Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping

Just got back from 2 nights at beautiful Malaekahana. It was great - I think we got the best campsite in the whole place!

Did not get to Goat Island, as the water was pretty choppy, but did have a ton of fun surfing. We even taught a Canadian tourist how to surf. Hope he keeps practicing.

Tomorrow is Bellows!! Yay!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Back from Bellows, and I was not very happy with their "camping facilities".

For one, the tenting area was covered in trash. We spent the first 15 minutes picking it up from all over our tiny, unmarked campsite. Then once we had made camp, we went and collected trash from all around, as it was such an eyesore. Next time I will bring a rake!

The bathrooms were awful. I'm no princess, but toilet paper and stall doors that close are not too much to ask for.

No showers, unless you count the one by the beach for rinsing off. By day 2 we were filthy.

And the tenting areas were in a wind tunnel! We used our firewood and some rope to shore up our tent, then we had to defend that firewood from our camping neighbors who wanted to take and burn it! Also, the tent areas are on a slope. Shoulda brought that rake.

Security? I saw only one person that worked at Bellows over the 3 days we were there, and she was just there to hose down the bathrooms one time.

Now for the best part - THE BEACH!! It was so beautiful! We boogie boarded nonstop, lounged with books, learned some new songs on the uke, went for walks, etc,...all from our auxiliary beachside setup. That was soooo nice.

All in all, I like Bellows for day use. Not sure I'll be spending any more nights there in the future.

Comment

Yes, I always try for Waimanalo Beach Park next to Bellows for camping in that area. Fewer camp sites, better facilities.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Oops, Waimanalo Bay Beach Park.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            All in all, I like Bellows for day use. Not sure I'll be spending any more nights there in the future.
            Wow! I sure am sorry to hear about the lack of maintenance and all the trash, as that's usually not the case there at all. I hope you reported the problems to the guard at the gate when you left, or called them when you got home.
            But yes, it's fabulous just for day use too! And another yes, it's usually windy.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

We used to go to Malaekahana every year with Campground "B" being the best. Campground "A" has a nice flat grassy area but if you look carefully, it's the leach field for the septic system there so it stinks after heavy rains.

Also "A" has a ton of mosquitoes because of the more wooded conditions. The one good thing about "A" is that because it's at the end of the run, you don't get too many campers and beach goers heading to the bathroom facilities on that side.

When walking to the launch point to Goat Island make sure you wear reef walkers even when walking on the shore as a lot of Portuguese Man-O-War lay just under the surface of the wet sand and when you step into the sand you can get stung.

When you start the walk (low tide on the reef) to Goat Island, stay to the left as you make your way over crossing over rocks when you hit the shore.

When at Goat Island, don't stay too long as the tide comes in and it makes the return trip to the launch point a treacherous one with water reaching 6-8 feet when the tide comes in, plus the crossing is where two tides meet so it can be a bit rough when the water reaches waist deep.

Other than that once you get to Goat Island, the cove is such a nice place to relax.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Camped at Bellows again this past weekend. I'm calling shenanigans on the AFB's "closure and cleanup" stunt in June. The place looks the same. Still broken restrooms. Still trash. Still no security.

Still beautiful on the beach.

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?q='camp...rlz=1I7GGLG_en

Try the Big Isle.
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                    I cant have been far from you the last time I went camping in France > Tarbes.

The only place I felt safe to drive on the Islands was the big Isle. No camping but lots of motels. Just loved the place,,,,, the boat ride to see the lava hiss into the sea,,,,,the helicopter flight.

I wanna go back tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                    X