Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working from home

Hi everyone,

I have a strange question. Our little family unit just moved here, and we are trying to survived on one income. It's not bad actually, but we fear the time some sort of monetary emergency comes along, like a major car repair, etc ... My wife can't go out to work because she stays home to watch the kid, so she is looking for something to do at home. Where we come from, one can do menail tasks at home, like putting together goggles, or hemming pants, and get paid per piece. Is there anything like that around here? We don't have the right connections yet, so I decided to reach out to the HT community. Thanks much.

ItsGoTime!

Re: Working from home

The only commonplace, formally sanctioned distributed work I've heard of people engaging in Hawaii is medical coding. However, a little ingenuity and a good feel for your neighborhood and friends can take you far.

A guy a few blocks down on Kilauea Ave used to sell ahi poke and fillets at discount prices. He'd purchase whole fish from the auction and do all the prep himself. Quite an impressive setup he had with commercial display reefers, stainless steel tables and a butcher scale in his garage. I used to stop by at least twice a week.

I've done freelance writing, edited research papers and theses, produced mash-up and remixed CDs for promoters and retail and even stocked counterfeit Ocean Club single-use VIP passes (yay, Photoshop!). Cyn used to actually write entire papers from scratch for college students.

Judging by the frequency and persistence of howling, barking and yapping in my neighborhood, there's quite a need for a dog walking/training service around here.

Anyone else have some ideas?
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

To "expound" on the pets scheme, pet sitting is always in need. Medical transcriptionist.................................. .................................................. .......................................Amway.

Comment

pet and house sitting. got to get to know your neighbors first to do that. how about caregiving? babysitting?
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
          Hi everyone,

I have a strange question. Our little family unit just moved here, and we are trying to survived on one income. It's not bad actually, but we fear the time some sort of monetary emergency comes along, like a major car repair, etc ... .
          You have entered the world of having the choice of:
          (1) you taking a second job, which will still allow your wife to stay home with the child, or
          (2) you keep your day job, and your wife takes an evening job, and that way one of you will always be home with the child.
          I applaud you for wanting to find a way to afford living in Hawaii, but while keeping focus on having a parent staying home and raising the kids.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I used to work with many bartenders and servers who would've gladly paid for an alternative laundering/ironing service. Many of them went with dry cleaning rather than deal with the chore themselves. Extra points for reattaching buttons.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
              Cyn used to actually write entire papers from scratch for college students.
              OUCH!!! Maybe we should test the students on the papers they "write"? Back OT - how about tutoring students from your local elementary school or high school? You can sign up at the local school and you wouldn't necessarily have to have a degree to help a student with their homework. This could also help out working parents.

Comment

If you're good with computers and have talent, hardware & software in that area, you can work at home doing:
                • Desktop Publishing & Graphic Design
                • Web Page Design & Maintenance
                • Someone mentioned Medical Transcription
                • Writing & Editing
                • Video Post Production
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                  Cyn used to actually write entire papers from scratch for college students.
                  Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  OUCH!!! Maybe we should test the students on the papers they "write"?
                  To tell the truth, the students I wrote for were mostly wealthy Japanese national types majoring in business at my now-alma mater. Their command of English did not match the language I would use in their lit papers. It should have been obvious to their profs that they had a ghost writer. Unless their story was that they read Milton in Japanese, then wrote a paper in Japanese, and had someone translate it.

Back in the nineties, this was worth $20 a three page paper (more $ for more pages, of course), and I could do as many as three a week.

back OT, i used to see ads touting stuffing envelopes at home but have since heard it was a scam that got the poor fool to send the ad-poster $30. in return, the poor fool was encouraged to place a similar ad in other publications to reel in more poor fools.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Thanks for the help folks. We'll keep on looking, waiting for the right opportunity to come along.

Later.

Comment

Working...
                    X