Oprah's Big Give on ABC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oprah's Big Give on ABC

Okay just got thru watching thee first installment of "Big Give".......

It's similar to CBS "The Big Race" where team members that are paired in 2's must perform the ultimate miracle for needy indivuduals (from what I got out of seeing episode #1)

Looks like A pretty good show being that its OPRAH and the company I am w/ is a sponsor and there is a scene featured where there is a shopping spree going on and did not see it in tonites show that I saw.

tsk tsk on the 2 ladies that got lost

Re: Oprah's Big Give on ABC

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    Okay just got thru watching thee first installment of "Big Give".......

It's similar to CBS "The Big Race" where team members that are paired in 2's must perform the ultimate miracle for needy indivuduals (from what I got out of seeing episode #1)

Looks like A pretty good show being that its OPRAH and the company I am w/ is a sponsor and there is a scene featured where there is a shopping spree going on and did not see it in tonites show that I saw.

tsk tsk on the 2 ladies that got lost
    Oprah? Channel block this trash! You wanna talk about an effective, strong black woman, you need to talk about Ms. Rice in DC. Bravo!

Comment

Mr. San Cho Lee get plenty lychee, but he no give to me, and he jus' one mean ole Pake man!
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
        Mr. San Cho Lee get plenty lychee, but he no give to me, and he jus' one mean ole Pake man!
        An da poor Hawaiian get no moa.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I've found 'Big Give' interesting but uneven so far. I like the idea of encouraging charitable efforts, but sometimes it just seems like the participants give things away just for the sake of it, with little thought about making more lasting and permanent changes in the lives of people who need help.

Of course, I understand that subtle and gradual improvements in people's lives doesn't make for interesting television....

Comment

Originally posted by dancingpencil View Post
            I've found 'Big Give' interesting but uneven so far. I like the idea of encouraging charitable efforts, but sometimes it just seems like the participants give things away just for the sake of it, with little thought about making more lasting and permanent changes in the lives of people who need help.
            I've watched only one show and the contestants aren't given much time to plan and give. On Mondays, Oprah recaps the previous night's show. This past Sunday the contestants had 24 hours to plan and give away $100,000. each and that came with multiple stipulations as to amounts of money given to any one group or any one person. I thought about it afterwards and, dang, that'd be really difficult with no forewarning.
            Of course, I understand that subtle and gradual improvements in people's lives doesn't make for interesting television....
            So true but just the story of the recipients can make for good TV even if the improvements will take time.

Oprah showed a scene yesterday when one of the contestants went into a car repair shop and asked how many cars were being held for non-payment; rather how much the total was for those cars. Contestant, for some reason, paid $8k out of the $9.1k owed with the balance being divvied among the debtors. One man and his young son were either in the shop or came in while this transaction was happening. He was able to get his car out of hock for very little money. The little boy (around 7 or 8) showed completely sincere gratitude and when he and his dad walked out with keys in hand the little boy turned around and told the contestant..."I love you.". It was so sweet.

Comment

It's all for ratings. If Oprah were that generous, she'd have given that money away to charity without having to bolster her ratings for her TV show.

I just hate people who show off their wealth in the name of charity.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, Oprah gives so much to charity that goes undetected, by her choice. Sure, we see the Africa stuff, the New Orleans stuff and the Angel Network stuff. But she doesn't limit her giving to causes that will garner recognition. I see the concept behind this show as a way to showcase how to pay it forward. Granted, for ratings it involves a lot more money than the average Joe can give. Still, it will inspire others to get the idea and it won't stop Oprah from continuing to contribute without fanfare.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  This past Sunday the contestants had 24 hours to plan and give away $100,000. each and that came with multiple stipulations as to amounts of money given to any one group or any one person. I thought about it afterwards and, dang, that'd be really difficult with no forewarning.
                  So, not just a third to IHS and another third to the Food Bank and another third to AccesSurfHawaii?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  It's all for ratings. If Oprah were that generous, she'd have given that money away to charity without having to bolster her ratings for her TV show.
                  I just hate people who show off their wealth in the name of charity.
                  Nearly a century ago Rockefeller knew that he'd raise more funds by challenges and matches than by simply giving his away.

I bet that Oprah's show is responsible for inciting a jump in individual donations to charities, donor-advised funds, and other organizations. She has enough exposure to dictate style, and she can make charitable donations "cool"... even during economic contractions.
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Y'all watch too much TV.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                      So, not just a third to IHS and another third to the Food Bank and another third to AccesSurfHawaii?
                      Nope! Plus doing that probably would not have been creative enough to avoid elimination based only on the one show I watched!
                      [...]I bet that Oprah's show is responsible for inciting a jump in individual donations to charities, donor-advised funds, and other organizations. She has enough exposure to dictate style, and she can make charitable donations "cool"... even during economic contractions.
                      This makes total sense to me.
                      Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                      Y'all watch too much TV.
                      Exactly what do you base that statement on?

Comment

Working...
                      X