Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOH Closed Sekiya's for E. Coli

from today's star bulletin:

Sekiya's Restaurant and Delicatessen has closed temporarily since the state Health Department suspended its permit Saturday because of seven illnesses from E. coli bacteria.

The restaurant has been temporarily shut down while more extensive maintenance is conducted, including removal of all food products and supplies; complete disinfection and cleaning of the entire restaurant; management's and employees' attendance of a comprehensive course on food safety; and owner development of managerial controls to ensure the health code is followed.
    i knew this was going to happen, sooner or later. seven years ago, a friend of mine was hired to work in their kitchen. within three days he quit out of disgust. he said management either encouraged kitchen practices that were completely insanitary, or management constantly chose to look the other way when the staff did things that they shouldn't do. there was no practice of separation of meat from vegetables so bacterial contamination was a statistical likelihood. the guy training my friend told him to put some vegetables on a broken down box that was clearly streaked with raw meat juices. the staff rarely washed their hands, even when moving from working with meat to working with vegetables. additionally, my friend was told to use the boxes that food came in as chopping boards.

i'm glad the DOH shut them down to investigate and educate. there is NO excuse for such sloppy practices in a commercial kitchen.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: DOH Closed Sekiya's for E. Coli

Damn. Now where am I going to go when I'm in the mood for hiyashi somen?

Comment

Just reading Cyn's post sent chills up my spine.

Ewwwl.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When I used to work for the Gas Company we had service guys that would go into the kitchens of virtually all of Hawaii's commercial Chinese kitchens. A couple of places in Chinatown were so bad that there were wooden pallets covering the kitchen floors so you wouldn't step on the sticky greasy floors.

One of the service guys told me he saw a small rat embedded in the stuff trying to escape (I guess it was pretty deep at that kitchen).

Word to the wise...if you love to eat in restaurants, don't go visit the kitchens. It may change your mind on that establishment.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I used to deliver soda as a summer job and I agree with Craig about seeing the kitchens.

Then again some things in the food may be the "secret sauce" that keeps us coming back.
          just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            i'm glad the DOH shut them down to investigate and educate. there is NO excuse for such sloppy practices in a commercial kitchen.
            Oh, man. Escherichia coli is NOT a bacterium to f*** around with.

Comment

Maybe a lack of disposable income isn't such a bad thing! I love pho, but I do wonder...
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I know the DoH checks up on restaurants periodically or when there's a complaint but on a day to day basis the safety of eating in restaurants just seems to be a matter of trust on the part of the consumer. A doctor friend and I had this discussion last year after one of the magazine type tv shows did an expose. The hidden camera footage was completely gross.

Comment

Oh, oh, I went to Sekiya's just a couple of weeks ago ..........

Comment

Sounds gross, what's going on in Sekiya's. But once it re-opens up and the wave of bad publicity passes, they'll be fine.

Remember, this is an island where people love lunchwagon food, where hot and sweaty workers in the van go splashin' their perspiration on the stuff that is being cooked.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I was talking to the owner of Maple Garden restaurant in the kitchen when a piece of chopped eggplant fell off the cutting board and onto the grease-blackened floor.

He picked it up and tossed it into the pile of "clean" eggplant that was ready to cook.

Now, granted that vegetables are more or less sitting on dirt before they get to the restaurant. But you'd think he'd have the sense to chuck that little bit of profit into the trash when there's a witness present!

On the other hand there are some major hotel kitchens that are spotless. And places like 3660 on the Rise are kept very clean since they're working behind glass where everyone can see them.

Comment

*deleted*

decided to PM instead. sorry.
                        Last edited by cynsaligia; February 28, 2008, 12:35 AM.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Sekiya Allowed To Reopen After E.Coli Cases
                          The Department of Health reinstated Sekiya's Restaurant's permit, but the Kaimuki restaurant is not serving food yet. The Department of Health suspended the restaurant's permit after it confirmed seven related E. coli cases; six in December and one last month. Since then, the restaurant has been disinfected and cleaned, all food and supplies removed and the staff has taken a food safety class.

Comment

You first! Really, go right ahead! No, no problem! All yours!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                            X