Island Life 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Island Life 101

I saw Maui author/resident, Jill Engledow, interviewed on Sunrise this morning and this looks to be a good addition to any newcomer/newcomer-in-waiting's bookcase.

From it's web site:
    Hawai`i is delightfully different. Many people dream of moving to the Islands. But newcomers often wish they knew more about their adopted home. It's so different here!
    How did all these ethnic groups get to the Islands?
    Who is local, and who is Hawaiian?
    What's this pidgin they speak?
    Why do so many words start with "k"?
    And what the heck is chicken hekka?

Island Life 101: A Newcomer's Guide to Hawai`i answers these questions and more. Newcomers will find. . .
    Insights into how history affects Island life today
    Suggestions for ways you can contribute to the community, make friends and have fun
    Nuts-and-bolts survival tips, from how to pronounce Hawaiian words to where to find information on starting a business.
    Sounds interesting. I may have to buy it to see what I've been doing wrong for 30 years!

Re: Island Life 101

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Sounds interesting. I may have to buy it to see what I've been doing wrong for 30 years!
    The title coulda been worse...
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
      The title coulda been worse...
      Too funny! I almost used that to describe the book in my original post...Island Life 101 appears to be something of a Hawaii for Dummies...not knowing there really was a Hawaii for Dummies!!! I love the Dummies series of books!

Comment

Too funny! I almost used that to describe the book in my original post...Island Life 101 appears to be something of a Hawaii for Dummies...not knowing there really was a Hawaii for Dummies!!! I love the Dummies series of books!
        There should be a Hawaii Threads for Dummies too. What not to say as a newbie if you want to have longevity on this board
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          There should be a Hawaii Threads for Dummies too. What not to say as a newbie if you want to have longevity on this board
          Ouch!

I ordered the book on Amazon as soon as I saw this post, and I'm looking forward to reading it. In my home - so I don't look like a tourist.

PS, there is a $4 shipping charge from Amazon, so if you want it and see it in the store, get it there.
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            Ouch!

I ordered the book on Amazon as soon as I saw this post, and I'm looking forward to reading it. In my home - so I don't look like a tourist.

PS, there is a $4 shipping charge from Amazon, so if you want it and see it in the store, get it there.
            Ahh don't waste your money, you'll get all the expertise right here on HT. No better place than HT to tell you what is and what isn't correct by a number of us who will gladly help you, FOR FREE!! At least if we give you bum advice you can do so right here with this little icon.

Comment

Ouch!

Once you finish reading it, turtlegirl, please review it here! I'm hoping it'll be a good and reliable resource for malihini; something that will be archived on HT...regardless of what Craig says! I wonder if shipping would've been less from the book's web page?

Come to think of it...it really should be reviewed by kamaaina!

Comment

regardless of what Craig says! I wonder if shipping would've been less from the book's web page?

Come to think of it...it really should be reviewed by kamaaina!
                hey nothing beats free! And I don't need no darned book to tell me how to act local. But den again some malahini just gotta put dem feet in da mout and make all "A" ladat eh?

Comment

how you goin ack? that would be how are you going to act for all you malihini out there.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

[...]PS, there is a $4 shipping charge from Amazon, so if you want it and see it in the store, get it there.
                    Be glad you didn't fall for this listing. Yikes!

I emailed the seller. The devil made me do it!

Comment

Ouch!

Hey, Turtlegirl. I ordered it, too. But I ordered it direct with Paypal, so no shipping charge. ...Same thing, I don't want to be a complete moron, especially since I'm intending to make the Big Island my home. A partial moron I'll always be.
                      Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill

Comment

heh, don't tell anyone, but I also have Hawaii for Dummies, and Living and Retiring in Hawaii!

And Happy Birthday, Onxy!!

Comment

Be glad you didn't fall for this listing. Yikes!

I emailed the seller. The devil made me do it!
                          Wow, over $100 for a book!!! That's crazy!! I hope that copy was signed by the pope!!

Oh, and what IS chicken hekka?

Comment

Wow, over $100 for a book!!! That's crazy!! I hope that copy was signed by the pope!!

Oh, and what IS chicken hekka?

$100 on how to act local? Sounds like a scam to me!

Chicken Hekka is the newest local style dance at all the clubs, kinda like the Chicken Dance but with attitude you know the Chicken dance Jawaiian style.

Okay now that I got your attention, it's a Japanese dish made with chicken. Here's a recipe

Comment

heh, don't tell anyone, but I also have Hawaii for Dummies, and Living and Retiring in Hawaii![...]
                              Good for you! You've been doing your homework. Granted, books like these become outdated but, by then, you'll have enough experience to write your own!
                              Wow, over $100 for a book!!! That's crazy!! I hope that copy was signed by the pope!![...]
                              I wrote the seller asking if it was a typo. I'm sure it's not and I'm sure I won't hear back!

Comment

Working...
                              X