Jelly's - Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jelly's - Honolulu

Anyone wondered into the new store yet? I dropped by around 8PM after being mistakenly told that they were open 10AM-10PM. They were closed (7PM) but Norm let me wonder around and check the place out. The 10 to 10 hours will be in a few weeks.

The furniture for CDs was from Tower Records. The bookshelves gave me flashbacks of 404 Piikoi. The selection of CDs looked to be aimed at my demographic (centered on 70s - 80s). Quite a few LPs. Close enough to my work place in Kakaako to be a temptation.

Parking is going to be the big issue. I don't think I'd want to go there 10-4:30 on work days.

Re: Jelly's - Honolulu

Jelly's back in Honolulu? Where?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Sheesh. That didn't take long to get a response!

Coral St. Across the street from the Ewa end of Fisher Hawaii. There's no store front to see. Just one of a set of doors along the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

Parking is going to be the big issue. I don't think I'd want to go there 10-4:30 on work days.
        I was cruising around Kakaako the other day looking for this store. I heard they opened in the area after Norm ran ads on KGMZ 107.9 FM oldies. It will be good to have a Jellys again in Honolulu. Other than Rainbow Books & Records I can't think of any other "record" store in Honolulu. The big boxes are the only other places that sell CDs.

As for parking, I guess I'll go there on Sundays since not too many businesses are in operation in that area on the weekend and street parking is free.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          ads on KGMZ 107.9 FM oldies.
          I think that's where I heard them. They were advertising that they were buying. With some follow-up phone calls, I learned when they would open. He's not yet in full operation. The A/C is still being installed. So I don't think he's advertising the new store yet.

Originally posted by mel View Post
          It will be good to have a Jellys again in Honolulu.
          Indeed! I know where Jellys is in Aiea, but I never get out that direction.

The new store isn't as big as the old 404, but it's plenty big enough to give a fix!

Comment

The Jelly's commercials have been playing a lot on KPOI. I'm also happy to see a return to town.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I got so much good vinyl at the old 404 Piikoi St. store. Been to the Aiea one a few times and the one they had off Kapiolani.

The last time I went, there wasn't enough of the Hawaiian I was looking for. Norm and Chris used to just box my stuff up and ship it to me so I didn't have to lug all those albums back to the mainland. Chris (you know she's Frank Orrall's sister from Poi Dog Pondering) used to call me on her own dime when good stuff came in. She'd send it to me and give me the price and I'd send her a check. Then she went back to school but liked being around old vinyl and ecclectic record stores, so she went back to the Aiea store. Don't know if she's still there.

I remember going through the bins of vinyl one day and found a Gabby Pahinui album ... autographed by Pops and the whole band, including Ry Cooder for the big sum of $4. What a bargain that was. Reminds me of old times.

They sure had a motley crew of people working there but they always could sniff out the good Hawaiian stuff for me.

I went to Harry's on Waialae a bit and they had a good selection of old stuff. Are they still there?

Comment

Not hearing any of the radio ads or being to any of their stores latey but besides sellings CD's do they sell games, comics and other magazines?

Comment

I've heard the ads and certainly remember the Piikoi days! I loved going there and buying stuff and just hanging around. I am looking forward to this new
                  location and think a lunch at Hank's Hot Dogs would be a lovely side trip!
                  Glad Jelly's is there!

Comment

Everyone's dropping the 404 Piikoi address, but do you have Jelly's Keeaumoku cred? I bought my first used vinyl there before the store moved to Piikoi.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      do they sell games, comics and other magazines?
                      Well, I saw a Guitar Hero controller hanging in back of the back counter.

I didn't notice any comics or magazines, but that stuff isn't on my radar and they are still building up the store.

One strange thing - when I was there they were setting up 3 A/C units in the door way. Not the evaporator, but the compressor/condenser. That means to get into the store you'll have to walk the hot house gauntlet to get into the store. I guess they couldn't put them on the roof for some reason, and to put them outside would take up parking spaces.

I sure hope they move the 50¢ LPs from that space before they fire them up.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        Everyone's dropping the 404 Piikoi address, but do you have Jelly's Keeaumoku cred? I bought my first used vinyl there before the store moved to Piikoi.
                        I used to park at Froggies, visit awhile and then walk over to Jellys. But that was a small store.

Comment

I think you're talking about when it was over near the Korean night clubs in the early 90s, when Froggies was near Likelike Drive-In. I'm talking about when it was at Keeaumoku and Makaloa, right across Tower, in the early 80s.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            I think you're talking about when it was over near the Korean night clubs in the early 90s, when Froggies was near Likelike Drive-In. I'm talking about when it was at Keeaumoku and Makaloa, right across Tower, in the early 80s.
                            Perhaps Froggies was there before, but I think they later moved in a space near the former Cinerama Theater (currently Checker Auto Parts) on King st., across Jack in the Box.

I absolutely do remember during the 90's HUNGRY EAR RECORDS was located in that space across the street from the former Tower Records on Makaloa and Koreamoku street, where I think you're talking about.

Half of my CD collection at that time was purchased from Hungry Ear Records; their used CDs being on average $2 less than Jelly's ($5-7 each), plus they had a great selection. Plus, there was always a parking stall in front I could swoop into.

Remember when Hot Licks Guitars was located behind that place, in a second floor suite? They had the hottest Charvel Jackson axes there at the time.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              Perhaps Froggies was there before, but I think they later moved in a space near the former Cinerama Theater (currently Checker Auto Parts) on King st., across Jack in the Box.
                              No, that's where it was before it moved to Keeaumoku. It was there from my elementary-school years (at least) and up through high school.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X