X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 2

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    And if you want to continue posting links to these sleazy articles, that's up to you. It's your credibility and reputation (not Obama's) that's going to be damaged here the most.
    Now that I've stopped laughing at your crocodile-like concern for my delicate reputation...wait, wait, just one more fit of laughter...okay, I'm fine now.

I have been reading columns, opinion pieces and book reviews written by "Spengler" at Asia Times for nearly a decade. He follows a long tradition of thinkers who write anonymously for a variety of reasons and his true identity has been the subject of much speculation amongst his devoted readers who vigorously debate Spengler's take on the topic du jour - BHO just happens to be a recent subject. The Complete Spengler is available online for those keen on reading thought-provoking opinons expressed in decidedly non-PC terms.

And, at the risk of further endangering my lily white reputation *pauses for more laughter*, I will offer the following articles; the first of which looks at BHO's relationship with Tony Rezko whose trial starts today. From the NY Times article:

Tony Rezko was obviously in trouble. He was a defendant in at least a dozen lawsuits, federal investigators in Chicago were poking around, and his name was in newspaper articles about corruption and fraud.

None of that stopped Mr. Rezko, a politically connected developer, and Senator Barack Obama from completing real estate deals a few years ago that resulted in the Obamas obtaining their dream house and the Rezkos buying an empty lot next door.
    The article makes claims that BHO did not do favors for Rezko:

Mr. Obama’s name is likely to surface during the trial, if only because $10,000 of the money Mr. Rezko is accused of extorting wound up in Mr. Obama’s 2004 Senate campaign. There is nothing to indicate that Mr. Obama did any favors for Mr. Rezko, but there is ample evidence that Mr. Rezko did favors for Mr. Obama.
    This is contradicated by a report in the Chicago Sun-Times which chronicles letters written by BHO supporting Rezko's efforts to get $14 million from tax payers for senior housing. BHO has sought to diffuse concern about his real estate deal with Rezko by calling it "boneheaded". No kidding.

The next article examines the media's treatment of BHO and has a number of links to various stories which didn't gain traction the first time around though they may be garnering more interest at this point in the campaign.
    The Illinois senator still hasn't faced the sort of negative onslaught that generally envelops presidential front-runners. But after a year of defying the laws of journalistic gravity, he is being brought back to earth.
    'Soft' Press Sharpens Its Focus on Obama

Regarding the primaries tomorrow. I do hope that HRC pulls out at least one win; it's too soon for the fun to end. I'm still holding onto hope that we'll get a real convention this year and not just a coronation.

Comment

The main page at CNN.com ran another poll today:
      Who are you rooting for in Tuesday's contests? (listed in alphabetical order):

Clinton... 30%... 54,834
      Huckabee... 9%... 15,983
      McCain... 15%... 27,747
      Obama... 46%... 83,531

Total Votes: 182,095

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Inouye, quiet? I guess you missed the story about our senior senator putting his foot in his mouth.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...802260354.html
        Well how can one be quiet while having one's foot in their mouth? Unless they're talking out of their ass like a true politician. MAN...what talent!

BUT and it's a big one If one can truly believe that Punahou ISN'T an elitist school, then they haven't been hanging out with the have nots!

Punahou is the epitome of elite here in Hawaii. Just ask anyone of us Kalani High and Roosevelt High school Punahou rejects Let's get real, Punahou is the most elite school in Hawaii.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 3, 2008, 09:37 PM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Well how can one be quiet while having one's foot in their mouth? Unless they're talking out of their ass like a true politician. MAN...what talent!

BUT and it's a big one If one can truly believe that Punahou ISN'T an elitist school, then they haven't been hanging out with the have nots!

Punahou is the epitome of elite here in Hawaii. Just ask anyone of us Kalani High and Roosevelt High school Punahou rejects Let's get real, Punahou is the most elite school in Hawaii.
          No comment on all that.

I'm just surprised that a shrewd and experienced politician like Inouye didn't say the same thing and kept his thoughts about Punahou School under his hat. He must be getting a lil' old. <g>

But seriously,... I think the local backlash against his comments about Obama/Punahou have underscored one significant thing. Inouye is about to be eclipsed by Obama as the most powerful and successful politician ever to come from the state of Hawaii. Me thinks Inouye did not quite come to grips with that fact until his comment stirred up that mini-hornet's nest.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

One thing about Daniel Inouye was his loyal following of Nisei constituents. The problem is that most of them are dying off as a newer generation of Democrats take over and have no loyalty to Mr. Inouye.

I think today's Democrats and to some extent some Republicans want a fresh change to the status quo and Obama represents that mood swing.

Comment

I didn't vote for Obama, and won't if he is the Dem nominee, but I really hope he wins Texas and Ohio. I'd love for the Clintons to finally be gone from the presidential scene, or at least limit it to buffoonish Bill. Also, I detest how her campaign used the race card to pull Obama down, and then how she recently said that she doesn't believe Obama is a Muslim "as far as I know." She has no honor.
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Today's poll at CNN.com, with 300,000 votes:
                Who would you prefer to have answer a White House crisis phone call at 3 a.m.? (listed alphabetically):

Hillary Clinton... 25%... 72,994
                Mike Huckabee... 6%... 17,495
                John McCain... 32%... 93,763
                Barack Obama... 37%... 109,569

Total Votes: 293,821

Comment

Personally I'd love to hear Forrest Gump answer that phone when all hell breaks loose.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Today's poll at CNN.com, with 300,000 votes:
                    Well, that poll is still up and open, and they've got over 500,000 votes now! :
                    Who would you prefer to have answer a White House crisis phone call at 3 a.m.?

