Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jelly's - Honolulu

Originally posted by Nocturnal View Post
    How many incarnations has Jelly's sprung up over the years?

They've had so many shops, opened and closed, it's ridiculous.
    On the contrary: I think the many relocations are an indication of the store's commitment to keeping prices down and its ability to maintain its customer base. Come on: the first location was in a beat-up, old building at Kapiolani and Keeaumoku that came down for the erection of a huge building. Its next location was at 404 Piikoi, which was razed for the erection of another huge building.

There have only really been three incarnations: The original, owned by Sheriff Norm, the one that carried the Jelly's name but was really part of the Cheapo's chain, and the current one, begun when Norm reclaimed the Jelly's name. Many locations along the way, of course, but only three incarnations.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Come on: the first location was in a beat-up, old building at Kapiolani and Keeaumoku that came down for the erection of a huge building. Its next location was at 404 Piikoi, which was razed for the erection of another huge building.
      Was that on purpose to use Keeaumoku and erection in the same sentence?

Comment

Ha! I wish I were that clever.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Was that on purpose to use Keeaumoku and erection in the same sentence?
          LOL

Norm's a cool guy, but my biggest memory of him was when he was telling me something while eating salt crackers. Shrapnel was flying everywhere

The new Jelly's is next to Fisher Hawaii (the warehouse store), if that's any help.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

There is a large banner at the new Jelly's Kakaako store that is signed by many people and gives the locations and incarnations of all the Jelly's stores over the last 25 years. Apparently Jelly's has just recently celebrated its 25th birthday.... I was there this afternoon but did not have my good camera with me to take a decent photo of at least the locations scrawl. The banner is on the wall behind the country and folk music vinyl album bins.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
            X