Muxtape: Share Tunage Like in High School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Muxtape: Share Tunage Like in High School

Mine's ready to go. Would you folks rather just post the links and let the song lists speak for themselves, or would you rather each of us post a few notes about the songs?

Either way, I'm eager to hear others' lists! It's not too late to jump in, you other folks.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Only one song so far. MP3 requirement slows me down greatly. All my stuff is AAC, with few MP3. Gotta convert first.

http://zztype.muxtape.com/

B
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

OK, I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to post all of my songs.

http://macpro.muxtape.com

Most of the songs are well known and all of them are old. Here's the playlist:

1. Summer Sun - Jamestown Massacre - I chose this song because I first heard it in the summer of 1972 and thought it was Chicago. Upbeat and brassy this is a good song to start any mix.

2. Island Woman - Pablo Cruise - This record came out in 1975 and was not a very big hit. Every time I hear this I get visions of a pretty woman standing or walking along a beach during sunset. This is a good rock song with a tropical feel.

3. Pi'i Mai Ka Nalu - Robi Kahakalau with Bu'a La'ia - Everyone in Hawaii is familiar with this song from the 1990s... this features the unlikely pairing of Sistah Robi with comic Bu'a La'ia... and it works. Don't understand all the lyrics, but I think this is one of the perfect surfing songs done by a local artist. Surfing and summer do go hand in hand, even though the sport is year round.

4. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison - from when I was a kid I had visions of "slipping and sliding all along a waterfall with you..." Yeah right. This is the original hit version that has been redone several times over the years by a variety of local artists.

5. Bermuda - Linda Scott - This is a real old one from the early 1960s that I never heard until about 2004 on Norm Winter's "Long Lost Oldies" radio show. I won the entire Linda Scott greatest hits CD from Winter in some kind of music trivia contest. This song just smells tropics and summer... I love the calypso sound to this and for some reason think that this song may have been a good one to use in the old 1964 movie Night of the Iguana (though the story doesn't take place in Bermuda).

6. Summer Lady - Cecilio & Kapono - What's a summer mix without a C & K song. From 1975's Elua album, this is one of my favorites. I first heard of C & K in the summer of 1974 when their first Columbia album came out.

7. Margaritaville - Alan Jackson with Jimmy Buffett - I think Mr. Buffett's music and life revolve entirely around the summer season and all things tropical. This is an interesting update on a venerable classic.

8. Walking on Sunshine - Katrina & the Waves - This is a great pop and rock song from 1985 that is just plain upbeat and bubbles with sunshine!!!!

9. Hot Fun in the Summertime - Sly & the Family Stone - This was a big hit around 1970 and just kicks back and tells you, "summer".

10. Hurricane - Kalapana - This song is about a woman but they're just like hurricanes... feisty, dangerous and sometimes unpredictable. Summer is not perfect because we all live with caution during the hurricane season. This is one of those Kalapana songs that used to be popular (in 1986) that you rarely ever hear these days.

11. Sausalito Summernight - Diesel - Hey this is a good rock n roll song with a great guitar riff. I never been to Sausalito but did spend part of one summer in 1980 in San Bernardino. Have no idea if the 2 places are similar except that they are in California.

12. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams - From his stellar 1984 Reckless album this is a great rock anthem to a summer season long, long ago. I was only a kid in 1969 and I certainly did not go to Woodstock or any other summer festival that year. Back then the big event for me was watching fuzzy black and white TV pictures of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

And there you have it my summer music mix for better or worse.
        Last edited by mel; June 9, 2008, 02:51 AM. Reason: fix typos
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Okay. Here's my Summer Songs list. Check it out at 2scrivener.muxtape.com.

