Big & Small Business Memories - Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big & Small Business Memories - Chapter 2

funny me and my wife have been contemplating what used to be on the islands. We'll remember pearlridge phase I and II. We kinda reminsced about those good ole years, when we were discussing what used to be in phase I; I kinda commented that Indian Imports used to be there... any body agree with me?? We remembered when we left that I think they called it Uptown and Downtown. That's the last i remembered since 2004.

Re: remembering hawaii the gold ole days.

I remember "India Imports" in Ala Moana.
    Got all kinds of posters and stuff there.

They may have moved to Pearl Ridge though.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The good old days were those days prior to the large influx of transplants moving here from the Continental United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        The good old days were those days prior to the large influx of transplants moving here from the Continental United States.
        Would that be the mid- to late-1800s?

Comment

The good ol' days are now.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            The good ol' days are now.
            Almost - these are the good NEW days. They don't replace the old, but stand alongside them.

Comment

...and what the heck are gold old days?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

...and what the heck are gold old days?
                Actually, he called them the "gold ole days." In the late 1800s, successful Mexican bullfighters were rewarded with gold jewelry, so that era was known as the Gold Olé Days.

Comment

I would imagine the good old days would be anyone's rememberance of a time before the current days...hmmmm...duh.

The good old days of Pearlridge Phase I and II? Hmmm coming from East Honolulu, I can't recall them days there except when they finished building Phase I and called it Pearlridge despite it being in Aiea or something like that.

I loved listening to Mike Buck talk about the old days in East Honolulu. We both grew up in that area but in different times. I was born and lived in East Honolulu at a time when the pig farms were being transformed into subdivisions in Waialae Nui valley and when Kahala mall was called the Waialae Shopping center and Ala Moana Shopping center was the worlds largest one of it's kind. Before the Waialae overpass was built and Hawaii Kai was just another subdivision and Kalihi was a safe town to walk around at night.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    I would imagine the good old days would be anyone's remembrance of a time before the current days...
                    That's what I meant when I said the good ol' days are now. We'll look back later and think things were better in 2008 than in 2028.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That's what I meant when I said the good ol' days are now. We'll look back later and think things were better in 2008 than in 2028.
                      Oh man then the good old days for us is HT? Now that will be fond memories when I'm sitting at McDonalds sipping on my Senior coffee.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiian_pride View Post
                        funny me and my wife have been contemplating what used to be on the islands. We'll remember pearlridge phase I and II. We kinda reminsced about those good ole years, when we were discussing what used to be in phase I; I kinda commented that Indian Imports used to be there... any body agree with me?? We remembered when we left that I think they called it Uptown and Downtown. That's the last i remembered since 2004.
                        ===================
                        When Holiday Mart WAS Holiday Mart

When you could get a zig-zag with your Slurpee at 7-11

Comment

Which 7-Eleven is that? It looks strangely like the late seventies, but I thought the first 7-Eleven store in Hawaii came along in the eighties. Please correct my memory!

Also, Holiday Mart sucked. People who look back fondly on it don't seem to remember that it was dingy and kind of depressing.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The "golde ole" days in Hawaii is just about anything from before 2001 I guess, and the farther back in my life they go, the "golder" they may have been. Of course I like all of the tech and convenience that has brought us today, so that aside, here is a list of stuff that I liked from long ago.
                            • KKUA Radio @ 690 on the dial - top 40 HNL to Big Island
                            • American Top 40 with Casey Kasem on KPOI, KKUA, KMVI and KPUA.
                            • KPOI 1380 radio top 40 hits
                            • KPUA Weekly Top 21 in Hilo with J.K.
                            • Only 3 radio stations in Hilo - All AM - KHLO, KPUA, KIPA
                            • Aku on KGMB Radio - and Aku news on KPUA and KMVI
                            • Tom "Dynamite" Dancer on KORL radio
                            • Hawaii Five-0 on CBS / KGMB TV
                            • Checkers & Pogo on KGMB TV
                            • Captain Honolulu on KHVH TV
                            • Only 4 TV channels on the Big Island, all free
                            • No FM radio on the Big island until late 1970s
                            • No telemarketers, no junk faxes, no email spam
                            • No internet, no computers, hahahaha!
                            • Many BBS computers in the 1980s and early 1990s
                            • Kress Store Downtown Hilo
                            • Woolworth Ala Moana
                            • When Ala Moana Shopping Center was not an upscale tourist trap
                            • Woolworth in Downtown Hilo
                            • Kaiko'o Hilo Mall
                            • Tex Drive In Malasadas for 10¢ each or $1 a dozen
                            • Hamakua Fountain and "ice shave" 10¢
                            • Peoples' Theater Honokaa
                            • Star Wars in 6-channel Dolby Sound @ the Cinerama Theater
                            • The Cinerama Theater
                            • The Waikiki 1, 2, & 3 Theaters
                            • Holiday Mart, Daiei - loved em all
                            • Jelly's @ 404 Piikoi St. - big sidewalk sales 7 LPs for $1
                            • Radio Free Hawaii
                            • Tower Records
                            • DJs Sound City
                            • Froggies'
                            • Project 3 LTD in Hilo
                            • Bob Sevey, Tim Tindall and Joe Moore on KGMB TV News
                            • Star Trek reruns daily on KGMB TV
                            • Live UH Rainbow Basketball on KGMB during "Fabulous 5" era
                            • University of Hawaii Football team wins Holiday Bowl
                            • Hawaiian Airlines DC-9 flights to Waimea-Kohala Airport
                            • Hawaiian Airlines Convair 640 prop planes
                            • Hawaiian Airlines Dash 7, Shorts 330 prop planes - rode them all
                            • $19 coupons from Mid Pacific Air - YS11 prop planes baby!
                            • $9 flights on Go! Airlines, fare War
                            • Flying interisland using pre-paid coupons, no change fees!
                            • Aloha Airlines
                            • Aloha Airlines Boeing 737-400 - yes they flew these interisland!
                            • Disovery Air, Mahalo Airlines, Royal Hawaiian Airlines
                            • Kukuiau Ranch on the Big Island of Hawaii
                            • Watching Halemaumau eruption in 1968 - lava lake
                            • Hiking to see Mauna Ulu eruption in 1974
                            • Mauna Loa eruption 1975, 1984
                            • 6.25 earthquake in 1973
                            • Total solar eclipse went bust in 1991 @ Waikoloa when clouds cover totality!!!! arrrgh!!!
                            • 25¢ adult fares on The Bus
                            • Gasoline at less than a dollar per gallon
                            • $1.59 per gallon gas price

I'm sure there are a lot more I can think about. Perhaps these will jog your mind.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Which 7-Eleven is that? It looks strangely like the late seventies, but I thought the first 7-Eleven store in Hawaii came along in the eighties. Please correct my memory!

Also, Holiday Mart sucked. People who look back fondly on it don't seem to remember that it was dingy and kind of depressing.
                              ========================

Isn't this thread in the wrong place?

I am not sure where this 7-11 is but my initial feeling is Piikoi at Kinau. Both photos are circa late 1979. Here is an outside shot.

As for Holiday Mart, I do not remember it being so bad. The Kaheka street store seemed ok to me. Back then, it was Holiday Mart or GEM if you needed hamburger, buns, cabbage, a pair of shorts, a Lorretta Lynn album, oil and filter and you did not want to go to 4 different stores to get them.

Comment

Working...
                              X