No announcement yet.

Investigative stories...where are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigative stories...where are they?

How come we hardly see them anymore?

There used to be a segment on the national news station, I think it was NBC titled "The Fleecing of America" that reported on wasteful gov't spending, etc.

Only lately can I recall two, very well-done stories-- both by the Associated Press.

1. Pharmaceutical drugs found in the public drinking water systems of several states.

2. There may be more, undiscovered murder victims from Charles Manson's cult buried near/at where they lived before the infamous murders.

How come the AP had to do the drugs in the water story?

Where were the rest of the national media?

Even scarier, where was the EPA in all this?

And, why are we no longer seeing these types of investigative reports?

Re: Investigative stories...where are they?

I speak from experience on this, having run for political office, and my comments are in regards to the lack of investigative journalists on the Big Island specifically.

The football coaching fiasco's at the two westside high schools. (Nobody cared.)
    The extensive traveling of our council members. (Nobody noticed.)
    The gravy train of entitlement and racism that is the county employment system. (Too many beneficiaries.)
    The evidence room at HPD - Kona. (Editors know the cops run the show.)

There is not a single journalist on Big Island with the guts to call themselves investigative. It should be embarrasing to anybody who works in the field, but it's not.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Are you referring to the lack of investigative reporting that was done on local tv news when Matt Levi, Larry Price, Scott Shirai and others would deliver these pieces on air, sometimes the stations would even devote half-hour news specials based on these reports which could be about crime, drugs, prostitution, money laundering, politics, etc. I agree you don't see these reports very often, I mean severe weather and UH football needs so much time on the news right?

Aj

Comment

Because the size of Hawaii's broadcast and print media is small compared to other states, the job opportunities are limited. I believe it is under these circumstances that many journalists and reporters are reluctant to step on people's toes and to violate confidences. As they say, these islands are like small rocks. Start burning your bridges and you will quickly be on "the outside looking in." Not a good situation for anyone who hopes to make journalism their livelihood.

A few years ago, an online/print reporter lost a regular beat covering a high-profile UH sport after writing a series of investigative articles on that team. Some of it revealed information that showed the program in an unfavorable light. After that, he switched beats as he basically lost the trust of the coaching staff.

The cliche in Hawaii goes, everybody knows almost everybody else. And if you don't know "somebody", you probably know their neighbor, friend, workmate, schoolmate, relative, in-law, calabash cousin, you name it. So besides the "trust" issue, there's the matter of stepping on other people's toes when a reporter delves into a sensitive topic. And those "other people" may be those you work with, see at the supermarket, socialize with at your extended family's BBQ,.... and they may know where you live. More so on the neighbor islands than on Oahu.

Very tough to be an investigative reporter in a "small town" setting.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Hmmmmm.....hmmmmmm....verrrry good point there.....hmmmmm....maybe someone should....investigate it!!

TOP STORY ON TONIGHT'S EYE ON HAWAII...INVESTIGATIVE STORIES, WHERE ARE THEY?

Our top investigative reporter had a lead on this but a mysterious bus incident left him in the hospital with treadmarks over his face...FILM AT ELEVEN

Or maybe because this state is so small, the foot you may be stepping on may be your next boss.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
            Only lately can I recall two, very well-done stories-- both by the Associated Press.

1. Pharmaceutical drugs found in the public drinking water systems of several states.

2. There may be more, undiscovered murder victims from Charles Manson's cult buried near/at where they lived before the infamous murders....

We did see them. Done by the Associated Press. Who are mainstream "national media."

Seems you don't understand how the AP works.

They actually have staff writers and photogs who go out and do stories. They routinely win awards for their work.

As for Frankie's Market's and craigwatanabe's insinuation that "local" reporters might be afraid to report on stories here... well, obviously they're out of touch with reality. Remember, they don't actually do this for a living -- working media (or do they? If so, spill the beans), so they have no clue. >>"the foot you may be stepping on may be your next boss"

Like we really care...

...I sure don't. If I did, I wouldn't be doing what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
              How come we hardly see them anymore?

There used to be a segment on the national news station, I think it was NBC titled "The Fleecing of America" that reported on wasteful gov't spending, etc.

