Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2008

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Bob Jones weighs in (in MidWeek) on the "bad boys" of contemporary hula - specifically, two California-based kumu hula: Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu & Patrick Makuakane.
    Again?! That same thing about Mark and Patrick comes up every year! (By Jones and many others.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Again?! That same thing about Mark and Patrick comes up every year! (By Jones and many others.)
      Yeah - I notice he alluded to Chinky Mahoe's case, too - people keep bringing that up year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Yeah - I notice he alluded to Chinky Mahoe's case, too - people keep bringing that up year after year.
        I'm confused. Are you saying that people complaining about Mark & Patrick's contemporary hula style is somehow comparable to people complaining about Chinky, convicted on multiple counts of child molestation?
        That's a world-class case of "comparing apples and oranges." And I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it that way.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          I'm confused.
          Please note the wink at the end - twas a gentle tease at you, LN, for your comment about people bringing up the same issues - not about the issues themselves. (I figured you'd get it - sorry for the confusion. I may not have been aware of Mr. Mahoe's story, had it not been for you.)

As to the initial comment - yes, the focus on Mr. Makuakane's & Mr. Ho`omalu's styles will likely surface every year around MM time - at least they are getting recognition for the mavericks that they are while they are active; that has not always been the case in artistic endeavors.

Comment

Save The Date

Not really MM related, but eh, it's hula!

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/menofhula/ -- PBS' Independent Lens broadcast premiere of Na Kamalei: Men of Hula, May 6th.

More info about the documentary can be found here: http://www.lehuafilms.com/nakamalei.html
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

This is my first Merrie Monarch. Ever. These women are BEAUTIFUL! And the thing that makes this so great is you can see the work and meaning they put into their hula.

Just wish I understood half of what they are saying and doing.

Comment

That's great, cyleet99! Tell us about the stuff you do understand, and give us your perceptions on the stuff you don't - those of us who can't go love having local eyes and ears to fill us in.

Who knows - maybe seeing such an important event in person will inspire you to dig deeper and learn more. I know that my enjoyment of hula increased dramatically once I began to study it and dance it myself.

Comment

The Miss Aloha Hula competition was FANTASTIC!

I feel for my friend Kapalai, coming 2nd after initially tying with the eventual winner but she is a class act all the way and I am proud of her achievement. They both would have been worthy winners but unfortunately, there can only be one.

I loved Naomi Pi'ilani Klein, the girl from Waimanalo that interpreted the legend of the Mermaid - that was definitely a highlight for me!
                  Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                  My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Does anyone know how tiebreakers are determined?

I do feel for Kapalai'ula. Brings back memories of 2001 when Snowbird lost by one point. Still, a job well done and worthy of praise, indeed!

Somewhere out there, Mary Kawena Pukui is smiling down at her great-granddaughter. She must be proud. Kuhi's kahiko was amazing and very moving, and I could tell that even Aunty Pua got emotional at her auana. WOW.

It was great seeing the MAH at this level. The competition was fierce, and that's what I like!

Be back later after Kahiko fun!

Comment

Re: Merrie Monarch 2008: Kahiko

For the most part, last night's Kahiko performances weren't as spectacular as I've seen in the past. And Kahiko is absolutely my favorite dance style.

My favorite performance happened early in the night by Halau,
                      Na Mea Hula O Kahikinaokalani from Mililani.
                      Oli: Mai Kahiki Ka Wahine O' Pele.
                      Ka'i: Ka Huakai' Pele
                      Mele: Ke Ha'a La Puna I Ke Ahi 'Ena 'Ena
                      Ho'i: 'O Wau No "O Pele

Dedications to Pele are usually intense and dramatic, as was this performance. Gets my vote as best of the night.

Did Johnny Lum Ho's halau perform last night? I missed it if he did.

One thing I can't stand is happy-looking, smiling Kahiko dancers. They need to look scorned and pissed off, like they're going into battle to roll some heads. So does the theme.

One other note: The Hawaiian Airlines banner displayed at center stage reminded me of the death of Aloha Airlines, and brought this feeling of sadness and loss to me. Something was missing. Almost seemed everyone at the event felt the same.
                      Last edited by Pomai; April 5, 2008, 09:07 AM.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love kahiko too!

My highlights (in no order):
                        *Kapua Dalire's wahine recounting the legend of the pueo coming down from the sky to aid a warrior in battle. They wore brown and made owl sounds. I loved it even though I HATE owls (they're bad luck for Maori)
                        *I know he's controversial but I love Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu's style. I enjoyed both his kane and wahine performances last night.
                        *Sonny Ching's halau chanted through their whole dance - not an easy feat but they made it look so easy.
                        *Anytime Natalie A'i Kamau'u is near a microphone it's a highlight for me. I love the strength of her voice.
                        *KE KAI O KAHIKI - O'Brien's men were fierce and they are just so freakin' HOT!!!
                        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

^^^
                          Agree with everything kiwidiva said!

I have to admit, I did miss seeing the men -- especially Kaleo Trinidad's and Halau I Ka Wekiu.

Comment

I did miss seeing the men -- especially Kaleo Trinidad's and Halau I Ka Wekiu.
                            Yes, I missed Kaleo and Snowbird's guys!

I did like the other guys with all the tattoos --- I think they were Kapua's kane? Oooooooowwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeee - there was some fine Polynesian talent on display!!

Comment

Re: Save The Date

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                              Not really MM related, but eh, it's hula!

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/menofhula/ -- PBS' Independent Lens broadcast premiere of Na Kamalei: Men of Hula, May 6th.

More info about the documentary can be found here: http://www.lehuafilms.com/nakamalei.html
                              Just a heads up...this Independent Lens episode is now scheduled for May 8.

Comment

Working...
                              X