HT Annual Picnic - April 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT Annual Picnic - April 20

Don't not go because of the doggies. We won't tell on you!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

well, i was gonna just put the sad face as my post, but my message was too short...

I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Not bringing pasta salad afterall. I realized I don't want to have to haul anything with me afterwards so I'll probably pick up something premade (and disposable) along the way.

And apologies for the stupid question, but how exactly does one get to Magic Island? Like, say, riding the bus? And is the picnic area easy to find? I don't want to go trundling off in the wrong direction.
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
          And is the picnic area easy to find? I don't want to go trundling off in the wrong direction.
          Hahaha! I was wondering that too. I am totally unfamiliar with Magic Island. Never been there. And we will likely be trundling under a full load. Chairs, a blanket, food, purse, misc. other stuff....

For those of you who have been there, what's good to bring? Is it like a campsite? Are there trees? Any shade? Restrooms nearby? Running water somewhere? Grills? Parking! Ack! What's up with parking?

Is there good surf nearby? A beach, maybe?

Comment

Magic Island is part of the Ala Moana Beach Park, the park itself is across the street from Ala Moana Shopping Center.

I don't know where you are coming from but if you end up at Ala Moana Shopping Center you can pick up food from Foodland and walk towards the Mauka Food Court or the Ala Moana Slipper House on the ground level.

There is a T intersection into Ala Moana Blvd. On the far side of that intersection is a covered wooden rust colored bus stop (which the #42 Waikiki Beach and Hotels stop at).

From that bus stop, facing the ocean you should see a couple of ponds with a green foot bridge on the left hand side. Cross that bridge, into a small parking lot, cross another street at the crosswalk, you should see another parking lot enterance on the left hand side. There is a sidewalk that borders the water, just keep the water (and Diamond Head) on your left hand side.

When the sidewalk T's to the right, do not turn right, just keep going towards the rocks in the distance and after about a hundered feet from the previous foot intersection is picnic site #40. There is a blue sign that indicates it.

Comment

A PDF map of Magic Island:

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/p...sleparkmap.pdf

And some photos from my Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/helen_rapozo/2407254554/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/helen_rapozo/2407254778/
              (the photo above has the view if you past the picnic site)

No campsites, got trees for shade, a couple of trees have a table underneath it, there is restroom not far away. A protected beach not very far away. Surfing is doable but you have to walk a slightly farther distance to access it.

I can't remember the grilling situation but in previous gatherings people brought their own stuff.
              Last edited by helen; April 17, 2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

We can bring a very small grill. It will probably still be in my car after the Kokua Fest!

Comment

Helen!!
                  Thank's so much for the map and the pretty pictures! Ala Moana park looks pretty cool! We're even more excited to go picnicking now!
                  See everyone Saturday!

Comment

go super early as parking is a bitch at Magic Island. It's basically ground zero for weekend beach events.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      See everyone Saturday!
                      The picnic is on Sunday (April 20).

Comment

Oh Nooo! Hope there's parking nearby, as we are definately gonna be latecomers.

Even if it's not so nearby. We like to walk.

But I haven't gotten the hang of parking 'the bomber' yet. (That's my car) So parallel parking is out. Meh.

Comment

Uh, yeah, that's what I meant. Sunday

Teeheee, we're just SO excited for our Kokua Saturday! It's all we can talk about at my place tonight!

Comment

Thank you Helen for the very detailed explaination! Turns out I'm familiar with the area I just didn't know what it was called.
                            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              Oh Nooo! Hope there's parking nearby, as we are definately gonna be latecomers. Even if it's not so nearby. We like to walk.
                              Magic Island is where the largest parking lot for the whole Ala Moana Beach Park area is located. (In fact, pretty much the rest of it is parallel parking!) It can get crowded, but it's not that bad as parks and parking lots go.

If you're walkers, of course, you can skip hunting for a stall at Magic Island and just park at Ala Moana Center. (Not that this course of action is officially sanctioned or supported, yada yada yada...) Build the picnic into a shopping trip? In any case, plenty of parking there, across the street from the park.

Potluck wise, supply wise, bring whatever you want or whatever you need. For just yourselves or 20 people. The overall event now has a "pizza sponsor" courtesy LavaNet and our own Pali T. Ka'aihue (whose sadly not going to be able to join us), so I'm mostly worried about drinks and tables if you've got any to share or spare.

The mix of folks is shaping up to be insanely great. Can't wait to see y'all, and everyone else there.

Comment

Burt posted where Section 40 is on Flicker:
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/bytemarks/2423736794/

Looking forward to meeting you All!

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X