Hawaii Medical Center East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Medical Center East

There was a little notice in my intranet newsletter at work last week that said Hawaii Medical Center East was reducing its open beds from 240 to 90.
    The rumblings are that HMCE is doing very poorly. I've heard this not only from my old co-workers there but also from more than a few physicians.
    Anyone else hear anything about this?

Re: Hawaii Medical Center East

I haven't heard anything but I am quite concern. As you know, it is where I take MAMA for Emergency as well as where she is hospitalized. This past year, she went through ten surgeries and numerous hospitalizations. All at HMC-East. She received the best of treatment and care from her physicians and the hospital staff. Yes, there were room for improvement. Over all, HMC-East is tops.

As a former employee of the hospital when it was St. Frances, I have faith in the staff as well as it's Directors.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      I haven't heard anything but I am quite concern. As you know, it is where I take MAMA for Emergency as well as where she is hospitalized. This past year, she went through ten surgeries and numerous hospitalizations. All at HMC-East. She received the best of treatment and care from her physicians and the hospital staff. Yes, there were room for improvement. Over all, HMC-East is tops.

As a former employee of the hospital when it was St. Frances, I have faith in the staff as well as it's Directors.

Auntie Lynn
      I know you have quite a history with SFMC/HMCE. I hope they can work through their struggles---there are many wonderful employees there.
      I hope your Mom is doing well, Lynn!

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
        I know you have quite a history with SFMC/HMCE. I hope they can work through their struggles---there are many wonderful employees there.
        I hope your Mom is doing well, Lynn!
        Yes. I pray and hope so.

As for MAMA, she's doing well as expected. She's a strong woman, my MAMA.

Love and ALOHA,

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
          There was a little notice in my intranet newsletter at work last week that said Hawaii Medical Center East was reducing its open beds from 240 to 90.
          The rumblings are that HMCE is doing very poorly. I've heard this not only from my old co-workers there but also from more than a few physicians.
          Anyone else hear anything about this?
          Since the changeover from SFMC to HMC, I haven't heard anything positive at all. Departments have been playing musical chairs as far as hospital location goes. Just look at the Liver Center. Their physicians are rarely ever at HMC-East these days, preferring to work more at other hospitals or at their own practice. They also can't seem to keep their staff there for more than 6 months. The Liver Center is now housed in an area that wasn't really maintained in years. Filthy.

I work for a non-profit that works closely with the Liver Center, and I can't even begin to tell you how many physicians, NPs, PAs, and office staff they've had go in and out since becoming HMC. It's sad. These are all good people who like doing what they do...but they just can't continue doing it with HMC.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I know that they've recently cut back on the number of acute inpatient dialysis beds. Kidney disease is a huge problem in Hawaii, as everyone knows, and I wasn't aware that a hospital could put a "cap" on the number dialysis patients it accepted. I'm talking about patients with other medical problems who happen to also be chronic dialysis patients. I guess I'm so used to working in non-profit hospitals that this comes as rather a surprise to me.
            I realize that chronic patients often become financial burdens for hospitals but it seems somewhat harsh, especially considering that many of these patients have been SFMC for many years.
            Here's an article about it:

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...al/local01.prt

Comment

RUMORS ARE WORST THAN THE ENEMY!

I called HMC-East and spoke with Allison, Assistant to Dr. Canete, CEO of HMC-East.

It is a RUMOR!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Auntie Lynn
                my mom used to work there at St. Francis as an overnight Nurses Aide and in the emergency room graveyard shift back in the 60's and 70's.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

RUMORS ARE WORST THAN THE ENEMY!

I called HMC-East and spoke with Allison, Assistant to Dr. Canete, CEO of HMC-East.

It is a RUMOR!!!

Auntie Lynn
                  Thanks, Lynn. I'll pass that on to the person who circulated the newsletter. I'll also ask her where she got the information. If it's not true it's a terrible thing to pass around as fact.

I'm sorry but it does seem as if they are really having a bit of trouble over there. They've asked for special tax breaks from the State:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...803060319.html
                  Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; March 31, 2008, 11:08 AM.

Comment

on another note: mom is with st. francis hospice program. they no longer use hmc's pharmacy. they use long's.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I work at Hawaii Medical Center East, and here is what we have heard: HMC
                      East has had way more beds than patients for years.

It is looking at ways to more efficiently utilize the extra space. They really have to do that to restore the company's financial security. I don't think any decisions have yet been made as to how this might be accomplished, but I have faith in this company and the good people who work there.

Anyway, the point is the number of beds would not be reduced below the actual demand for them. Also, don't forget any reduction would have to be approved by state regulators. It is all public records, I will go with that than rumors!!

Hey, thanks for the kind words about our hospital and staff! We work very hard everyday to give our patients the very best care and it is nice to hear our efforts are appreciated.

Yes, I have to admit we are working our way though difficult times, but I believe we are making progress and I expect HMC to be around to serve our patients for many years to come.

Comment

Mahalo goldengate for letting us know.

It is a great hospital. One I trust to bring my MAMA to.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                        X