Merrie Monarch 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrie Monarch 2008

...is next week. Are you ready? It's my Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's combined!

Miss Aloha Hula Contestants
    Wahine Halau
    Kane Halau

Leilani Rojas and Aureana Tseu competed for MAH last year. Kapalai`ula DeSilva competed 2 years prior, I believe.

Sonny Ching and Halau Na Mamo O Pu`uanahulu are back after a 2 year hiatus! Also back are O'Brien Eselu's Ke Kai o Kahiki (kane), Chinky's Hula Halau o Kawailiula, Ellen Castillos Puka`ikapuaokalani Hula Halau (wahine), and Halau Hula o Hokulani (Larry & Hokulani DeRego).

Noticeably absent are last year's Overall winners, Halau I Ka Wekiu. DAMN. I really wanted to see those boys in their malos again. Images of them as Lohiau are still fresh.

Also absent are Kaleo Trinidad's men, Snowbird's gang, the girls from Na Lei o Kaholoku, and Manu Boyd's halau. A lot of new faces and old ones we haven't seen for a while this year.

I know Sistah Pua'i Mana'o is soaking up the Haili VB Tournament (her most favorite weekend, MM is 2nd), but hopefully she'll be in here soon!

Unfortunately I'll be missing it this year as I prepare for my trip to Sedona...but hopefully several HTers will go and give us the scoops!
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Merrie Monarch 2008

Lei, didn't you magically appear on HT one year around MM time? I remember your eloquent discussion of the subject. Please postpone your trip to Sedona!

Comment

the tourney is in full swing today. The māhū are in full force. The Issue are battling hard (so far undefeated, yay!), which means tomorrow will be a heavy day to see if they make it out of their pool.

Yes, we love us our MM, but there is something ~special~ about Haili.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        Sonny Ching and Halau Na Mamo O Pu`uanahulu are back after a 2 year hiatus!
        Hooray! And have you seen Sonny's spot for Kau Inoa? Very well done.
        Who are the judges this year?

Also back are O'Brien Eselu's Ke Kai o Kahiki (kane),
        Hooray again! And is O'Brien still the emcee at the Paradise Cove Luau shows?

Chinky's Hula Halau o Kawailiula,
        WHOA! Not to rain on this thread, but... parents, protect your children.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Noticeably absent are last year's Overall winners, Halau I Ka Wekiu.
          The two kumu have promotion of their new album taking up time these days; no time to train for MM.

Comment

Oh yes, SO EXCITING!

My friend Kapalai Da Silva emailed recently to say she has a ticket for me but due to work, I cannot go this year. She didn't tell me that she is going for Miss Aloha Hula again!! Sneaky girl!!!

I LOVE O'Brien Eselu's kane - I saw them in Japan in 04 after they won MM and they were absolutely AWESOME.

is O'Brien still the emcee at the Paradise Cove Luau shows
            I still see him out there now and then but he is so skinny, I hardly recognize him! I thought he had the gastric bypass but he says he didn't!! He has been sick though so I just hope he is taking care of himself, especially now - I'm sure it's a lot of stress getting ready for MM!!!

I saw Halau I Ka Wekiu's kumus promoting their new CD on the Sunrise morning show - was it this morning? Dunno but it was good to see them!

I think it's great that groups take time off and then come back - it spreads the winnings around and makes it even more of a treat for us fans when they do compete.
            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
              I still see him out there now and then but he is so skinny, I hardly recognize him! I thought he had the gastric bypass but he says he didn't!! He has been sick though so I just hope he is taking care of himself, especially now - I'm sure it's a lot of stress getting ready for MM!!!
              Thanks for the quick answer! I never thought of him as fat, just... fluffy. And I hope the sickness was nothing serious. Such a nice man!

