StarBucks going normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StarBucks going normal?

Okay so with McDonalds going upscale on their coffee, Starbucks is deciding to go normal by offering an "Everyday Coffee". AND the brew will not sit more than 30-minutes! IT'S ABOUT TIME! Jeez their coffee would sit too long on the burners, burning the brew everytime. They called it robust, I called it burn't coffee. But when you slam the cream you can't tell the difference.

I'm looking forward to this new blend they claim to be robust and nutty. They really need to get away from all that mumbo talk and get real with standard english like small medium and large. And Baristas? Give me a break, just pour me a cup.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: StarBucks going normal?

There's both a Starbucks and a McDonalds in my condo building. Their entrances are just a few feet from each other. I've often wondered how each impacts the others business.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      There's both a Starbucks and a McDonalds in my condo building. Their entrances are just a few feet from each other. I've often wondered how each impacts the others business.
      There will definately be a greater impact with both hitting on each other's turf.

Someone should come out with a coffee company that focuses on what kind of imported water is used in the brewing process.

Imagine 100% Kona brewed in that Deep sea water and sold as an iced coffee. You'd capture two distinct eclectic markets wrapped into one overly eclectic product that can be packaged and distributed worldwide for a pretty penny!

Bottled Hawaiian Kona Deep sea Iced Coffee. I wonder how that would go in countries like Japan where anything "Hawaii" and coffee are instant sellers.
      Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 7, 2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        There will definately be a greater impact with both hitting on each other's turf.

Someone should come out with a coffee company that focuses on what kind of imported water is used in the brewing process.

Imagine 100% Kona brewed in that Deep sea water and sold as an iced coffee. You'd capture two distinct eclectic markets wrapped into one overly eclectic product that can be packaged and distributed worldwide for a pretty penny!

Bottled Hawaiian Kona Deep sea Iced Coffee. I wonder how that would go in countries like Japan where anything "Hawaii" and coffee are instant sellers.
        i did a little stint at dunkin donuts. if i remember correctly, they didn't keep the coffee on the burners for more than 15 minutes. burnt coffee--yuck!

"Someone should come out with a coffee company that focuses on what kind of imported water is used in the brewing process." would it be called "McBucks"? lol.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

After that brainstorm, I called a friend of mine who grows his own coffee here on the Big Island and sells it. He has a friend at the Kona Deep water plant and is looking at a business venture to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            After that brainstorm, I called a friend of mine who grows his own coffee here on the Big Island and sells it. He has a friend at the Kona Deep water plant and is looking at a business venture to do just that.

wasn't there a post about all the whale/fish poop in the ocean?
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Any afficianado of coffee will tell you that the beans are important, but so is the quality of the water used to brew them.

Starbucks' regular coffee tastes like any other coffee shop's to me. I usually got to Starbucks for the black tea lemonade :P
              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                Any afficianado of coffee will tell you that the beans are important, but so is the quality of the water used to brew them.

Starbucks' regular coffee tastes like any other coffee shop's to me. I usually got to Starbucks for the black tea lemonade :P
                meh. that's exactly why we only starbucks in case of extreme emergency (meaning, we're in an airport, we're tired as hell, need only just enough energy to make it thru security & getting to our seats on the plane, & no other coffee is available).

otherwise, our routine includes whole beans from stumptown coffee, ground in our burr grinder (not the blade type that burns the coffee--blyeah!), plus water from tap but run thru the pur filter, & a french press. what we get for cents a day at home has waaay better flavor than anything we've paid $3 for at starbucks. how many of us treat ourselves (as we deserve) to the lovely experience of having coffee with nuanced with blackberry, tobacco and leather notes or coffee laced with lime, cantaloupe, kiwi, bergamot & lemon shortbread??!!

yep. i'm totally a coffee snob. but at least i make it myself. i don't have to traipse to a storefront to have some teenaged "barista" use a damn pod to make a "venti skinny double shot latte with splash, not shot, of sugar-free hazelnut" for her. 'course, i'm the same kinda girl who will order a maker's & coke or a stoli pres versus a godforsaken cosmo or razztini any day. i guess cause, in the same way i feel that if you're gonna drink alcohol, drink alcohol, then! don't drink some apple flavored confection that hides the taste of the alcohol! similarly, if you're gonna drink coffee, why the hell are you prancing around with a cinnamon dolce frappucino? here's a little word origin for ya - frappucino, from frappe = milkshake, & cappuccino, an espresso & milk drink supposedly invented by a capuchin monk; therefore frappuccino = flavored-coffee-flavored milkshakes..and then topping them with a mound of whipped cream??!! hello??!! i thought the point was to have coffee! not sugar and milk with a touch of coffee that's been flavored with some non-coffee flavor like mint or gingerbread or pumpkin spice!

