Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MasterTang View Post
    I knew Les' brother Alex pretty well as I worked in a music store and he came in there a lot.

Scotty I knew from a pup, but I never got to play with Mike.

By the time SA got to be Mike, Jennifer, Gerard, and Scotty, it had been through a ton of players. Alan was Mr. Cool. He was fun to work with, and an all around great guy.

As far as playing, I don't play live any more, but I do a fair bit of my own stuff as a hobby. It's all instrumental, and you can find it here:

www.iacmusic.com/fozzieandjack

I stopped playing after I left Slak Alice in '88, and didn't play again until '04. My son got into it, and I started up again to help him, and had too much fun playing to put it down.

Gerard and I have been talking about doing some tunes over the web as it's really easy to send files, and work together. I'm really looking forward to it. We had some stuff started in another band I was with him, that we never got to finish. I'm really looking forward to it

BTW, na alii, I noticed you were an AHS grad. I am too. I was class of '80. We probably know a lot of the same people.
    Aurite a fellow AHS grad. Yeah I'm 77' grad so there's one year when you and I was there from 76'-77'. A lot of great rock musicians from AHS. Larry Ponce, Richard Kanoho, Brian Spalding, Teddy Among, Teddy Among is still playing and is with a group called Slug and he's the younger brother of Les. Last I seen Gerard was a few months back at Anna Bananas playing with Black Prizm in a Battle of the Bands event. Is Gerard still with Brain Spadling of AaronsRod? One of your classmate Todd Sanford has an older brother Brain Sanford and he's just got into playing again after a 17 year hiatus. He was in bands called Naggs Head, Broken Glass and Marshall Law but as Scotty Moniz says "This time it's about the music and not the image". A lot of old timers are coming back to play but only for fun as everyone has a regular full time job.
    I only started playing gigs 4 years ago as I was a spectator 30years ago going from club to club checking out the the local rock scene. Here's our myspace site as well as Brian Sanford's Broken Glass site.

www.myspace.com/steppenstonehawaii
    www.myspace.com/brokenglasshawaii

Comment

• Re: Night Clubs from the Past

I knew Brian and Richard quite well, as we were in school together from the time I moved to Aiea in '73 through graduation (all class of '80 as well). Alvah Scott baby!!!

On the "what are they up to nowadays" note, Brian lives in the bay area, we talked not too long ago. The last time I saw Richard was at our 20 year class reunion. Gerard and Brian did another CD recently with Aaronsrod, and had the whole gang back together for it.
      Here's the info:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=81113801

I knew Ted as well, although it was more a casual acquaintance from the music store.

I think Nagg's Head also had another bud playing in it. Mark Williams I believe. They did a longass stint at Moose McGillicuddy's in Waikiki years ago.

Mark was also in Slak Alice as the other guitar when we first started that band.

He was the first to go, and when he left, for me anyway it just didn't feel the same. I loved playing with Ed and Gerard, but a few guys in the interim filling in on guitar didn't work.

Those were the DAYZ!!!

I'll be getting back that way in a month or so, I may look some of the bruthas up, and we'll get a good 'ole jam together or something.

Remember the Queen Theater? The shows there were always a hoot

Comment

Originally posted by MasterTang View Post
        I knew Brian and Richard quite well, as we were in school together from the time I moved to Aiea in '73 through graduation (all class of '80 as well). Alvah Scott baby!!!

On the "what are they up to nowadays" note, Brian lives in the bay area, we talked not too long ago. The last time I saw Richard was at our 20 year class reunion. Gerard and Brian did another CD recently with Aaronsrod, and had the whole gang back together for it.
        Here's the info:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=81113801

I knew Ted as well, although it was more a casual acquaintance from the music store.

I think Nagg's Head also had another bud playing in it. Mark Williams I believe. They did a longass stint at Moose McGillicuddy's in Waikiki years ago.

Mark was also in Slak Alice as the other guitar when we first started that band.

He was the first to go, and when he left, for me anyway it just didn't feel the same. I loved playing with Ed and Gerard, but a few guys in the interim filling in on guitar didn't work.

Those were the DAYZ!!!

I'll be getting back that way in a month or so, I may look some of the bruthas up, and we'll get a good 'ole jam together or something.

Remember the Queen Theater? The shows there were always a hoot
        I held a BBQ Rock Jam last month at the Rainbow Bay Pavilion A-Frame. A lot of rock musicians was there and we had a blast. I'm looking to hold another one in the summer. I remember The Queen Theater well with many metal bands such as Sacred Rite, Aaronsrod, Syanide, Velvet Rose. BTW, Scotty Moniz used to play with Darren Inamoto and Darren is still gigging with a band called 4D. Other old timers like Mark Caldera is still playing these days as he plays music for a living. He's doing a duo called Soul Bucket. I forgot another AHS grad that's a rock musician is Carlos Barientos.

