You Like Hummus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Like Hummus?

Share with me your favorite recipe. Been eating a lot of the stuff lately because it's about the only thing that won't aggravate a dying gall bladder.

Just picked up some tahini from Down to Earth, last night. Now I can make "real" hummus. Oh yeah, where to get good flat bread. Not pita bread. Flat bread.

I usually get my flat bread from Pearl City Don Quijote, but they don't have it half the time. Just wondering where else to get it.
    Last edited by Da Rolling Eye; March 8, 2008, 05:48 AM.

Re: You Like Hummus?

Rolling Eye

Such great timing! I'm in NYC this weekend and just last night ate at a new joint called Hummus Place. They serve several different kinds of hummus, each containing a different topping. There's one with stewed mushroom, another with fava bean stew and a version with tahini in the center. The one I ordered, at the risk overkill, had chickpeas, pine nuts, olive oil and spices in the center.

Aside from the topping, I believe the hummus is all the same. But that can give you ideas for toppings you can use to spice up your hummus recipes.

When I get back home, I'll look for the hummus recipe I use and post it.

If you are allowed to eat hummus, can you also eat falafels? Man, I love me some falafels! (Which I also had at Hummus Place!)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
      Rolling Eye

Such great timing! I'm in NYC this weekend and just last night ate at a new joint called Hummus Place. They serve several different kinds of hummus, each containing a different topping. There's one with stewed mushroom, another with fava bean stew and a version with tahini in the center. The one I ordered, at the risk overkill, had chickpeas, pine nuts, olive oil and spices in the center.

Aside from the topping, I believe the hummus is all the same. But that can give you ideas for toppings you can use to spice up your hummus recipes.

When I get back home, I'll look for the hummus recipe I use and post it.

If you are allowed to eat hummus, can you also eat falafels? Man, I love me some falafels! (Which I also had at Hummus Place!)
      Sounds like a place we'd give a try.

Only reason I can eat hummus all day is that there's not much by way of added fat except for a small amount of olive oil and tahini and also a wee bit of lemon juice. Now if I ate the same amount, say, in McD's double quarter pounder, I'd want to do myself in for the pain.

Btw, I eat hummus because I choose to. Not on doc's orders. Basically anything that won't set off a GB attack. Hummus doesn't, it tastes good and is a fairly healthy food.

Just went to see the doc yesterday. He's either Pakistani or Afghani, but he loves his hummus as well and grilled me about why I'm eating it. I answered his questions to his satisfaction and we talked a bit about "authentic" hummus.

Just saw some falafel mix at DTE, yesterday. Can't remember how it's prepared, but if it's fried it's not on my "to eat with no pain" list.

Oh, we just checked the back of the package for that flat bread we been eating. 270 calories per piece!!! Dang that's a lot of fat they use in those things. No wonder they're so soft. Won't be buying those again. Guess it's going to be whole grain pita bread.

Will be looking for your recipe.

Comment

da rolling eye: heard that some people who can't eat eggs substitute hummus for the yolk when making deviled eggs. sounds yummy to me. i've got to try it. i don't eat the eggs because of the cholesterol. i, too, try to keep the fat intake as low as possible. but, i do use olive oil and mac nut oil on occasions. one day, i did try to eat a piece of karaage chicken and got sooooooo sick. man, i used to love fried chicken. even though i'm not supposed to, i eat the vegetable tempura from kunio restaurant at waikele. it's never greasy. haven't eaten at kfc, mickeyd's, jack's or any fast food restaurants for almost 3 years. i wouldn't mind a filet-o-fish and some french fries, but would pay dearly in the end. omg! and, an ultimate cheeseburger from jack's sounds good, too! but, alas! no can do!
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Hummus? Love it.

Okay, this is what I do. Drain a can of garbanzos. Don't bother with the soaking method for dry beans; the guy on Ham on the Street has convinced me that the only advantage to dry beans is price, and when canned garbanzos are on sale, they're practically free. Throw the beans in a food processor. Add the juice of one lemon, a few tablespoons of tahini, and one spoonful of peanut butter. Yeah, I know the peanut butter's not traditional, but it's gooooooood.

Process. Drizzle olive oil while processing until you get the consistency you like. Then squeeze several cloves of roasted garlic into it and process again. Add salt to taste.

