Matzo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matzo

For all those who might be interested the very best matzo available in Hawaii is being sold at Foodland. Yehuda Matzo, direct from Jerusalem. I've been knoshing on them for the past week or so. I LOVE the charred edges, the crispness. One week after opening the box and the contents are STILL crisp. I am really amazed.

No, I am not Jewish but I grew up loving the Jewish traditions, along with whatever other traditions came my way. Gotta love the NY thing. I realize that there may be a limited audience here but what the hey---broaden your horizons a bit. Eat some matzo.

A little info:

http://www.jewishaz.com/jewishnews/050422/matzo.shtml

Re: Matzo

I'm on it! I LOVE matzo! I miss so many foods like that. I'm adopted and my mom is Polish/Jewish/Catholic so we had some funky stuff going on all the time. Happy snacking!

Comment

I just know what Matzo is from a sketch on the tv show Fridays. They had rabbis teaching self defense using Matzo instead of boards or bricks as the target for their karate chops. Their catchphrase after chopping a Matzo in half is to say, "Live and Be Well." Look for a young Michael Richards on the show's cast before he was on Seinfeld.

Comment

Just picked up the last box on the shelf from the Ewa Foodland. It was on sale for $3 and change ($3.70 maybe? I just remember it was almost half off). The charred edges are really nice.

Comment

I looked yesterday in Kailua and there was none

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
            You can order a small suitcase full of them at this site. Shipping will set you back anywhere from about $27 to $47.

http://www.c-els.com/sfc/pc/default....id=21033&qty=1

Comment

Thanks for the info! I don't think I need quite that much! I'll look them up
              when I am on the mainland - there is plenty of that type of foodstuff where
              I am going next month. Thanks again!

Comment

Hrm... I don't think I've ever tried matzo before. But from what I'm seeing I should!
                Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Are there any Kosher restaurants on Oahu? Or any Jewish specialty shops for that matter?

Comment

www.oahukosher.com (but never been there yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                      Are there any Kosher restaurants on Oahu? Or any Jewish specialty shops for that matter?
                      Yes. The name is Yudi's Deli, located on East Manoa Road, next to Boston's Pizza.

I've tried the Falafel platter once, and it was delicious. For $10, you get four Falafel, an Israeli salad (like coleslaw), Babaganoush and Hummus, along with Pita bread, so you eat it like an appetizer. There's easily enough for 2 people.

There's a thread here covering Jewish Cuisine in general. Vanguard, you've posted in that thread, but must have missed the part about Yudi's. Check 'em out.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Thanks, both of you. Hah, I forgot I posted on that thread.

Comment

I saw the mention of latkes on those sites.

Latkes. I could make them with my eyes closed.

Grate the potatoes, squeeze out the excess liquid. Toss in some flour and an egg or two depending on the amount of potatoes and some salt. Grated onion if you want it, none if you don't. Pepper. Do it all quickly before the potatoes turn brown. Everything "to taste." Reminds me of when I asked my Grandmother how long to cook something and she replied "Until it's done." Gotta love the Grandma wisdom in any locale.

Heat the oil. Drop big blobs of the mixture into the oil. Smoosh the center of the blob with the back of the spoon, adjusting smoosh pressure to personal preference. Less smoosh pressure=softer center. More smoosh pressure=crispier latkes. Serve with a big helping of smiles.

Gotta go get me some potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                            Just got back from Foodland in Kailua where I bought two boxes of Yehuda Matzo. There are five or six boxes left.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll go after my PT tomorrow!
                              Shalom!

Comment

Working...
                              X