Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CNN polls

From moments ago:

Do you think Twitter messages are trivial?

Yes... 91%... 131,133

No... 9%... 12,514

Total votes: 143,647

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      From moments ago:
      Yes... 91%... 131,133
      No... 9%... 12,514
      Total votes: 143,647
      Yeah - I saw a Tweet about that...

Comment

From moments ago:

Yes... 91%... 131,133

No... 9%... 12,514
        How fleeting memories can be. Betcha the results would have been quite different had the same question been asked during the civil disorder in Iran.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Moments ago:

Should physician-assisted suicide be legal for people who are terminally ill?

Yes... 83%... 257,950

No... 17%... 52,056

Total votes: 310,006

Comment

I was surprised -- and very disappointed -- to see this one today:

Would you donate time or money to help fight the Gulf oil disaster?

Yes...51%...107,577

No...49%...101,486

Total votes: 209,063

I was expecting darned near 100% to vote yes.
            What kind of person would vote no?!?

Comment

At this stage of the game, I'd be inclined to say no simply because what we have experienced so far is merely the beginning of what will become MUCH worse and very possibly be infinitely worse beyond our most dreaded nightmares. Not that 'helping' isn't a noble and worthy endeavor, but what can really be done right now? It's known that the majority of life that becomes contaminated with crude will die soon no matter how well they get cleaned up. They've ingested the toxins and are doomed. Even if they live long enuf to breed, they can't reproduce. Trying to mop up the mess is a waste of time when more is on the way. We know that sending $ will most likely be fruitless. Business' are dead walkers. What else can be done by your average Joe Citizen to make any diff' right now?
              BP's own and long-undisclosed pre-disaster worst-case estimations of oil expulsion should a deep well completely go was 100,000 gallons every day, and that's been happening for most of the month long crisis with no end in site. We havn't seen nothing yet.
              It's hurricane season and when one hits it'll not only knock off the semi-cap in place on this well but will churn up the majority of the expelled crude that resides hidden below the surface and will shove plenty onshore/inland. We could also see more fissures erupting/expanding, they've been there spewing all along..., and there's the possibility that capping the flow will not only make it bust out big time from the core walls but collapse at least the immediate area so it is impossible to ever manage at all. And this is just one deep drill of 40,000(?!?) out there, most of which are operated by the same 'who cares' bunch responsible for this disaster and waiting to further contribute to our planet's lifeforms demise.
              There's also the thot of an enormous methane belch off Florida, like happened recently in the Black Sea, killing nearly 3,000 in a very remote area, and that horror could wipe out a potential million or more in those coastal US areas, not to mention should the methane cloud be hit by lightning thus igniting it like a humongous fire bomb and incinerate even more.
              Plus there's the potential wiping out of our oceans food sources, the potential exacerbation of (that big lie...) man-made warming of the seas/climate which will raise ocean levels to the Gore predicted and lambasted 3' level and beyond, while only one foot rise will wipe out a huge percentage of food growth around the world, sending multi-millions into global rioting and soon die off.
              And these are just the few things I can think of off the top-o-my-head, there's way more fun to be had...

Drill baby drill!

Have you noticed how the hard right/oil supporting HT contributors are now MIA/whistling past the graveyard on this thread since the problem started? Maybe they're down in the gulf being heros and fixing the problem which 'that danged Obama can't do'...
              ...you betcha!
              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; June 21, 2010, 09:39 AM.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Yes...51%...107,577

No...49%...101,486

Why the surprise? Why would anyone wish to contribute and thereby offset the liability of BP and their insurance companies?
                Last edited by salmoned; June 21, 2010, 11:11 AM.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

BTW - Ron, I do believe you should refrain from thinking 'off the top-o-my-head', those statements are really and truly fantastical.
                  It's like watching the movie '2012' all over again (and I wouldn't wish that punishment on anyone).

Comment

Yes...51%...107,577

No...49%...101,486

Too many people will hinder efforts. Those resources that are best equipped to combat this would have to fight their way through the endless crowds of amateurs and useless spectators. If you have no need to be there, then don't.

Right now, the effect of "too many cooks" and "too many chiefs" and "who can we blame" is more important than "plugging the damn hole."

Ironically, Americans would rather spend their money on third-world relief efforts than to help their own country.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      BTW - Ron, I do believe you should refrain from thinking 'off the top-o-my-head', those statements are really and truly fantastical.
                      Many people over the years have been killed for saying truths much less 'fantastical' and I don't think you can show a single one to be less of a possibility. I'll stand by them and hand you your hat to chow down on should any one of them occur. Bring your own condiments unless you prefer plain chapeau. BTW, an open mind is not a dangerous thing.
                      A month ago I was called 'delusional' on another forum by a righty kook from Texas for simply stating the majority of oil at that point was laying beneath the surface and creating 'dead zones', furthered by the toxic dispersants, which we know it certainly has.

The fragile sea floor has been cracked and this major compromise can lead to devastating and irreversible consequences

It's quite possible to exacerbate climate change towards an ice age due to the surface sheen of oil reflecting sunlight away from us.
                      An estimated 2 billion gallons of oil could end up pouring into the Gulf over the next few years if the leak can't be stopped. That much oil is beyond what it would take to destroy the majority of plankton, the base of the ocean's food chain, and completely wipe out near-shore ecosystems. Currents can spread the leak to other areas, such as the Atlantic Ocean and around the world. There the heat absorbing oil/water mix would likely interfere with thermohaline circulation, the vital cycle that carries oxygenated water to the deep ocean. The increased temperatures would speed the melting of Greenland's ice sheet as well.
                      One of the scariest prospects of the spill will be the massive quantity of poisonous hydrogen sulfide gas that will be produced as the oil breaks down. Then there's the burning of the surface oil in the Gulf is contributing to higher carbon dioxide emissions which very well could exacerbate global warming and hasten the melting of arctic ice and as I've said, a sea level rise of just three feet would be enough to destroy up to 20% of human agriculture, as well as costing billions to retrofit shipping docks and other nationwide infrastructure due to the new sea level and will lead to conflict between nations as populations increase and usable land is lost to the rising oceans.

Comment

Okay, I get it - you're just joking, ha ha, chicken little and all that jazz.

An open mind certainly IS a dangerous thing, it can easily be infected by any sort of thing.

You're not 'saying truths', you're speculating on the unknown without an iota of fact based reasoning. If it is your intention to delineate a random selection of far-fetched possibilities, with no likely connection to probable outcomes, you're doing a fine job here. Just remember, it is more likely that you will die by a meteor striking the earth than it is for you to die by being struck by lightening - this is just as pertinent and worrisome as your speculations.
                        Last edited by salmoned; June 23, 2010, 04:12 PM.

Comment

You should know by now I don't care what you say, so say awayyyyyyyyyyy..............

Comment

Moments ago:

What came first?

Chicken... 61%... 73,910

Egg... 39%... 47,235

Total votes: 121,145

Comment

In depth analysis:

It's well known that eggs evolved aeons before chickens. However, the first chicken egg was laid by a chicken - that's what makes it a chicken egg. The egg that the first chicken hatched from was not a chicken egg, as a chicken egg is defined as having been laid by a chicken, not as hatching a chicken (else those eggs I had for breakfast weren't chicken eggs, 'cause nothing hatched from 'em other than this bit of tongue-in-cheek).
                              Last edited by salmoned; July 18, 2010, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Moments ago:

Should the 14th Amendment be changed so that illegal immigrants' children don't automatically become U.S. citizens?

Yes... 65%... 208,158

No... 35%... 112,040

Total votes: 320,198

Comment

Working...
                                X