Randy Pausch's "last lecture"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy Pausch's "last lecture"

i'm a sucker for stories about people who are faced with a huge challenge and who graciously and courageously deal with it. i apologize if someone's already posted this story; if this is new to you, you can read about it and watch it here:

http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008...sch/index.html
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: Randy Pausch's "last lecture"

If you're interested, this is Pausch's website where he posts periodic updates on how he's doing

http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/news/index.html

Comment

I like the story where he pours the drink on his new car, to make a point to his nephews that people are more important than things. I bet the nephew's self esteem was protected when he later threw up in his uncle's new car.

I hope I don't need a tragedy in my life to spur myself to living it better.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
        If you're interested, this is Pausch's website where he posts periodic updates on how he's doing

http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/news/index.html
        thanks for the tip; i didn't know about it!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcYv5x6gZTA

Pausch speaking at Carnegie-Mellon's graduation

Comment

Professor Pausch died today.

http://www.cmu.edu/news/archive/2008...5_pausch.shtml

Comment

I saw the headlines all over this morning and was so bummed to hear he died.

He was an inspiring man, and I hope his legacy lives on for a very long time.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

he was an inspiration to many.

ditto to lei liko's post.
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

At the height of the books release and huge media coverage he became well known and representing millions of men that has and lost their battle with what Randy had.

Sad to hear his passing when I saw it on Yahoo......

Was nice to know him

Comment

This news completely breaks my heart. I've been following his blog (linked by Adri, above); his last entry was June 28. He was still hopeful altho', for those keeping score at home, his cancer marker test continued to climb. I just tried logging on to see if anything had been added but it appears there are too many people trying to do the same thing.

RIP, Randy, and may your family find solace and healing in how you lived your life.

Comment

I haven't made it into his site, either. I agree, I think a lot of people are trying to view his page right now. But I read that a colleague of his did post a message there.

Comment

I just got thru to the link you posted above in #2, Adri. That's his blog. Randy's last, personal entry was June 26, not 28 as I stated previously. A friend made an update yesterday (7/24) that Randy had deteriorated since last week and was under hospice care. There was one more update, posted today.

So sad. God's gain.

Comment

i was sad to hear the news. what a guy. what a great attitude towards life!

thanks to the web and his book, i hope his message will continue to open the eyes of many more people....

Comment

I didn't see Randy Pausch's last lecture. But, I watched former basketball coach Jimmy Valvano's last speech. I see that speech yearly, and always have tears streaming down my face. His sense of humor and optimism in the face of the inevitable death is an inspiration for life.
                            Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 27, 2008, 12:38 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              I didn't see Randy Pausch's last lecture. But, I watched former basketball coach Jimmy Valvano's last speech. I see that speech yearly, and always have tears streaming down my face. His sense of humor and optimism in the face of the inevitable death is an inspiration for life.
                              Pausch felt the same way as you and, in his blog (see post #2 above...then scroll down to just below Jan. 15), linked to Valvano's speech.

Comment

Working...
                              X