New Advertiser website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Advertiser website

Their new site debuts at 2pm today. You can go to the current site and click on a preview of the new one; the link is right next to the countdown clock they've had up for a few weeks.
    I had to laugh at their full-page ad for the new website, on the back of today's second section. They show an image of the new website, and the date on the image is "Tuesday, March 22, 2008." Uh... OOPS! Tuesday was March 25.
    Let's hope that isn't an omen of things to come.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: New Advertiser website

Their hosting of AP News sucks now. It used to be you had the quick links to the various sections of the AP (latest news, world headlines, sports, etc) along the left side of the screen -- they no longer exist, so you're stuck with whatever they have on the front page and that's it.

Comment

Already discovered a problem. Below the Breaking News section there are links for various Community News sections. I clicked on Windward Oahu, but it took me to Central Oahu. So I went back and clicked on Central Oahu and sure enough it took me to Windward Oahu.
      You'd think they would have double-checked all their links before going public.
      Finding a mistook misteak misteek boo-boo in the very first thing I checked is not a good omen.

Comment

Since the flight deck of the Death Star is probably watching here closely today ...

When I'm done reading some stories I clicked to get to from the homepage, I can't get back to the homepage with my "show previous page" browser button. Anybody else?

Also ... the site is just as cluttered as it always was ... more so, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
          Since the flight deck of the Death Star is probably watching here closely today ...
          Not too closely apparently, as those links are still bad. I just now tried a few more. The East Oahu link took me to the Leeward Oahu page, and of course the Leeward Oahu link took me to the East Oahu page.
          And the West Oahu link took me to the Fargo, North Dakota page! Okay. Not.

When I'm done reading some stories I clicked to get to from the homepage, I can't get back to the homepage with my "show previous page" browser button. Anybody else?
          Not a problem with mine. After seeing your comment, I tried it from several different stories, and it worked fine.
          You hittin' the right button?

Agreed.

Comment

I have the Honolulu Advertiser set as my Home Page at work.

I thought I accidentally stumbled on the KGMB website instead.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I don't like the looks. Looks too harsh. Needs some flowers or something to soften it. I liked the look of the old site.

just my opinion
              n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post

So I have my priorities, right? I can't find the blogs. Where are the blogs? Must one log on for blog apparent? I need my fix of asthma-free volcanic ash, cat dishing, and family tree!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Do ALL Gannett websites look like this? It's completely generic and devoid of personality.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    So I have my priorities, right? I can't find the blogs. Where are the blogs? Must one log on for blog apparent? I need my fix of asthma-free volcanic ash, cat dishing, and family tree!
                    OK, I found them! Interesting! Tons of civilians! I've seen the woman who does "View from the Beach" on YouTube!

I'm not a design officianado, but I do like their blog feature. You can have a blog anywhere, but if it's linked to a site such as this, you'll get more hits.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I hope they dump that log in crap when you need to get to a story.

Well as one stated in another thread on progress, there's a time to preserve for nostalgia, then there's make room for the new generation. Personally I preferred the other website design. Now it looks just like some mainland virtual rag.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It looks like the website of a mainland network television news affiliate.

I get that they're trying to emphasize multimedia, the content they do in addition to straight news articles. I get that they're having a torrid love affair with blogs, the very medium that once scared the pants off of traditional media.

But I think it's a step in the wrong direction. People go to the Advertiser because it's a mainstream news publication with all the good and bad that goes with that, the credibility and resources and rich news content.

Now it looks like a website any joker could put together with some free CMS and an off-the-shelf theme. It doesn't look at all like a newspaper site. If the Advertiser was just an online publication, maybe the look would fit, but... at this point it looks like they're planning ahead for the day they indeed kill off the printed product.

Comment

More importantly, is it any faster?
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            More importantly, is it any faster?
                            Ahhh but will it blend
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

looks a lot like the forbes.com website. eric's asleep so i can't ask him, and i'm tired of googling, but if there's any connection b/w forbes & gannet, i guess that would explain the similarities. *shrug*
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X