Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Night Clubs from the Past

Wasn't Jilly's at the Outrigger Reef Hotel where Shorebird is? It's next to the Halekulani Hotel. It's now called Outrigger Reef on the Beach.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
      you know, i read right through this before & never batted an eye. i remember cilly's being here, not that the hyatt.
      You're correct. Cilly's was across from Dominic's Rock & Roll Clinic at the corner of McCully and Ala Wai. Heine Fountain owner of The Jazz Cellar was also the owner of Cilly's. He had a last day party for former employees of The Jazz Cellar, The Cellar and Cilly's on Dec. 30th 2007 at The Cellar. Heine sold The Cellar.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
        Wasn't Jilly's at the Outrigger Reef Hotel where Shorebird is? It's next to the Halekulani Hotel. It's now called Outrigger Reef on the Beach.
        na alii I don't know I am trying to find out. I am not in Hawaii anymore that's why I am looking for all of your help. I remember it was called "Jilly's at the Reef" I am also told there is only one Reef Hotel on Oahu (please tell me if that is true or not) I also know the Reef hotel has undergone 120 Million dollar renovation recently, with that much money put into it the hotel must look totally different.

I don't know what Shorebird is but the Reef hotel is in fact called the Outrigger Reef on the Beach now, http://search2.outrigger.com/?destin...sr=rank&t=dest
        I am just hoping that somebody can definitely tell me that this was the place or not. Thanks na alii !

Comment

Originally posted by Chala View Post
          na alii I don't know I am trying to find out. I am not in Hawaii anymore that's why I am looking for all of your help. I remember it was called "Jilly's at the Reef" I am also told there is only one Reef Hotel on Oahu (please tell me if that is true or not) I also know the Reef hotel has undergone 120 Million dollar renovation recently, with that much money put into it the hotel must look totally different.

I don't know what Shorebird is but the Reef hotel is in fact called the Outrigger Reef on the Beach now, http://search2.outrigger.com/?destin...sr=rank&t=dest
          I am just hoping that somebody can definitely tell me that this was the place or not. Thanks na alii !
          Jilly's was at where they now call the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. It's next to the Halekulani Hotel.

Comment

Jilly's was at where they now call the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. It's next to the Halekulani Hotel.
            Ok na alii you sound pretty sure. Thank you very much

Comment

Jilly's was in the basement of that hotel, on Lewers street.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yup . Never went to Jilly's... Shorebird yes.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Jilly's was in the basement of that hotel, on Lewers street.
                  Yep in the basement, wow, thanks Craig, and na alii

Comment

Okay my bad - that was Cilly's across from Dominic's like cynsaligia mentioned. That's the place that I think of when I picture fights in bars. Sorry Jilly's - didn't mean to give you a bad rap.

And correcting my original post - the nightclub at the Hyatt was Spats, not Cilly's.

Bully's, Cilly's, Jilly's, and my club-hopping friend's name was Willie. Sometimes things can get a little confusing.
                    Last edited by PearlCityMike; May 11, 2008, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                      And correcting my original post - the nightclub at the Hyatt was Spats, not Cilly's.
                      Spats was hot too.
                      Spats Basement of the Hyatt Regency
                      2424 Kalakaua Avenue,
                      Honolulu, Hawaii, USA 96815-3289

I remember Ryan the DJ, he used to go to NYC to Ice Palace 57 for the new cutting edge stuff. Also this girl Kelly blonde beautiful and body for days from California she was a regular. I used to watch her dance all night. Every Saturday night they used do that Rocky Horror Picture show dance, that was cool.

Does anyone know when Jillys closed?

Comment

Dunno when Jilly's closed, but I took a walk down memory lane when I read this whole thread, and I can't believe I'm the only slum bum that went to "Red Lion Dance Palace". It was across Lewers Street from the Jazz Cellar.

We used to go there between sets when I played weekends at JC.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterTang View Post
                          Dunno when Jilly's closed, but I took a walk down memory lane when I read this whole thread, and I can't believe I'm the only slum bum that went to "Red Lion Dance Palace". It was across Lewers Street from the Jazz Cellar.

We used to go there between sets when I played weekends at JC.
                          What band were you in?

Comment

I was one of the founding members of Slak Alice... Too much fun then!
                            I'm on the far right.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterTang View Post
                              I was one of the founding members of Slak Alice... Too much fun then!
                              I'm on the far right.

I know Scotty Moniz and Blind Mike. I knew the lead singer's hubby Alan Atkins the sound man at JC. Scotty is back and now playing bass. Mike gigs in Waikiki playing with my buddy Les Among. BTW, are you still playing music these days?
                              Last edited by na alii; May 24, 2008, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I knew Les' brother Alex pretty well as I worked in a music store and he came in there a lot.

Scotty I knew from a pup, but I never got to play with Mike.

By the time SA got to be Mike, Jennifer, Gerard, and Scotty, it had been through a ton of players. Alan was Mr. Cool. He was fun to work with, and an all around great guy.

As far as playing, I don't play live any more, but I do a fair bit of my own stuff as a hobby. It's all instrumental, and you can find it here:

www.iacmusic.com/fozzieandjack

I stopped playing after I left Slak Alice in '88, and didn't play again until '04. My son got into it, and I started up again to help him, and had too much fun playing to put it down.

Gerard and I have been talking about doing some tunes over the web as it's really easy to send files, and work together. I'm really looking forward to it. We had some stuff started in another band I was with him, that we never got to finish. I'm really looking forward to it

BTW, na alii, I noticed you were an AHS grad. I am too. I was class of '80. We probably know a lot of the same people.

Comment

Working...
                                X