Ooh, just now advertised, while watching the KITV 5pm news -- this coming Saturday at 6pm on KITV is The Best Of Merrie Monarch 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Lei, didn't you magically appear on HT one year around MM time? I remember your eloquent discussion of the subject. Please postpone your trip to Sedona!
                You're right, Tutu! I was a lurker for quite some time before actually posting. I saw a thread about MM about two years ago and I just couldn't resist!

My trip to AZ will serve two purposes -- a) to take in the natural beauty of Sedona and the Grand Canyon (I've never been to both) and b) to meet the boy's mom and brother for the first time. I really wanted to go to MM this year, but I knew I just couldn't pull it off. I don't leave til the 9th, so I'll still be able to put in my 5 cents worth!

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                the tourney is in full swing today. The māhū are in full force. The Issue are battling hard (so far undefeated, yay!), which means tomorrow will be a heavy day to see if they make it out of their pool.

Yes, we love us our MM, but there is something ~special~ about Haili.
                I remember you telling us last year that Haili is your favorite time of the year! Glad to know the mahu are in full force again...be sure to give them a "H-EYYYYY" for me.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Hooray! And have you seen Sonny's spot for Kau Inoa? Very well done. Who are the judges this year?

WHOA! Not to rain on this thread, but... parents, protect your children boys.
                Edited that for ya.

I knew my mention of Chinky would evoke that comment! Heh, is it time to bump his thread again?

Don't know who's going to be judging, but the usuals will likely be there -- Auntie Vicky, Frank Hewett, Cy Bridges, one of the Kanakaoles?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                The two kumu have promotion of their new album taking up time these days; no time to train for MM.
                That's right! I know they were just in Japan as well. I imagine Veto and Casupang are just super busy busy these days!

Comment

[...]My trip to AZ will serve two purposes -- a) to take in the natural beauty of Sedona and the Grand Canyon (I've never been to both)
                  I've not been to Sedona but I have visited the GC. Spectacular!
                  and b) to meet the boy's mom and brother for the first time.
                  Whoooooa!!! This is sounding serious!
                  I really wanted to go to MM this year, but I knew I just couldn't pull it off. I don't leave til the 9th, so I'll still be able to put in my 5 cents worth![...]
                  Terrific...I'll look forward to your 5 cents. You now have my permission to go to Sedona!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I've not been to Sedona but I have visited the GC. Spectacular!

Whoooooa!!! This is sounding serious!

Terrific...I'll look forward to your 5 cents. You now have my permission to go to Sedona!
                    Thanks tutu!

The boy will be gone on a weekend training during MM, so I'll be watching it with some of the halau girls. Ironically these girls were not chosen to dance or could not make it to Hilo, so party will include some intense discussion, I'm sure!

Comment

Merrie Monarch travellers from the outer islands, make sure you rebook your Aloha Airlines travel plans to the Big Island!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Merrie Monarch travellers from the outer islands, make sure you rebook your Aloha Airlines travel plans to the Big Island!
                        olana a'i said that she has app. 100 people in her entourage that were flying on aloha for merrie monarch. while i understand aloha's customers' frustration (myself included), think of all the families that will be affected when the app. 3500 employees go on unemployement. so much uncertainty.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                          olana a'i said that she has app. 100 people in her entourage that were flying on aloha for merrie monarch. while i understand aloha's customers' frustration (myself included), think of all the families that will be affected when the app. 3500 employees go on unemployement. so much uncertainty.

I saw that on KHON2 last night. Instead of saying "Good luck at Merrie Monarch," now it's "Good luck getting to Hilo!"

Good luck to all halau getting to Hilo safely this week!

Comment

Someone oughta contact the SuperFerry and get them to do maybe just one run this week, and another after MM is pau.
                            Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Someone oughta contact the SuperFerry and get them to do maybe just one run this week, and another after MM is pau.
                              Problem solved.

i thought about your suggestion. but, will hilo's harbor be able to fascilitate the ferry? when the big island needed help after the 2006 earthquake, did they transfer the national guard's equipment and dock at hilo? inquiring minds want to know.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              reflect, repent and reboot.
                              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Working...
                              X