Hillary Clinton... 25%... 124,658
                    Mike Huckabee... 6%... 28,984
                    John McCain... 30%... 153,022
                    Barack Obama... 39%... 197,701

Total Votes: 504,365
                    Doesn't matter what Huckabee got any more, since he just officially dropped out of the race.

Comment

As it stands now, Obama has won Vermont, Clinton has won Rhode Island.

In Ohio, Clinton 59%, Obama 39%. In Texas, Obama 51%, Clinton 47% with less than 10% of the votes in. Earlier, Obama led 53% to 46%. Many more votes to be tallied. Charges of voting irregularities in Ohio and Texas, by both sides.

McCain in a sweep and he has clinched the GOP nomination.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Personally I'd love to hear Forrest Gump answer that phone when all hell breaks loose.
                        Or Kinky Friedman. Anybody know who he is? (Think Frank Zappa, but less well known.)
                        I remember him from the '70s, as his country-rock band had a rather memorable name -- Kinky Friedman & The Texas Jewboys.
                        The reason I mention him is that I just got off work and was watching CNN Headline News. They're doing election coverage, of course, and all of a sudden there was Kinky as a guest commentator. I didn't realize that he ran for Governor of Texas in 2006 and got 13% of the vote. A very funny and very brilliant guy.
                        Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman (born November 1, 1944) is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas.
                        (...)
                        Born in Chicago to Jewish parents, Dr. S. Thomas Friedman and Minnie Samet Friedman, Friedman moved with his family to a ranch in central Texas during his childhood. He had a keen interest in both music and chess at an early age. Friedman was chosen when he was 7 to be one of 50 local chess players to challenge U.S. grand master Samuel Reshevsky to simultaneous matches in Houston. While Reshevsky won all 50 matches, Friedman was by far the youngest competitor.
                        Friedman graduated from Austin High School in Austin, Texas in 1962 and graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1966 with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology while participating in the Plan II Honors program. He is also a member of the Tau Delta Phi fraternity. Friedman then served two years with the Peace Corps on the island of Borneo in Malaysia. He also founded Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch, the mission of which is to care for stray, abused and aging animals; more than 1,000 dogs have been saved from animal euthanasia.
                        (...)
                        Friedman formed his first band, King Arthur & the Carrots while a student at the University of Texas. The band - which poked fun at surf music - recorded only one single in 1966 (Schwinn 24/Beach Party Boo Boo).
                        By 1971, Friedman had formed his second band, Kinky Friedman and The Texas Jewboys. In keeping with the band's satirical nature, each member had a comical name: in addition to Kinky there was Little Jewford, Big Nig, Panama Red, Wichita Culpepper, Sky Cap Adams, Rainbow Colours, and Snakebite Jacobs. Friedman's father objected to the name of the band, calling it a "negative, hostile, peculiar thing", which gave Kinky even more reason to choose the name.
                        Arriving on the wave of country rock following on from Gram Parsons, The Band, and the Eagles, Friedman originally found cult fame as a country and western singer. His break came in 1973 thanks to Commander Cody, who contacted Vanguard Music on his behalf. Friedman released Kinky Friedman in 1974 for ABC Records, then toured with Bob Dylan in 1975-6. His repertoire mixed social commentary ("We Reserve The Right To Refuse Service To You") and maudlin ballads ("Western Union Wire") with raucous humor (such as "Get Your Biscuits In The Oven and Your Buns In Bed"). His "Ride' em Jewboy" was an extended tribute to the victims of the Holocaust.
                        He made a race baiting song, "They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore," a song in which Kinky verbally and physically beats up a drunken white person he deems "racist" who fictitiously berates African Americans, Jews, Greeks, and Sigma Nus in a bar.
                        Sample lyrics:

"Oh, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
                        They ain't makin' carpenters that know what nails are for"

Other Friedman tunes include "The Ballad of Charles Whitman," in which Friedman lampooned Whitman's sniper attack from the University of Texas tower on August 1, 1966. His cover of Chinga Chavin's "Asshole from El Paso", a parody of Merle Haggard's "Okie from Muskogee" is, perhaps, his most famous song.
                        You can Google on Kinky Friedman for his website, blog, and tons more. And now you know why I was shocked to see him on CNN, where he had the anchors (and me too) laughing a lot. I hope he does a ton more political commentary.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Or Kinky Friedman. Anybody know who he is? --- I didn't realize that he ran for Governor of Texas in 2006 and got 13% of the vote.
                          Hell, yes! Followed his campaign, too. His writings are a real kick in the rear.

Comment

The Advertiser's Mike Leidemann is a true fan of Kinky Friedman. That's who I learned about him from. Mike also likes a guy named Commander Cody.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Hell, yes!
                              I figured you'd know who he was, even though you're too young.

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                              The Advertiser's Mike Leidemann is a true fan of Kinky Friedman. That's who I learned about him from. Mike also likes a guy named Commander Cody.
                              Commander Cody just played here a month or so ago, yeah?
                              And tell Mike he needs to watch CNN to see Kinky.
                              (Geez, there's a sentence I never imagined writing. )

Comment

Kinky Friedman sounds like quite the character. Sometimes I wish I had cable TV.

---

Can you guess which 2 high-profile Republicans are happy with Hillary's win in TX & OH, but they're happy for different reasons?
                                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                                X