*takes a deep breath*

the truth is, like dyasu, i'm one of those irritating folk who mostly walk into a starbucks to order something totally not coffee-related: a tazo refresh tea and maybe a lemon bar.

back OT, i'm glad i've never had the experience of walking into a starbucks in the morning to be slapped in the face with that egg mcmuffin smell. thank goodness they're getting rid of the sandwiches. duh! if i wanted an egg mcmuffin, starbucks aint where i'd go. but i guess the point is i don't even go to starbucks for coffee anyway. in fact, consumer reports favors the clown to the mermaid in a coffee taste test.

ooh! if you think i have something against starbucks, you've never looked here. these guys cannot make it more clear that they think starbucks burns the beans during the roasting process (that's the real source of the burnt taste, mr. watanabe), and that howard scultz is a general tool.

(oops...gonna get small kine scoldings from eric about my superciliously toned posts again... sorry--i just know what i like, that's all! the part that is really gonna get me scoldings is i'm using HT to avoid homework! )
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

It's no fun to walk into Starbucks for a small black coffee. Seattle's Best, McDonald's, & DD don't seem to have that translation problem.

I've drunk so many muddy beverages disguised as "coffee" at so many weird times & places that I doubt I could pass a blind taste test of any random half-dozen brands or water sources or coffeepots.

I still remember, though, that the seventh cup tastes kinda funny if it's been sitting in the engineroom pot all night long...
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    wasn't there a post about all the whale/fish poop in the ocean?
                    That's what gives it the flavor.

Remember, it's natural and organic.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      in fact, consumer reports favors the clown to the mermaid in a coffee taste test.

ooh! if you think i have something against starbucks, you've never looked here. these guys cannot make it more clear that they think starbucks burns the beans during the roasting process (that's the real source of the burnt taste, mr. watanabe), and that howard scultz is a general tool.
                      So it wasn't just me that thought SB tasted that bad. And Cyn thanks for that update on the origin of their burn't offerings

But to burn the beans is far worse than to let the coffee sit on a burner too long. That means no matter how careful you are, the end result is bad from the initial brew to the diluted sludge at the end of the day.

Comment

Thanks for the blog links, Cyn. What's amazing to me is that people spend time blogging about a cup of coffee! Do they have that much discretionary time on their hands? Oh...wait...I have over 5600 posts on HT. I need to get a life, too!

So, did anyone manage to get to Starbuck's early enough for the free cup of java? Crowded? Taste? Inquiring, but coffeeless, minds wanna know!

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                          they think starbucks burns the beans during the roasting process (that's the real source of the burnt taste, mr. watanabe)
                          I am not a coffee drinker (gasp! - sacrilege to live in Seattle and admit that!), but I've heard that same comment repeatedly from a number of sources - Starbucks roasts their beans too long, and it causes that burnt taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            I am not a coffee drinker (gasp! - sacrilege to live in Seattle and admit that!), but I've heard that same comment repeatedly from a number of sources - Starbucks roasts their beans too long, and it causes that burnt taste.
                            What's really insane is that an entire generation of coffee drinkers believed they were drinking great coffee all the while they were drinking burn't coffee but couldn't tell the difference. Man I feel so vindicated...Thank you Cyn!

Comment

People actually go to Starbucks to drink the coffee?

I initially thought of SB as a passable informal group study hall and, um, bird watching area. Then I found it a great place to meet clients because of it's garish ubiquity. Now I see the collective as just so many poisonous toadstools blighting the cityscape; offering me nothing I'd consider gastronomically or aesthetically pleasing.

For those Downtown warriors who don't want to fiddle with brewing their own, I would humbly suggest Peet's Coffee & Tea inside Great Harvest on Merchant. Peet's consistently brews up the best cup of joe outside our kitchen and I would highly recommend pairing one with one of Great Harvest's excellent cookies or scones. But don't take my word for it, check out what Coffee Review had to say about Peete's:
                              Overall Rating: 90 points

An almost impossibly sweet, smooth dark roast, cleanly roasty, without bitterness. Complex but almost subliminal hints of meaty fruit, apricot perhaps, with patience suggest chocolate.
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                              X