It's a forgiving recipe, as you can probably tell. I also add roasted red peppers sometimes for a change of pace. Love it on a bagel or with Ak-Mak crackers.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There you go, Scriv. Before I found the tahini I was using a tsp of sesame seed oil. Ono, but gives it a distinct....mmmm....Korean taste to it. Hoping the tahini will "mellow" it out. Bagels, eh. Gonna have to give that a try. Probably better than that high fat flat bread we been eating....and loving.

Kani! Wot.....get bad gall bladdah too? Last attack I had was after eating sushi, but I ate 3 plates of the tuna salad rolls (lots of mayo/fat), constantly picked at the pickled ginger (spicy), dipped everything in wasabi (more spicy) and ate 2 plates of chicken karaage (plenny oil). So, h'cum I had pain, l'dat.

I can eat a McD's double quarter pounder/no cheese, an order of fries or their fish sandwich and fries and have no problems. Then I'll go to Kua Aina, Haleiwa a few days later and have a 1/3 lb. ground steak burger with all the veggies and their fries and...Wham!!! Out of commission for the rest of the night. (scratching head and butt at the same time)

KFC, fuggetaboudiiiit. Right in, right out. Way too much grease and way too much salt. My fingers look like sausages after eating one of their dinner boxes. Go figure. I can eat McD's 3 pc. chicken strips with honey mustard and fries. No problemo.

Well, for me, the doc ordered a last test to make sure it's my GB. If it comes out positive, the GB comes out. YES!.....but this doesn't mean I'll be going back to my evil ways of eating again. I'm actually enjoying trying to eat as healthy as possible, finding new foods and experimenting with new recipes....like this hummus. If it wasn't for the GB, I would not have gotten into it.

I'm even mixing my own and eating yogurt. Little plain, fat free yogurt, Splenda, vanilla extract and some diced fresh fruit or berries. Yum! Wife's coworker thought it was store bought. Hah!

It's looking like I'm taking my own thread off on a tangent. Sorry.

Comment

gee, i don't know about the peanut butter kine hummus, but it does sound interesting and scriv's basic recipe is right on the mark. try even adding black olives to the recipe. very onolicious.

no, i don't have a gb problem. mine is high blood pressure, high cholesterol and acid reflux. so, i have to watch salt and fats in my diet. the cholesterol is pretty easy to manage by using no trans fat oils, soy milk, fat free cheeses or plant based ones and eating the leanest meats possible. no eggs or shellfish and no deep fried stuff. well, except for the delicious veggie tempura at kunio at waikele. i never get sick on that and they make the best grilled salmon.

haven't eaten at any of the fast food places for almost 3 years. once in awhile, you can smell the fries being cooked at the kailua mickeyd's and it smells gooooood! but that's the closest i get to them.

the good thing about the "diet" is that i lost 10 lbs and am down to 117lbs. good for the heart and the rest of my body thanks me, too. so does my doctor. also, i've rediscovered cooking. yep, used to own an okazuya/ local plate lunch restaurant (won't mention the name, though). it did well, but the lease rent is what put us out of business. a good experience, but i'll never do that again.

good luck with the testing.
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

Okazu-ya?? Awcaman! Do tell which one.

So what kine meds or suppliments are you using for the HBP, cholesterol and reflux, other than dieting? Just curious.

Comment

The last time I had Hummus was the store-bought variety from Costco. That huge tub they sell for just about $5.00. Used those Pita chips for dippin'.

I'm pretty sure it was this Sabra roasted garlic-flavored Hummus.

It is a bit heavy (oily) and intense, and I found I could tolerate only so much before getting "Hummus overload".

I could probably eat a lot more Salsa than I could Hummus.
                  Last edited by Pomai; March 9, 2008, 12:53 PM. Reason: Added link
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    The last time I had Hummus was the store-bought variety from Costco. That huge tub they sell for just about $5.00. Used those Pita chips for dippin'.

I'm pretty sure it was this Sabra roasted garlic-flavored Hummus.

It is a bit heavy (oily) and intense, and I found I could tolerate only so much before getting "Hummus overload".

I could probably eat a lot more Salsa than I could Hummus.
                    Lots of the store bought varieties tend to be that way. Too oily, salty and strong in flavor of some type or another. Best bet is homemade and tailor it to your own taste. The Costco brand is what got me into making my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                      Okazu-ya?? Awcaman! Do tell which one.

