custodian. I mess up, words reach him and I get lickin'.
                              Wait a minute. Earlier, you said, "I had free lunch in elementary but reduced pay lunch in intermediate-high." You had free or reduced lunch, even though your father had a UPW job? Guess you must have had an awfully big family to qualify for free/reduced lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                                I remember the days when school lunch was $0.20 (including either white or chocolate milk in bottles) before it got raised to a quarter. There was no free or reduced lunches except for kids whose parents worked for the plantation and were on strike. Those kids would get a wooden token to pay for the lunch during the duration of the strike. As I recall, there was no stigma attached to the situation.
                                I'll bet them old days must have had long dirt roads with major potholes and strewn with glass too yeah? Ho yeah when I was one kid, da road to school was soooo bad...(HOW BAD WAS IT?)...
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X