Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

The spoils of war goes to the deepest pocket and highest bidder.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As if things couldn't get any stranger. Getting rid of the lawsuit will be nice for them, but I wonder how much good buying the name will be. The locals won't be fooled and the visitors don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        The weirdest twist yet[...]
        That just plain, ol' SUCKS. Shame on Mesa/go. I'd paddle to an outer island before I'd fork over a single dollar to that company.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          As if things couldn't get any stranger. Getting rid of the lawsuit will be nice for them, but I wonder how much good buying the name will be. The locals won't be fooled and the visitors don't care.
          I think this is where the comment about putting lipstick on a pig might be appropriate? No matter what name is painted on the plane................they are still gonna be pigs!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

As much as everyone is bitchin' about Mesa/Go possibly buying the Aloha Airlines trademark and name, no one ever complained about the low prices they brought into the market, even when those passengers flew on Hawaiian or Aloha Airlines at the low-end Go prices during the fare war.

Most consumers were happy for the low prices that Mesa/Go did bring to the market, no matter how ridiculously low they became. Mesa/Go made a huge gamble in the market with the low fares to the point where they almost went broke themselves, lawsuits and all. But it looks like in the end, they end up winning most of the battles if not the war outright.

And sure enough, when Aloha left the passenger market, fares spiked up on both Hawaiian and Go (also Island Air and the smaller carriers) with the lowest fare hovering at around $79 and $89 for a time.

Then Mokulele decided to play with the big boys... and guess what? Fares have lowered again in a 3-way interisland jet market. $45 seem to be the going rate for now, though I think $59 is about the regular on the low end.

Bottom line no matter who the competition is, the market has proven in a 3-way race, fares will be lowered or at least stabilized at a level of less than what Hawaiian Airlines would want.

The bottom line is that this is a business, and a cut-throat one to be sure. Predatory practices and low fares have won the day for Mesa/Go and the public loved it, no matter who the casualty was along the way.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Bottom line no matter who the competition is, the market has proven in a 3-way race, fares will be lowered or at least stabilized at a level of less than what Hawaiian Airlines would want.

The bottom line is that this is a business, and a cut-throat one to be sure. Predatory practices and low fares have won the day for Mesa/Go and the public loved it, no matter who the casualty was along the way.
              Uh Mel, you're only supposed to have one bottom line, not two.

I agree with you on the substance. Cut-throat business tactics and price wars that led to the demise of Aloha Airlines are nothing new. It was what Aloha and Hawaiian did to upstarts like Mid-Pacific, Discovery, and Mahalo. It's just that the last time around, the tables were turned on Aloha as they found themselves being squeezed by the new big fish in the interisland pond, Mesa.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i have one opinion on this,since mesa aka go airline's forced our original aloha airline's out of business and then now they want to take the aloha name,they dont have right's is they'd be sued and they'd be forced out of business and i read on the internet when you put in yahoo on mesa go airline's that they did this to a number of companie's and they in turn were forced out by mesa aka go airline's so this is why they did this to aloha and Ata and other's here so i thought to share this true fact's with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  Uh Mel, you're only supposed to have one bottom line, not two.
                  Sorry for the 2 bottoms.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    As much as everyone is bitchin' about Mesa/Go possibly buying the Aloha Airlines trademark and name, no one ever complained about the low prices they brought into the market, even when those passengers flew on Hawaiian or Aloha Airlines at the low-end Go prices during the fare war.

Most consumers were happy for the low prices that Mesa/Go did bring to the market, no matter how ridiculously low they became. Mesa/Go made a huge gamble in the market with the low fares to the point where they almost went broke themselves, lawsuits and all. But it looks like in the end, they end up winning most of the battles if not the war outright.

And sure enough, when Aloha left the passenger market, fares spiked up on both Hawaiian and Go (also Island Air and the smaller carriers) with the lowest fare hovering at around $79 and $89 for a time.

Then Mokulele decided to play with the big boys... and guess what? Fares have lowered again in a 3-way interisland jet market. $45 seem to be the going rate for now, though I think $59 is about the regular on the low end.

*scoffs loudly* HAH!

What $49 fare? I didn't get that coming from and going to Molokai.

I flipped my birds at all the airlines, including Hawaiian and Aloha that ditched us, and go! Express and Mokulele for not giving us the same fare as the Maui and Honolulu routes.

As for Mesa-Aloha deal, legally they can do that but I'm not buying into it. It's still Mesa. If Mokulele can drive Mesa-go! out of our inter-island business, I'm all for it.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

There's something terribly wrong about Go! using Aloha's trade name after what they did.

My business goes to Island Air.

Comment

Judge King blocks Mesa from using the Aloha Airlines name till Feb.09. What a blow to go! and Yucaipa.
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I loved the judge's response, "takes the term Aloha and turns it on its head" and including the statement, "is it all about money?" And the attorneys..."Yes, it's about the money."

Good judge; good to see one that doesn't fall into the "lenient" category.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                            My business goes to Island Air.
                            I would go to Island Air if they would lengthen their seat belt without my having to ask for an extender.

Mokulele's Cessna Caravan -- smaller than Island Air's Dash-8 -- have seat belts that can accommodate my girth ... without an extender.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

If Go Airlines can't get the Aloha name. Why not go with AHOLA? It worked with a company called HARPO.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i just heard on the news that the two pilot's of go airline's told the truth when they shared that they did fall asleep and that the co-pilot was asleep only he knew what was going on,only he wasnt able to respond and they both were fired and The Chief who responded said he couldnt believe what he read on the NTSB about the truth of the pilot's of Go-airline's so I thought to share this truth with everyone.

Im Still hoping Go-airline's doesnt get aloha's name is if this what will happen with their pilot's,no telling that their could be a mishap or serious accident,may anyone agree?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Working...
                                X