So what kine meds or suppliments are you using for the HBP, cholesterol and reflux, other than dieting? Just curious.

it's a secret. but, we made da bessess kine sushi maki and inari (cone), fried noodles, chow fun, fried rice, mac/potato salad, beef curry, spare ribs, hamburga steak, etc.........oh, and i foagat, da shrimp tempura. yeah, actually had da whole shrimp inside. neva limp. always crispy.

meds for hb: cozaar, watch da salt, too. dat's hahd because i love foa cook japanese food. juss wen make kabocha wit of course one secret kine recipe. someone suggested using amino acids in the bottle instead of shoyu.

for cholesterol: lopid, watch da fat intake, no shellfish. little or no dairy.

acid reflux: went generic and use ranitidine, elevate head while sleeping, trying to use carroway seeds (make a tea). saw that on tv. i think i need to make it stronger because i ended up taking da pills again.

my one downfall is mayo. i use da light kine stuff. but, nothing beats good ol best foods. da REAL ting!

i also take a daily vitamin, phytosterols (for cholesterol) and glucosamine w/msn for a bad hip (i swear by this for those who have joint problems).

now, whea did all dis pidgin come from?!
                      Last edited by kani-lehua; March 9, 2008, 01:51 PM.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      order shall return."

Comment

Kani-Lehua, you might be interested in checking out the "Favorite Okazuya" thread we had going a while ago.

Whoah, now I stay in da mood fo' some Chow Funn and vegetable tempura from St. Louis Delicatessen!

As for the Hummus, if I buy that tub again from Costco (since it's so cheap), I'll try experiment making Pita bread sandwiches, using the Hummus as a spread, along with Alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers and maybe some cold cuts, sliced salmon or somethin'.

Or how about Hummus Pizza? Or Hummus Tacos? Sounds pretty good, actually.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                          [...] someone suggested using amino acids in the bottle instead of shoyu.
                          Bragg's. Love it!
                          [...]acid reflux: went generic and use ranitidine, elevate head while sleeping, trying to use carroway seeds (make a tea). saw that on tv. i think i need to make it stronger because i ended up taking da pills again.
                          My naturopath doc told me to take 1 tbsp of slippery elm powder each day. It's the only thing that's worked for me, even when prescribed meds didn't. I sprinkle the powder on my morning cereal. YMMV...

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                            Just saw some falafel mix at DTE, yesterday. Can't remember how it's prepared, but if it's fried it's not on my "to eat with no pain" list.
                            You can bake falafel!! Just like cookies! It's really good with hummus. My friend Emily from Israel brought 3 dozen baked mini falafel patties to my Aloha Luau party, and by the time I went back for seconds, they were all eaten. She served them with yogurt sauce, but I would have liked hummus.

The store bought hummus is cr@p. Convenient for a picnic, but not nearly as good as homemade.

I ALWAYS add a spoonful of cumin seeds. And you can also add a small piece of onion to the blender or food processor, for extra flavor. And of course, garlic.

Wow, I really want to make some hummus now!! Too bad everything from the kitchen is already packed and on its way to Hawaii. My trash can is full of nothing but food delivery boxes!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              Kani-Lehua, you might be interested in checking out the "Favorite Okazuya" thread we had going a while ago.

Whoah, now I stay in da mood fo' some Chow Funn and vegetable tempura from St. Louis Delicatessen!

As for the Hummus, if I buy that tub again from Costco (since it's so cheap), I'll try experiment making Pita bread sandwiches, using the Hummus as a spread, along with Alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers and maybe some cold cuts, sliced salmon or somethin'.

Or how about Hummus Pizza? Or Hummus Tacos? Sounds pretty good, actually.
                              heh, maybe mine was mentioned. still say my stuffs wuz da bestest. lol.

man, does that sandwich sound onolicious!!!! been having avocado, clover sprouts, onion (even though it gives me gas) and tomato sandwiches. yum!

maybe falafel tacos instead of the hummus? that sounds good, too.

if you are vegetarian, i'll start a new thread with a recipe i concocted for chow fun. tastes almost exactly like down to earth's. i would have used theirs but it wasn't on their website.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                              X