Big & Small Business Memories - Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big & Small Business Memories - Chapter 2

So the 7-11 in Waialae was the first in Hawaii? Interesting.

First one I can remember was the one in Nuuanu, right across from Kawananakoa Inter. School. I don't remember the exact opening date, but it was definitely no later than 1980. That particular one had 7-11's corporate office upstairs.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: remembering hawaii the gold ole days.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      The sad part is that all the cars now days look all the same.
      Wanna know what I think? It's because the traffic is getting worse. Ergo, people are spending more time on the roads, esp. families who are shuttling kids around to school, soccer practice, piano lessons, whereva.

More time on the road means the kids today get more bored and restless than in previous generations. To keep their kids occupied, parents have been purchasing larger vehicles to carry around more junk like toys, books, and electronic games. And so it goes;

Minivans > station wagons

SUVs > sedans

At least, that's my theory.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Oh man Kakesako Jewlers is closing. My dad bought my first watch from that place when I was 12-years old. Too bad another small business going the wayside.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I was driving on School Street past the Hungry Lion and noticed that the windows at Stanley Ito Florist are papered. Anyone know the deal?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think the new Stanley Ito Florist has been relocated to the building that was re-habbed a block east or so of Hungry Lion.

I noticed the Jack in the Box across from the Cinerama is now closed, not sure if this is for renovations or permanent.

Aj

Comment

Anyone here remember the Skyslide?

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                I have very vague memories of the SkySlide, except that the slide used shag rugs to slide down on, and that it was a part of Gibson's in Mapunapuna. But I do (vaguely) remember sliding down it!

According to the Companies We Keep, it began in 1966 when three local business men converted their Family Fair store in Mapunapuna into Gibson's, which at the time was a 250-store national chain. This was an attempt to improve their buying power, which would allow them to lower prices on goods 10-15% less than the competition here in Hawaii.

Texas-based H.G. Gibson Sr.'s Gibson's empire eventually crumbled, and the only stores remaining today are in the Majuro Islands.
                Last edited by Pomai; May 8, 2008, 02:33 PM.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                  I remember the yellow one next to Gibson's. I think there was a blue one somewhere, but I never went to that one.
                  "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

The blue one was in Waipahu near Sunset Drive-In.

It was near where the Checkers and the car dealerships are now. I grew up in Waipahu, so that's the one I used to go to. I don't think I ever went to the one next to Gibsons.

Comment

yep. the blue one in waipahu. we used to go there, too.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I remember that blue one too. I got one nasty burn on my arm going down that slide. It so traumatized me that to this date I wince when I see my kids go down those fiberglass slides at the parks.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The original skyslide was rainbow colored. Then they repainted it all orange.

Can't remember which one was in Waipahu and which was in Mapunapuna - the orange one or the sky blue with red pinstripes on the raised grooves.

I got burns my first time on it too. Ankles too close to the side once, and another time leaned back and burned elbows.

Comment

Hungry Lion will be closing, replaced by Walgreens and saw on the news tonight the Aina Haina Shopping Center will have a major facelift. McDonalds has been given the option to demolish the building and re-build or go elsewhere. That is the oldest McDonalds in the state of Hawaii correct? Has the structure changed many times since the 60's or is it the same as its always been.

Aj

Comment

At first when i read your post, i thought, hey, great, we could use a store like that in the neighborhood, as it's difficult to rely on the two 7-11's for food and sundrie options. But i was wrong to think they'd occupy that little Hungry Lion space.. No, it seems they are going to tear down the entire shopping plaza and rebuild.

I like going to Huckleberry's, and Aloha Sushi and Subway. I wonder if the chinese kitchen will be going away. Or the Thai place or the Korean place.. that 24 hour laundromat? Not much details on what is going apart from that "upper" wing from Subway to Hungry Lion..
                              n'importe

Comment

Re: remembering hawaii the gold ole days.

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                I remember "India Imports" in Ala Moana.
                                Got all kinds of posters and stuff there.

They may have moved to Pearl Ridge though.
                                They had an India Imports in Pearlridge too but it went the same time as the Ala Moana store back in the 80s.

Comment

Working...
                                X