1. Vanessa-Mae: Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, "Summer," third movement. 1999.
          2. Billy Joel: "Summer, Highland Falls" (live). 1976. This performance December 1977. Probably my favorite Joel song; it makes me sad to listen to it, but it makes me happy to sing it.
          3. Bruce Springsteen: "Girls in Their Summer Clothes." 2007. From Bruce's excellent album last year; this is the best track.
          4. John Fogerty: "Summer of Love." 2007. I'm not a fan of John Fogerty's behavior, but his album from last year is quite good.
          5. Mark Knopfler: "A Night in Summer Long Ago" (live). 1996. This performance May 1996. I can't remember where I got this concert recording, but it's such a sweet song. Originally from Knopfler's first solo album.
          6. Spock's Beard: "June." 1997. My favorite American prog rock band, mellowed down here.
          7. Jenny Owen Youngs: "Hot in Herre." Originally recorded by Nelly, 2002. This recording 2007 (I think). This is one of the BEST covers I've ever heard. Youngs doesn't just make fun of this easily-made-fun-of song. She takes ownership of it. At first, I just laughed at it; then I heard all the ways she claims it, and she just does a killer job of parodying AND respecting the song.
          8. Alice Cooper: "School's Out" (live). 1972. This performance 2005. Alice needs to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
          9. The Innocence Mission: "Once Upon a Summertime." 2004. Most people I know find Karen Peris's voice annoying. I think it's lovely. This is from an album of lullabies the group recorded, an idea I love.
          10. Bob Dylan: "In the Summertime." 1981. From his most underrated album, Shot of Love. This album just ROCKS.
          11. Kirsty MacColl: "Last Day of Summer." 1993. I had heard of Kirsty but never turned on to her until I heard of her death in 2000. The critics' love for her was warranted.
          12. Michael McDermott: "Summer Days." 1996. Another favorite.
          Last edited by scrivener; June 9, 2008, 06:52 AM. Reason: "no more pencils; no more books; no more teachers' dirty looks..."
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            6. Summer Lady - Cecilio & Kapono
            I came sooo close to putting this song on mine, too! I would have, if the list had been 15 songs long. I have the Cecilio solo recording of this. It's not as good, but of course it's worth hearing.

Listening to your tape now.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Wow Scrivener, I liked nearly all of the songs in your Summer mix. The thing is playing through the 2nd time now but I need to leave soon so listen /comment more later today.

"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" was on my short list and so was "School's Out".

Is Alice Cooper still making music and touring today or is it just golf and radio for the guy these days?

Innocence Mission, I have their first album and totally lost track of them. Their CDs have been kind of hard to find and because of that they have been largely off my radar map.

Blaine, Kalei, others... we're looking forward to your mixes.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Commenting on Mel's songs as I listen to them:

1. Summer Sun - Jamestown Massacre
                I've never heard this, but the voice is super familiar. The vocals sound like the guy who sings on Chicago's "Does Anybody Know What Time it Is?" I love this upbeat groove. I may have to check this group out.

2. Island Woman - Pablo Cruise
                I'm familiar with this band, but hadn't heard this song either. It's okay. I like the arrangement a lot, but the song fails to do anything to me. Did you know the band is together and touring with three of its original four members?

3. Pi'i Mai Ka Nalu - Robi Kahakalau with Bu'a La'ia
                Bu La'ia was super super super super funny for one very good year. This song is fun, and how could anyone ever get tired of Robi's voice?

4. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
                Great, great song. Morrison always manages to be interesting. I was sure I had ten covers of this song in my iTunes, but none of them are on this computer. I do have fourteen recordings of "Into the Mystic," though.

5. Bermuda - Linda Scott
                This didn't do it for me; I'm not sure why. Nothing really stands out for me.

6. Summer Lady - Cecilio & Kapono
                When I was in high school, we used to be allowed to bring our boomboxes on class outings, and there would always be these boombox wars on our school buses. During my junior year, we worked out a system where everyone with a boombox would get to play one song for the whole bus to hear, and we'd all take turns that way. The group I hung out with was into prog, which often features songs in the fifteen- to twenty-minute range. We tried to get away with playing "one song," Yes's "The Gates of Delirium" (23 minutes) but when everyone figured out what we were up to, we were threatened with being removed entirely from the rotation.

Anyway, before we came up with that system, C&K was the only group the entire bus could agree upon without complaining.

7. Margaritaville - Alan Jackson with Jimmy Buffett
                Okay, this is cool. I was going to include a song called "Barefootin'" performed by Jackson and Buffett and included on the Hoot soundtrack (which I bought for three dollars in Tower's last days and a bunch of you passed on, claiming there was nothing good in the racks anymore!). But for some reason that disc wasn't in the stack I brought with me to my classroom (where I've been holed up all weekend) so I couldn't rip it.

