The sincerest form of flattery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sincerest form of flattery...

Among dozens and dozens of examples of purloined prose at the oahuxyz.com site is this amusing piece of plagiarism, considering the subject matter:

Star-Bulletin version

OahuXYZ version

What makes this theft even more fascinating is the Website owner's disclaimer:

Although, every effort has been made to make all the the information published here as accurate as possible, I accept no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by any person using this publication.

Every material used in this publication is either my property or belongs in the public domain or has been used with the permission of its owner or every effort has been made to contact its owner to obtain permission. If you feel that we've used your material without your permission and you object to it, please, contact us and we'll investigate it promptly.
    If you and/or your property appear in any of my pictures and you object to it, please, contact us and we'll remove it promptly.

Every effort? All of our stories have the email addresses on them.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: The sincerest form of flattery...

wow. i don't think i could find such blatant plagiarism "amusing," as you call it. i'd want to rip his writing hand off, if i were in your position. did you even make a complaint about it to the site's owner?
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      What makes this theft even more fascinating is the Website owner's disclaimer:
      Wow. That's lame, dude

I did notice he used a different font from the SB version. Perhaps that falls under "fair use"?

*smirk*
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

A while back, a column writer friend told me about a service he used called Google Alert (from a company independent from Google). I know very little about it, but for those interested:

http://www.googlealert.com/

It looks like Google themselves are offering something similar:

http://www.google.com/alerts

Basically you take a juicy sentence from your piece and use that as the search/alert term.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

i'm interested in how you found the posting burl.

Comment

Working...
          X