Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Night Clubs from the Past

I used to go to Territorial Tavern downtown on Bishop Street. Had a mad crush on the bartender who looked sorta like Sonny Bono. I've heard he's still bartending around down - does anyone know where? sorry, I'm old - can't remember his name. but he was really cute
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

• Re: Nagg's Head

Boy, do I feel sorry for anyone that thinks the 80s can't be topped!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Anybody remember Kojack's? I think it was on Young and Kalakaua. My friend used to play bass for Toma/Natto at that place way back in the 80's. Not really a nightclub, more like a lounge.

Comment

La Hula Rhumba on Lunalilo St. You gotta be old...
          [IMG]file:///C:/Users/msteeln/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/msteeln/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Comment

La Hula Rhumba on Lunalilo St. You gotta be old...

Comment

Dyke's Market and Tavern in Kalihi. D'Lani knows that one, and I'll bet can recall even Lucky Luck's Tavern in Hawaii Kai.

Comment

There were a bunch of "Grills"...Kuhio Grill, Denver Grill, Beaver Grill, Aloha Grill, and don't forget all the bars in all the Bowling Alleys. Anyone remember Boulevard Bowl across Oahu Prison now OCCC. Who can forget the Oasis where they had them old time strippers. My father took our family, the whole ohana, to the Oasis when my oldest sister graduated and I saw my first stripper. If I recall correctly Bill "da knee" Pacheco a friend of my father's was the manager and that's how us young ones were allowed in.

Comment

I'm sure I won't be the first, but Kuhio Grill on S. King, the Gingerman, upstairs and down, was always interesting. Especially the genius who decided free spaghetti night and $00.25 tequila night was a good combo.! Charley's tavern, just down from there. And it wasn't a night club, but nickle Primo beer night at
                  the Old Stadium was always an occasion!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    Just got an email from someone who found this thread and asked me to post a message in the hopes it strikes a chord with others:
                    I do know 3 of the members of Naggs Head. Brian Sanford was playing with me recently in Velvet Mantis and now he's with Black Prizm. Teddy Among is currently playing with 3 bands with Slug, Big Dawg and Black Prizm. Larry Ponce went to AHS with me but he's a few years older. I last seen Larry last year and he no longer plays. He owns a solar company selling solar water units as well as photovoltaic systems. No one knows the whereabouts of frontman Vernon Beebe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      Boy, do I feel sorry for anyone that thinks the 80s can't be topped!
                      I was talking with a former 80s musicians recently who by the way still performs but not 80s rock. He told me he wouldn't be caught dead wearing spandex even though he wore them back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                        There were a bunch of "Grills"...Kuhio Grill, Denver Grill, Beaver Grill, Aloha Grill, and don't forget all the bars in all the Bowling Alleys. Anyone remember Boulevard Bowl across Oahu Prison now OCCC. Who can forget the Oasis where they had them old time strippers. My father took our family, the whole ohana, to the Oasis when my oldest sister graduated and I saw my first stripper. If I recall correctly Bill "da knee" Pacheco a friend of my father's was the manager and that's how us young ones were allowed in.
                        I never went to Oasis but my husband & I once went to Forbidden City. That was my first time seeing actual strippers. Needless to say - I never went back. HE might have, but he didn't tell me if he did.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          I never went to Oasis but my husband & I once went to Forbidden City. That was my first time seeing actual strippers. Needless to say - I never went back. HE might have, but he didn't tell me if he did.
                          I went to the Stoplite. Once.
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

A web wanderer named Gerry found this thread and asked to have a brief message posted as he looks for photos relating to the World Café:
                            My name is Gerry Mattia, I reside in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I had the great opportunity to befriend two musicians that were 'headliners' at "World Café", that have now gone past twelve years. I am trying to compile old pics of 'World Café' to thank them for having gone back in studio and recording the tune, "World Café", I wrote the lyrics for and they musician'd. The project requires a collection of photographs - "IN" and "AROUND" that famous place - "World Café". If you have a pic (or more) please email: gerry@mattia.ca. All pictures submitted will be treated only for the picture itself -- acknowledgement for contribution will be given if you ask for said acknowledgement -- please understand I had to word it that way for legal reasons. . . anyone contributing deserves that kind of thanks. I will send each and everyone who contributes a link to the "video reaction" when they first see the final product - it will be set to the tune "World Café" that they recorded. THERE IS NO COMPENSATION FOR CONTRIBUTION TO THIS LOVING PROJECT.
                            Please get in touch if you think you can help!

Comment

Outrigger Waikiki Showroom goes dark

HonoluluPulse:

The Outrigger Waikiki Showroom, a showcase for local and visiting talent since 1969, closed its doors Wednesday, Nov. 20. Management said a reopening is planned after renovations in 2014, likely with a new production or show format.
                              During the mid 70's, I worked downstairs in the Blue Dolphin Room during the popularity boom of the Society of Seven, upstairs in the showroom. The crowd was always packed and energized. "The current act, the Society of Seven LV (Latest Version), was told about the shuttering moments after it gave its final performance before a crowd of 60." Another showroom closed now. But it does sound like the time had come.

Over the decades, Waikiki showrooms have become an endangered specials. With the Outrigger’s temporary closure, the remaining showrooms now include the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani’s Ainahau Ballroom, home to “Creation,” a Tihati Polynesian revue; the Magic of Polynesia showroom at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel, which houses John Hirokawa’s magic show; and the Royal Hawaiian Center’s fourth floor showroom, where a “Legends in Concert” production prevails.
                              The Royal Hawaiian’s Monarch Room still operates, but only as a special events venue, and show sites once housed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, Hilton Hawaiian Village and Moana Surfrider Hotel have been repurposed for retail space or other use. Free-standing showrooms such as the Duke Kahanamoku’s, Queen’s Surf, Hula Hut and Oceania Floating Restaurant were demolished over time.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

We could use The Blue Dolphin again, and the greats that played there. never be another time and place like that, you're to be envied, amati, if you were able to appreciate the moments.

Comment

Working...
                                X