Unauthorized web site listing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unauthorized web site listing

I'm trying to get an online business directory company to remove an unauthorized listing of my company. They tried to solicit my business after they posted my company's info on their web site. Grrr... Not only is it unauthorized, it also shows my company name with my competitor's address! Good thing my competitor and I are friends! I've tried emailing the the company to no avail. Are there any government agencies I can notify by Cc'ing my communications to the business directory company?

Re: Unauthorized web site listing

Well you could try spamming the hell outta that website and cause it's servers to shut down...hmmm....just a thought
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Sue, I don't think they've done anything illegal. There's nothing that says you can't disseminate incorrect info. Or even correct info, if it's a matter of public record, such as places of business.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have the same problem here in UT - different directories listing my business with all kinds of information that isn't true. I've tried everything to get removed or at least get it changed to reflect the correct information - to no avail. If you find a way - let me know! I'll do the same.
        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I dug a little deeper and found a phone #. One of the voice mail prompts was for those who wanted their listings removed. Hmmm...imagine that...a special prompt just for that very subject!!! I followed the instructions (I thought!) and eventually ended up with an email response giving me precise directions on how to be removed from their data base and web site.

Precise directions, included emailing them THEIR url of my listing? Huh? I'd already sent them a pdf of that page! And, why couldn't they follow their own directions? I was feeling kolohe enough to get snarky with them about their stupidity in that regard. I'm still in "activist" mode! Make that "pit bull bitch" mode!

Comment

Being as someone who did a little work in doing web pages. If someone sent me a note saying that information is wrong on a web site I was doing, it would be very helpful if the URL of the web page that had the wrong information was included.

It kind of makes sure that, without a doubt the apporiate page does get fixed, especially if the site has 100's or 1000's or more of files containing web pages.

Comment

I hear ya, Helen. However, I sent them a pdf of the web page which had the url at the bottom and showed what the page looked like. They were lazy and wanted to click on a link rather than type it in. Still, if they followed their own directions (type the business name in the search box) it would've saved them a couple of emails...me, too! As I said...I'm in snarky activist mode; the result of ongoing condo problems at Makaha! My idiot threshold is very low right now!

Comment

Mission accomplished! I'll check it again in a month or so to see if they only temporarily removed the listing!

Comment

In 2004, the Republican Web page to reelect Bush had, as their primary Hawaii contact, MY email address! Not only that, it was a FORMER email address of mine that was dead! No matter how many times they were informed of the error, it was never fixed. Didn't speak well for their competance.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                  X