========================
              Quote from a press release yesterday:

"KGMB9 News also received a big acknowledgment from its national peers over the weekend in Los Angeles, winning the award for Best Investigative Reporting by the Associated Press. Reporter Tim Sakahara, Photographers Mike Cherry and Robbie Reich, and Associate Producer Taizo Braden were honored for their work on “Dorm Security: An Open Door?” which aired last November, exposing the lack of security at University of Hawaii dorms. "

Comment

And regarding private entities or individuals, I believe it simply comes down to media outlets big and small afraid of getting sued.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  And regarding private entities or individuals, I believe it simply comes down to media outlets big and small afraid of getting sued.
                  Sued for what?

Telling the truth?

There are a lot of checks and balances in place to avoid libel, so I'm not sure where the "afraid of getting sued" thing comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                    Sued for what?

Telling the truth?

There are a lot of checks and balances in place to avoid libel, so I'm not sure where the "afraid of getting sued" thing comes from.
                    I said they were "afraid of getting sued". Where did I say they were worried about losing? Lawsuits are costly to anyone involved, win or lose. They can turn into bitter wars of attrition in the hands of individuals who are simply concerned with hurting the defendant.

Comment

It's not a matter of reporters being too "chicken." People outside the news business have this idea that reporters do what they want, whenever they want, however long it takes and whatever it costs. We wish!
                      But reporters don't run newspapers and tv news outlets, editors do. And editors have been dealing with dwindling resources for some time, both in manpower and newshole. It's a judgment call to place a full-time reporter on an investigative story, because you then have to sacrifice daily reporting on other issues.
                      Another thing. Investigative reporting is a crap shoot. Often, you do a bunch of research and discover there's nothing there, and there's nothing to show for the time and money spent. Not many can afford that kind of gamble.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Our top investigative reporter had a lead on this but a mysterious bus incident left him in the hospital with treadmarks over his face...FILM AT ELEVEN
                        They're going to run the story in the middle of Letterman?

Comment

I really would like to see an investigative story on GRANTS. In fact, I found two this month that look like they exist but no moa. Yet, plenny kala was given. Every time I ask, I get the run around.

Some people's children.

Das ok.

I'm a blogger.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; March 18, 2008, 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot dee (a). :)
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Since this thread was posted in broadcast, i'm assuming the first question was directed towards why there arent that many broadcast news investigative stories anymore, at least on the local tv level.

the answer is the same as it is for print. money.

tv newsroom budgets get smaller each year. that means many things. one is you have to hire reporters who are cheaper, younger, and less experienced. and by the time they get the experience to start doing some good investigative pieces they find out the hawaii tv market can't pay them what they're worth, so they have to go work for public relations firms, become lawyers, or private investigators.

then you have the problem that burl pointed out about allocating time and energy toward researching something and coming up with zilch at the end. newspapers can't afford to do that too often and it's even worse for tv. take this imaginary scenario from a tv newsroom:

reporter: hey, i need some time to investigate something.

assignment desk: is whatever story you're working on going to be ready by the 5 p.m. show?

reporter: hell no. did you hear me? i need time to investigate, as in go over documents, meet with sources off camera, and file public disclosure requests, that sort of thing. the story might be ready next week.

assignment desk: forget it. i've got three reporters and nine things to cover today. maybe if you come in on your day off and work for free to set stuff up we can schedule an hour between other assignments next week.

reporter: kiss my ass.

okay, maybe not exactly like that, but you get the picture.

then you have advertising dollars dwindling in both tv and print and less and less general managers/publishers willing to piss advertisers off and have them pull their ads. there was a time when a tv station did a story about local pharmacy screwing up perscriptions and the store (who was and is still a big advertiser) threatened to pull ads because of the story. the station told the pharmacy to screw themselves because it was a good story and people needed to know and the ads were pulled and money lost. Well those days are loooooooong gone. For example, when was the last time that there was an investigative piece about a local car dealership? Ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                              ========================
                              Quote from a press release yesterday:

"KGMB9 News also received a big acknowledgment from its national peers over the weekend in Los Angeles, winning the award for Best Investigative Reporting by the Associated Press. Reporter Tim Sakahara, Photographers Mike Cherry and Robbie Reich, and Associate Producer Taizo Braden were honored for their work on “Dorm Security: An Open Door?” which aired last November, exposing the lack of security at University of Hawaii dorms. "
                              Yes I congratulate them for their work but honestly, where are the REAL investigative stories?

The ones involving public corruption, incompetence, etc.

I know they are out there, they just aren't being dug up.

Comment

Working...
                              X