Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Loco Moco!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    976

    Default Loco Moco!

    Just ate my first loco moco last night--L & L at the airport. Was soo good!! I got a mini, and it was just enough. Gravy was good, even liked the macaroni salad with it! I think I found a new comfort food. YUM!
    Where is your favorite loco moco? (so I know where to go next....)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    I absolutely love Like Like Drive Inn's loco moco. Probably has a lot to do with their hamburger steak, which IMHSO (in my hungry stomach's opinion) is the best around.

    Also, if you are in Hilo, you must stop in at Cafe 100. They claim to be the originators of loco moco. Are they? Who cares! All that matters is that they have good loco moco, and quite a wide variety of loco moco too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    L&L's is one of the plainest loco mocos out there. It's good that you got the mini, because it's actually not bad in that quantity. Get a regular and you'll be sick of it before you're through.

    Diners in Kalihi actually has a nice loco moco, believe it or not. Nico's at Pier 38, also good. Get one at Liliha Bakery! Order the hamburger steak and tell them to put two eggs on it. Yum.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    I've not had Loco Moco yet, although I've been wanting to try it. The only thing holding me back is the egg. I'm not a big fan of eggs, they have a tendency to make me queasy..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    whever i wan
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    I was in Hilo yesterday and ate lunch at Ken's. They have a sumo loco moco on the menu that sounds huge. I brought a menu back with me.

    6 scoops rice, choice of spam (9), 5 oz beef patty (2), or mahi mahi, gravy , 3 eggs any style.

    sounds big.
    n'importe

  6. #6

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    the Sumo: the loco moco pūpū platter.

    If you order one, they ring the bell and all staff, along with those patrons so inclined, will holler out SUMO!

    Loco Moco is two scoops of white rice smashed into a blob, a hamburger patty over that, a fried egg on top, and brown gravy poured all over. If other meats are substituted, it becomes "animal name-Moco" (chicken loco, salmon loco, spam loco, etc)

    a double loco is two patties + two eggs.

    a fried loco is with the eggs fried for those who hate runny yolks

    a dry loco has no gravy

    if one holds the egg, it is called a "hamburgergravyrice"

    When fundraising for my kids' sports teams, I'm always the Fry Lede at the concession booth.

    pax

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,152

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Mahalo Drive Inn on Young Street (which used to be a former L&L Drive Inn) also has Loco Moco but their Wednesday special I believe combines the Loco Moco with BBQ Chicken.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
    I've not had Loco Moco yet, although I've been wanting to try it. The only thing holding me back is the egg. I'm not a big fan of eggs, they have a tendency to make me queasy..
    Then order without the egg.

    If you're allergic to egg, then you better ask if they use egg as binder for the hamburger patty (which IMSHO, shouldn't be plain ground beef).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Check out this hamburger steak (just add egg for Loco Moco) and teri beef mixed plate my friend ordered today...



    Gravy's lookin' good!

    Guess where from? Concessions Surf and Snacks at Ala Moana Beach Park! Yes. the concession stand on the Ewa side of the beach park. This Hamburger Steak plate got huge praise for its most excellent, deep, hearty and rich brown gravy and a tasty char-grilled, house-made burger patty. This is coming from a "Hamburger Steak plate enthusiast".

    So if that's any indication, their Loco Moco (also $6.50) must also be equally excellent. Beach view no extra charge.


    Concessions Surf and Snacks at Ala Moana Beach Park

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Is there a Loco Moco specialty restaurant that offers a menu of Loco Moco bowl/plate options (e.g., chili loco moco, curry loco moco, etc.)?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Eldest spawn and I split a loco moco at Big City Diner. Even then, we don't finish it. What a decadent artery clogger it is! Yum...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Is there a Loco Moco specialty restaurant that offers a menu of Loco Moco bowl/plate options (e.g., chili loco moco, curry loco moco, etc.)?
    That's Cafe 100 in Hilo. A whole menu board of loco choices. Yes, I give Cafe 100 props for being the supposed inventor of the loco moco, but it's not especially good. The variety is nice, and I had more than a few meals there when I lived in Hilo, but there are much better locos to be had at Ken's, Nori's (I think), and Blane's. Also, the last few times I went, they didn't offer Tabasco as a condiment; they only had chili pepper water, and that's just not going to do the job.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  13. #13

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Check out this hamburger steak (just add egg for Loco Moco) and teri beef mixed plate my friend ordered today...



    Gravy's lookin' good!

    Guess where from? Concessions Surf and Snacks at Ala Moana Beach Park! Yes. the concession stand on the Ewa side of the beach park. This Hamburger Steak plate got huge praise for its most excellent, deep, hearty and rich brown gravy and a tasty char-grilled, house-made burger patty. This is coming from a "Hamburger Steak plate enthusiast".
    My former co-worker is the guy that owns these concession stands. We used to order lunch for almost all employees every Sunday (it was a retail store) and the food is pretty good.

    If they still have it on the menu, I'd recommend the spicy chicken :P
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

    Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

  14. #14

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaukura View Post
    I was in Hilo yesterday and ate lunch at Ken's. They have a sumo loco moco on the menu that sounds huge. I brought a menu back with me.

