Best Ramen on Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Ramen on Oahu

There's a dang good noodle place in Kailua, it's on the same street as Los Garcias but can't recall the name of it, sorry.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
      There's a dang good noodle place in Kailua, it's on the same street as Los Garcias but can't recall the name of it, sorry.
      are you thinking of rai rai ramen?
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Anyone been to Daiichi in Aiea by the post office? I'm no ramen expert but the miso ramen is soooo ono there.
        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
          I like Taishōken on Keʻeaumoku Street.
          Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I still have to try that. Did you get the noodle dish you dip in the broth?
          You mean the tsuke-men? It's their specialty -- I don't know of anywhere else that does that. The tsuke-men broth is really concentrated compared to regular ramen broth. Very tasty. However, my favorite is still the traditional shoyu ramen. Their noodle consistency is wonderful, and the broth is so ono.

Comment

Kani, I bet that's it! Dang good food but boring to sit in, so carrying it home rocks. I only went there one time but man...I'm not a noodle freak but I dug their soups and just....everything we bought that day.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

hi this is sansei and i agree with 1st wahine,ichiryu is a good ramen place is in my High school day's,i once ate there and it was yum! Also their is one coming up liliha street before you turn to go to lilha bakery and it's on the right hand side and this one is going to close soon so if you may happen to know of this ramen place,please post,please?

Well thank's for your time ps: There was one next to Ace stuido only they've closed and now it's a new business in that building.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                Also their is one coming up liliha street before you turn to go to lilha bakery and it's on the right hand side and this one is going to close soon so if you may happen to know of this ramen place,please post,please?
                Hi! Dis is 1stwahine. heheheh Da place is Janes Fountain. The noodles in broth are called by us locals "Saimin." Sometimes we like Won ton inside and BBQ sticks as a side dish. I also enjoy a cone sushi too.

Thank you for your time.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Some of these places sound great!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I guess I'd better get busy eating so I can rank them :P
                  Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

You mean the tsuke-men? It's their specialty -- I don't know of anywhere else that does that. The tsuke-men broth is really concentrated compared to regular ramen broth. Very tasty. However, my favorite is still the traditional shoyu ramen. Their noodle consistency is wonderful, and the broth is so ono.
                    Sam Sato's in Wailuku does a dry saimin with a nice, salty broth for dipping. I don't know if that's the same thing or even similar, but it's extremely popular and I loved it. So did my two friends.

Dyasu: You might want to dig up that ramen overview John Heckathorn did in Honolulu several years ago. Then you'll at least know what some people have already said and done. If you can't find it, I believe it's laminated and hanging on the wall at Tai Sei!
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Maybe not the best Raman shiru but I'm surprised no one mentioned a long time and old one at that: Shiro's Saimin in Aiea. Man dat buggah was one flashy dresser.

As in any Ramen shop it's all about the Shiru and I remember my Korean Friend who told me about a trip to Japan and went into a Ramen Shop. Immediately he added shoyu to it and to his dismay, was booted out. When he came back to Hawaii and he told me that story I told him I'd have booted him out too for insulting that family's broth that no doubt was handed down from generation to generation.

When I would go to any ramen shop that tasted good, I would always compliment the owner for their shiru. That's why they're there.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

What craig is saying is 100% true. In Japan they hold a "best ramen broth" competition from time to time, and the winner gets a corporately sponsored Ramen shop as his reward.

The last guy I saw who won it has his shop opened for lunch, and there is a line of 50+ people waiting to get in. The turnaround is fast, since Ramen is meant to be a quick meal.

The essence of ramen is the soup base, all other parts of it play supporting roles.
                        Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                          Kani, I bet that's it! Dang good food but boring to sit in, so carrying it home rocks. I only went there one time but man...I'm not a noodle freak but I dug their soups and just....everything we bought that day.
                          i love it over there! the only thing is that i can never figure out when they are open/closed?! maybe they just changed their phone number. i'll have to check on that.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          reflect, repent and reboot.
                          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

All this talk about ramen makes me want to find my DVD of Tampopo and watch it again. What a fun movie that was.

Comment

All this talk about ramen makes me want to find my DVD of Tampopo and watch it again. What a fun movie that was.
                              I'm just getting hungry thinking about all them noodles.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I have that DVD, too. A couple of years ago, I was searching Amazon.com and searched for "Tampopo" even though I already had it. It was priced well over $100. It was considered out-of-print and rare. I search eBay and it was over $100 there as well. I think someone came out with a re-print, so the prices have dropped.

Looking at Amazon this morning, Tampopo is priced at $62.66. All right! I still have a rare DVD.

Comment

Working...
                                X