Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Channel's "New" Radio Free Hawaii

“Radio Free Hawaii” Coming Back as a Clear Channel Brand

Erika Engle reports in her Buzz column that Clear Channel radio is ressurrecting the “Radio Free Hawaii” brand with a new HD broadcast of the format.

Radio Free Hawaii coming back, in HD

Radio Free Hawaii, which prided itself as the island’s anti-corporate radio station in the 1990s, is being resurrected — by the ultimate corporate radio entity.

The seven-station cluster owned by Texas-based Clear Channel Communications Inc., will launch its Radio Free Hawaii format May 24 on 101.9-2, which requires an HD radio to hear.
    It remains to be seen whether or not Clear Channel and their programmers can keep the brand true to its original format. As stated in the article, the station will never be the same without the presence of the original format’s founder, Norm Winter of Jelly’s Books and Records.

It also remains to be seen whether or not this will contribute to the growth of HD broadcasting and set ownership in Hawaii. The entry price for an average HD radio is around $200, which is quite steep if Clear Channel wants to go for a young demographic. Young people also prefer to listen to and program their own music on an iPod, so that should also be considered competition.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Radio Free Hawaii to be Resurrected

I work for Clear Channel and I hadn't heard of it until now. Should be interesting...

Comment

The current 101.9-2 station "RockHard Hawaii" is streamed on the internet, so it's likley that the New RFH will be as well.

Quite honestly the RFH idea was cute back in the early 90's when it started, but in the era of i-Pods and net based stations seems to be just another gimmick from Clear Channel.

Comment

I've been hearing the promos on KSSK -- the way they're hawking HD radio (and the sale of HD radios), they make it sound like RFH is already back on the air. A bit disingenuous, if you ask me.

Comment

Yeah, I heard the HD ad as well. I know some people liked it, but to me it was too "all over the map" when it came to music. At least KTUH has a schedule on when you can expect what.

Comment

KSSK has been running ads for HD radios for a couple years

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              The entry price for an average HD radio is around $200
              Check out the Radiosophy HD100 - cheap plastic casing, not the sleekest design available, but works fine and with a failure rate far lower than any of the other four or five models we've used, and it's at $100 (sometimes available at $80).
              Originally posted by Ninja View Post
              seems to be just another gimmick from Clear Channel.
              That's what I was thinking, too. I hope someone here on HT will be able to tune in and report back as to whether or not it sound good this time around.

Comment

Re: Clear Channel's "New" Radio Free Hawaii

FYI: Clear Channel's "New" Radio Free Hawaii hit the airwaves at 9:AM this morning. Kathy with a K, one of the original RFH jocks started the broadcast this morning by playing 3 hours of music that was voted into rotation by those who filled out electronic ballots at the new RFH (Ning) website.

After that the station went to an automated music program which it has been playing for the rest of the day and presumably for the remainder of the week at least. The only thing that reminds you that it is a Radio Free Hawaii are the occasional voting and website reminders and station ID. Other than that, so far its all music (mostly rock/alternative) and no personality.

The station is at 101.9-2 HD which is the 2nd part of KUCD's HD stream. At BestBuy this afternoon I tried tuning in to 101.9-2 with one of the HD sets there and got nothing. Clear Channel's other HD stations were broadcasting just fine in HD. (93.9-1, 93.9-2, 98.5-1, 98.5-2)

The new RFH is also streaming on the net at this URL:

http://tinyurl.com/6ou8jy
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks, Mel. I’ll be listening on the web, since I refuse to pay for HD.

Thinking back to those days... I remember Mohammed, the Bangladeshi guy who would stir the pot with his antics and his political mini-sermons that were absolutely hysterical! I was really sad when Radio Free came to an end and I no longer could listen to him. Aside from one or two friends of mine who have tried to put together similar shows at KTUH, this is program sorely lacking a voice much less a venue, here in Hawai‘i.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    FYI: Clear Channel's "New" Radio Free Hawaii hit the airwaves at 9:AM this morning. Kathy with a K, one of the original RFH jocks started the broadcast this morning by playing 3 hours of music that was voted into rotation by those who filled out electronic ballots at the new RFH (Ning) website.

After that the station went to an automated music program which it has been playing for the rest of the day and presumably for the remainder of the week at least. The only thing that reminds you that it is a Radio Free Hawaii are the occasional voting and website reminders and station ID. Other than that, so far its all music (mostly rock/alternative) and no personality.

The station is at 101.9-2 HD which is the 2nd part of KUCD's HD stream. At BestBuy this afternoon I tried tuning in to 101.9-2 with one of the HD sets there and got nothing. Clear Channel's other HD stations were broadcasting just fine in HD. (93.9-1, 93.9-2, 98.5-1, 98.5-2)

The new RFH is also streaming on the net at this URL:

http://tinyurl.com/6ou8jy
                    Their internet stream has been down for quite a while, anyone know why?
                    I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Radio Free Hawaii is gone from KUCD 101.9 HD2. Rock Nation takes its place. I recently purchased an HD radio and that's how I found out. Radio Free Hawaii was mostly a rock format with an occasional rap/hip hop song.

Comment

Got it, thanks.
                        I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

Working...
                        X