    6 scoops rice, choice of spam (9), 5 oz beef patty (2), or mahi mahi, gravy , 3 eggs any style.

    sounds big.
    Whoa! That's my kind of loco moco!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    That's Cafe 100 in Hilo. A whole menu board of loco choices. Yes, I give Cafe 100 props for being the supposed inventor of the loco moco, but it's not especially good. The variety is nice, and I had more than a few meals there when I lived in Hilo, but there are much better locos to be had at Ken's, Nori's (I think), and Blane's. Also, the last few times I went, they didn't offer Tabasco as a condiment; they only had chili pepper water, and that's just not going to do the job.

    I agree, Cafe 100 makes what I believe is the lousiest locomoco despite their incredable menu selection. Today's special is the Salmon Loco (Bleh!!!) If they'd only get away from using those frozen patties and went with fresh hand made patties, I'd think Cafe 100 could be the king of loco. But the cut corners with the frozen variety and the powdered mix gravy. Heck even Zippy's makes a better loco moco!

    Nori's does make a loco but I've tasted way better in Honolulu. Ya can't beat home made, just the way you like it.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Has anybody tried the loco moco at Sam Choy's BL&C? (I've been meaning to try it for years, but rarely get over to that side.)
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Geez, my gall bladder just had a twitch thinking about all that fat in a typical loco moco, BUT, after seeing Pomai's pic I'm going to make a point to take the family to AMBP after I get the damned thing pulled out.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Diners in Kalihi actually has a nice loco moco, believe it or not.
    Did they change their recipe? I wasn't too impressed with it when I tried it several months ago. The meat was very dense, like a factory pressed beef patty. Maybe it's better now, I'll give them another chance, especially since there aren't too many places to get a loco moco after midnight

  19. #19

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    "Scrivner" and "Craig" are correct about Cafe 100's loco moco: no better than average, and that's s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g it! I eat theirs out of nostalgia, habit, and the fact that I know the owners. They'd be miles ahead with freshly-made patties instead of the frozen ones.

    I've had the loco moco from Karen's Kitchen on Cooke Street: huge patty and it included sauteed onions. Mushrooms were in it once upon a time - DELICIOUS!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    Geez, my gall bladder just had a twitch thinking about all that fat in a typical loco moco
    Here's to more twitching....


    Loco Moco from Surf and Snacks Diamond Head concession stand @ Ala Moana Beach Park, $6.50

    As good (or bad) as that may look, it wasn't nearly as good as the hamburger steak plate from Concessions Surf and Snacks on the Ewa end of AMBP. The gravy lacked depth, the the burger patty was just, eh, OK (and not nearly 10 oz. like it says on the menu), rice was soggy, and mac salad just, eh, OK. The sunnyside-up eggs were perfect. Gotta' say that.

    Overall, it didn't warrant the impending Angioplasty required later.

    Here's the place...



    This particular Loco Moco may have not been the greatest, but at least it came with a view!...


  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I agree, Cafe 100 makes what I believe is the lousiest locomoco despite their incredable menu selection. Today's special is the Salmon Loco (Bleh!!!) If they'd only get away from using those frozen patties and went with fresh hand made patties, I'd think Cafe 100 could be the king of loco. But the cut corners with the frozen variety and the powdered mix gravy. Heck even Zippy's makes a better loco moco!
    Gotta' admit, Zippy's gravy kicks okole. Awesome. But they also use the frozen patties (probably May's) like you said Cafe 100 does. Also, it's a rip off at $8.00 for a Loco Moco at the take-out counter. That's ridiculous.

    Speaking of Cafe 100 on the Big Island, the Food Network aired a new episode today of "Have Fork, Will Travel" with that absolutely obnoxious, irritating "comedian" host. He visited Cafe 100 and sat down with the owner while chowing down on their signature Loco Moco dish, plus another "deluxe" version that included SPAM, sausage and Mac salad.

    According to what the (second generation) owner told him, the term "Loco Moco" came about from the inventor, who's nickname was "Crazy", hence, "Loco" in Mexican. Hence the name "Loco Moco", with "Moco" not having any other tie by just sounding catchy.

    That's weird. I would of thought "Loco Moco" descended from something more like "Local Moke".

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    If you're in Tokyo you can get great loco moco at a Hawaiian restaurant called Zago.It's on route 16 near Fussa,the U.S. airforce base.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Sam Choy's spot on the Big Island used to have pretty good Loco moco, but last I went there they closed down.
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

    Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

  24. #24

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Then order without the egg.
    If you don't want the egg, then why bother ordering a loco-moco? Like ordering a cheeseburger deluxe with no cheese. Just get a hamburger steak plate w/ gravy.

    One interesting variation is Zippy's Chili-Moco, whenever it is on their menu. Basically, it's their chili-n-rice with an egg and patty. If you're a fan of Zippy's chili, it's something you've got to try.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 23rd, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Loco Moco!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aoimizu View Post
    If you're in Tokyo you can get great loco moco at a Hawaiian restaurant called Zago.It's on route 16 near Fussa,the U.S. airforce base.
    I used to travel to/from Yokota AFB and Tokyo. Fussa is quite a ways outside of Tokyo, at least an hour by train? Interesting that a Hawaiian restaurant would be way out there.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •