Thread: Star-Bulletin problems

Default Star-Bulletin problems

Huh. All my Star-Bulletin URLs are now sending me to a GoDaddy.com page. Is it just me? Or did somebody forget to pay their ISP?

Default Re: Star-Bulletin problems

Looks okay now.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Looks like they let their domain expire. Just renewed through March 4, 2010. Whew! You'd think they'd register a decade out, at least. (He said, nervously checking his domain portfolio...)

I was bummed that the freebie Star-Bulletins didn't make it to Hawaii Kai 24HF this morning; it's part of my routine. I'm waiting to get a call to subscribe; despite getting a freebie at 24HF, I'd like to support it as a subscriber, retaining the 2-newspaper town POV.

They forgot to renew their domain registration.

Site was originally registered March 3, 1996.

Domain registration expired March 4, 2008.

It was online very early this morning, but by about 5:15 a.m., viewers were getting the Godaddy.com "parked" page. The domain registration had expired.

All email to starbulletin.com users was bouncing.

I did a quick whois on starbulletin.com and found it had expired.

I made some phone calls. (Misdialed one number and woke up some poor, confused guy. Sorry, brah.) Left some messages. Sent emails to personal accounts of responsible parties.

Got a reply later this morning that the site was back, thanks.

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: STARBULLETIN.COM
    Created on: 03-Mar-96
    Expires on: 04-Mar-08
    Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration STARBULLETIN.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration STARBULLETIN.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS11.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS12.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

GO DADDY was around back in 1996? I've had some things parked with them for quite awhile.

Aj

Well, OBVIOUSLY, the Star-Bulletin should be headlining with "BLAINE ROCKS." Way to go, Blaine. That's what ethics is all about. He had the power to do the right thing and he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by zztype View Post
    I made some phone calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    He had the power to do the right thing and he did it.
    Must be in his blood. Nice on you, Blaine. Not sure I would act so generously towards my former employers (but then, you chose to move on, right? That wasn't an option for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    GO DADDY was around back in 1996? I've had some things parked with them for quite awhile.
    Yeah, I thought they weren't in existence until '97?

The site was originally registered with Network Solutions in 1996. They moved registration to Godaddy.com some time around 2005, I think.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

I registered honoluluadvertiser.com in my own name back in the late '90s and it took them more than a year to notice....
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    I registered honoluluadvertiser.com in my own name back in the late '90s and it took them more than a year to notice....
    I was wondering if anyone had done anything like that!

Yeah, I had thought Go DADDY has only been around maybe 5 years.

People at one time bought celebrity name's hoping to cash in on it all when the celebrity wanted to open up a website or control the content of the website.

Aj

Red face Re: Star-Bulletin problems

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    Cute. Suspect it didn't take much to get it back, though. Meanwhile I've been sitting on HawaiiNews.com forever. If your major news domain name disappears, it can be yours for only, oh, say $30,000!

I sold it to them for $100 — after making sure they had already spent thousands hiring lawyers to assault me in court. If they had just asked, it would have been free, but no, the suits don't think that way.
    Burl Burlingame
    honoluluagonizer.com

Back in the earlier days of the internet I think it might have been hard for companies or people to go after you for owning domain names. I bet times have changed and you now are forced to sell or give it away.

Remember the World Wildlife Fund lawsuit against the World Wrestling Federation which resulted in the name change to World Wrestling Entertainment for example?

Aj

I got a notice with my Sunday SB this morning that effective tomorrow/Monday, June 2, I would be receiving the morning edition delivery of the SB.

In truth, this does not impact me because I only subscribe to Sat/Sun, but is this a switch island-wide? Or for my carrier/district only? Or does it signal a change in the morning/late edition printing schedule? Will there still be an afternoon edition? (which under the current schedule arrives at my workplace about 2:00-ish).

Homes generally prefer morning delivery, and the SB has been doing morning delivery in outlying districts for years. This switch is on the Windward side, I think. Yes, afternoon editions will continue as usual.
    Burl Burlingame
    honoluluagonizer.com

I didn't get that notice with my paper this morning, so I guess those of us in Hawaii Kai will continue to receive the afternoon edition. And I'm glad for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
    I got a notice with my Sunday SB this morning that effective tomorrow/Monday, June 2, I would be receiving the morning edition delivery of the SB.
    Well, that's probably the smartest thing they've done since the Canadians bought the operation!

I think it might be another marketing/subscription increase campaign because I'm not a subscriber and it's being delivered to my house every morning now.

approximately 6 months ago i switched from the advertiser to the bulletin so that i could get an afternoon delivery and because the subscription is cheaper. then they went and changed it to the morning delivery (kailua) which you are supposed to get by 530am. really strange, i never had delivery problems with the advertiser but have had to call EVERY single month (sometimes it was several times/week; morning or afternoon delivery it didn't matter) to find out when i could expect to receive the paper. that's no joke. they keep a history. well, today i made THE call again and was told there was some type of technical problem? huh? anywho, i told the person that i wanted to close the account and she said that i was paid up until august 10. "would i like to keep receiving the paper until then." "no," i replied. i'm now back to subscribing to the advertiser.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

i knew this was going to happen. my last paper was supposed to be yesterday. yep. received a star bulletin today at app. 10am.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Cool Re: Star-Bulletin problems

Quote Originally Posted by zztype View Post
    The site was originally registered with Network Solutions in 1996. They moved registration to Godaddy.com some time around 2005, I think.
    EH HBJ ~ I pass Godaddy.com on da way to work, in case you need me go ova deya.
    ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Lightbulb Re: Star-Bulletin problems

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Back in the earlier days of the internet I think it might have been hard for companies or people to go after you for owning domain names. I bet times have changed and you now are forced to sell or give it away.
    This is the reason so many computer geeks who had never really thought about politics up to this point, threw their support to Texas congressman Ron Paul during the U.S. Presidential Race. Paul is pretty much the only candidate, Republican or Democrat, who specifically promised to repeal governmental interference on the Internet.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993