Comment

Carlos and I go way back. LOL He's a good guy. He was in Cyanide, and a few other bands too. Another fellow worth mention was Frank Paulinho. Good guitar player and fun to hang out with.

I know Mark Caldera from somewhere too. God it's been a long time since I heard some of these names.

Comment

The Cock's Roost in the Marketplace with Iva Kinimaka in the early '70's. And no one's mentioned Queen's Surf. I still am mad at Fasi for tearing that down because Spence Weaver wouldn't give a campaign donation. Also the Lemon Tree. And the Lollipop on Beachwalk

Comment

I saw Liz Damon (pre-Orient Express) performing at the Cock's Roost in early 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterTang View Post
                Carlos and I go way back. LOL He's a good guy. He was in Cyanide, and a few other bands too. Another fellow worth mention was Frank Paulinho. Good guitar player and fun to hang out with.

I know Mark Caldera from somewhere too. God it's been a long time since I heard some of these names.
                Frank Paulino is hot guitarist. He was in Marshall Law with Brian Sanford on bass, Barry on vocals and Domingo on drums. I just seen Domingo tonight as he came by to check out our gig. We were shooting the breeze about the old Jazz Cellar days. I also liked Mark Kaleiwahea of Sacred Rite. I first saw him in 82' when they were called Sabre. Some bands and individuals myspace pages.

http://www.myspace.com/blackprizm

http://www.myspace.com/sacredrite

http://www.myspace.com/aaronsrod808

http://www.myspace.com/buddhistpriest665

http://www.myspace.com/4dhawaii

http://www.myspace.com/scottmoniz

http://www.myspace.com/markkaleiwahea

http://www.myspace.com/tbonez7
                Last edited by na alii; May 25, 2008, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I used to work at Waikiki Junction....

Comment

The Among brothers went to my high school. One year in school ('76 or '77) they put on Kiss makeup during a pep rally in the courtyard.

I also knew 2 of the Among sisters pretty well, the family lived up in Palisades a few blocks above me.

Maybe one of you guys know about the band that played in Jazz Cellar who had a lead singer that looked a lot like Jim Morrison of the doors. This was in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                      The Cock's Roost in the Marketplace with Iva Kinimaka in the early '70's. And no one's mentioned Queen's Surf. I still am mad at Fasi for tearing that down because Spence Weaver wouldn't give a campaign donation. Also the Lemon Tree. And the Lollipop on Beachwalk
                      I designed the logo for the Lollipop Lounge, way back when.
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                        The Among brothers went to my high school. One year in school ('76 or '77) they put on Kiss makeup during a pep rally in the courtyard.

I also knew 2 of the Among sisters pretty well, the family lived up in Palisades a few blocks above me.

Maybe one of you guys know about the band that played in Jazz Cellar who had a lead singer that looked a lot like Jim Morrison of the doors. This was in the 80's.
                        Dennis Among is a 77' PCHS grad and Les Among is a 78' PCHS grad. They lived on Anihinihi St. My old bassist Lou Torres lived next to the Amongs. They also had a cousin Alex Among that was a great guitar player. The guy you're talking about that looked like Jim Morrison is Mark. He's now an artist in Waikiki.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post

I remember that group! The lead did look like Jim Morrison... was he paralyzed in one arm or something? It looked like he didn't have the use of one of them. Great times... great music.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                            I remember that group! The lead did look like Jim Morrison... was he paralyzed in one arm or something? It looked like he didn't have the use of one of them. Great times... great music.
                            Yes he was paralyzed in one arm. His name is Mark and now works as an artist in Waikiki.
                            Last edited by na alii; June 15, 2008, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, Queen's Surf - good, Fasi - bad, on that one anyway

Don't forget Rosie's Boathouse in Kaneohe, by the Post Office. Used to see Bla Pahinui there a bunch.

What was the name of the notorious 80s hoochie house at the 'Gateway To Waikiki' where the former Jack In The Crack sits vacant, accross from Sizzler? Had the exterior painted all tropical, and City officials were always in a tizzy about it. I used to work for the owner a little, and I can't remember the doggone names of either, tho both are right on the other side of my minds door...knock knock, hellooooo...?!
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: Yeah, Queen's Surf - good, Fasi - bad, on that one anyway

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                Don't forget Rosie's Boathouse in Kaneohe, by the Post Office. Used to see Bla Pahinui there a bunch.

What was the name of the notorious 80s hoochie house at the 'Gateway To Waikiki' where the former Jack In The Crack sits vacant, accross from Sizzler? Had the exterior painted all tropical, and City officials were always in a tizzy about it. I used to work for the owner a little, and I can't remember the doggone names of either, tho both are right on the other side of my minds door...knock knock, hellooooo...?!
                                That place was a scam. I think it was called Tiki Torch.

Comment

Working...
                                X