No announcement yet.

[DTV] Best Converter Box in Hawai'i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [DTV] Best Converter Box in Hawai'i?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    This is directly from that forum, if you read it JK77 says that there is a stereo setting in the RF mode:

Yes, they will provide the separate L/R channels. The Insignia box offers the ability to change between stereo and mono, but using the RF connection, the only noticable difference is the sound is softer on the stereo setting.

So there you have it.
    What do you mean by softer? I gotta crank it up? Bad enough some of our local stations like to make their shows' volume level down and their commercials' volume level earth-shattering loud.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      What do you mean by softer? I gotta crank it up? Bad enough some of our local stations like to make their shows' volume level down and their commercials' volume level earth-shattering loud.
      Actually Db wise it's against the law or some kind of FCC mandate to do that but you can get away from that restriction by simply overprocessing the signal for higher dynamic range so it sounds louder but really it's the same decible levels.

That said I only quoted the source so I assume he meant with the stereo setting the signal isn't composite anymore and you get a lower overall volume.

One thing to remember is make sure if you have a TV set that has surround sound processing built in but are only using two of the six speaker outputs, make sure you set your audio settings to Stereo and not DD 5.1

I accidently left my HD TV on DD 5.1 and kept wondering why the background music on a commercial was hotter than the narration. It seems on some DD encoded commercials the narration is on the center speaker and the music on the front sides, but when you listen to DD without the center channel hooked up you don't hear the narration except what was mixed into the front side speakers for ambience.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Actually Db wise it's against the law or some kind of FCC mandate to do that but you can get away from that restriction by simply overprocessing the signal for higher dynamic range so it sounds louder but really it's the same decible levels.
        Tell that to my ears. I don't know whether it's the show-sponsored commercials or the TV station that set different volume setting.

Comment

From C|net: Which (nearly) free DTV converter box should I buy?

Comment

Tell that to my ears. I don't know whether it's the show-sponsored commercials or the TV station that set different volume setting.
            Hey ears its not what you think
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone might share some local experience with DTV converters since April. I just received my coupons and face the 'choice' of boxes. Digital Stream DTX 9950 (currently discounted at RS for $54.99) or Zenith DTT 901 (AKA Insignia DX1-APT, for $59.99 at BB or CC) top my list, with a slight preference for the RS discount (+ $5.99 for a 1 year replacement warranty, thereby extending the 'value' of the $40 coupon). Apparently, the makers have been modifying their products (at least DS and LG) in response to early problems encountered by consumers.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Salmoned,

We did tests on Oahu using Zenith and Ampex and the Zenith box worked a little better. We tested 54 points on the island.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                  Salmoned,

We did tests on Oahu using Zenith and Ampex and the Zenith box worked a little better. We tested 54 points on the island.

Mike
                  Have you tested the RCA DTA800(B1)?

Comment

We have not tested the RCA...sorry

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                      We have not tested the RCA...sorry
                      Please do.

Comment

Price-wise I think Wall-mart has the cheapest, and as I recall it had some good reviews.

Comment

Have you tested the RCA DTA800(B1)?
                          I have an RCA DTA800 and it does work most of the time. Sometimes I lose audio though.
                          Then I have to turn it off and back on to get the audio back.

Comment

Working...
                          X