8. Walking on Sunshine
                I love this song. I really dig Katrina, too. She's been releasing a bunch of solo stuff lately under her real name, Katrina Leskanich. I've got some of her recordings from last year, which include a solo cover of this song. Great song for the theme.

9. Hot Fun in the Summertime - Sly & the Family Stone
                This is a good song, but I had to listen to it four times, because I kept getting distracted by other things and when I came back to jot down my notes, I couldn't remember a thing about the song. I don't know why, but even though I know this song, it doesn't sound a bit like my memory of Sly & the Family. Something about this tune reminds me of The Spiral Starecase's "More Today than Yesterday."

10. Hurricane - Kalapana
                That's true: You never hear this anymore. Why is it that Kalapana's rock stuff sounds so dated, when their mellower stuff doesn't? I've noticed that about C&K, too.

11. Sausalito Summernight - Diesel
                Great song! I wasn't paying attention to the track list, and when this song came up, I said, "Hey, this sounds just like that Diesel song." Of course, it WAS that Diesel song. I totally dig this song.

12. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
                I was born a few days into 1969, so I always sing the chorus, "Those were the first days of my life." This is a good song by a musician who let love-song success destroy his rock cred (see also: Phil Collins).

Fun tape! Can't wait to listen to and comment on the others!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  Innocence Mission, I have their first album and totally lost track of them. Their CDs have been kind of hard to find and because of that they have been largely off my radar map.
                  A bunch of my CDs got stolen from the newsroom at UH-Hilo, and that first Innocence Mission album was one of them. But I have almost everything they've recorded since. They sell stuff through their website and it's good.

Alice Cooper's been talking on his radio program about his new album, Along Came a Spider, which is supposed to be out this summer, I think.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

take a listen.

pax

Comment

OK, I'm finally done. Muxtape.com kept going down. I finally managed to upload my songs. I think muxtape is down again, though.

I made it a point not to look at anyone else's list until I had mine complete. I made my list off the top pf my head. All of my songs are necessarily about summer, but they all have a connection to MY summers. There are a few that didn't make the cut, but were equally important. I had to eenie-meanie-mynie-moe.

http://www.kalei.muxtape.com

Kalei's Favorite Summer Songs12 songs, 44:52 minutes

Alice Cooper - School's Out
                      This was the first song I'd play on the last day of school every year. I loved summer so much that this song meant "summer's here!" for me.

—Don Henley - The Boys of Summer
                      This song reminds me of summer all year round. It's a song about dreaming about summer. Whenever I hear it, it takes me back to my summers spent on the beach.

Bruce Springsteen - Girls In Their Summer Clothes
                      This one takes me back to the summer nights of hanging out with my friends -whether it was at the movies or fishing on the beach. When I hear this song - it takes me back to those days.

Cecilio & Kapono - Summer Lady
                      It's wouldn't be summer without C&K. It was between this one & Sunflower.

Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
                      This one reminds me of my first summer after high school. I was taking classes and dorming at UH. There was a cute guy in my dorm who blasted this song all the time. He had the nicest dimples and I had the biggest crush.

The Who - Summertime Blues (Live at Leeds Version)
                      I just like The Who version. An old-time classic made cool.

Keola & Kapono Beamer - Only Good Times From the movie Big Wednesday - it came out in the summer after my 9th grade. I spent a lot of time with my friends and this was one our favorite songs.

Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime
                      Ned I say more? A summer classic.

The Doors - Indian Summer
                      I listened to this song a lot after meeting a boy at Castle Park - where we both worked during the summer. A simple song, but it said it all.

Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
                      This is one of the first songs that pops into my head when you say summer. "Those were the best days of my life..." I usually change the year when I sing this song since I was only 6 yrs old in 1969. Good song.

Heart - Dog & Butterfly
                      This was definitely MY summer song. I used to have it on cassette tape and play it in my walk-man when I would go to the park on summer weekends to read. I remember the exact tree I would lie under in Waimalu park. I would turn on my Walkman and read the afternoon away.

Rose Royce - Car Wash
                      This song cracks me up! I was in a social club (remember those??) in high school. EVERY summer we would have a car wash to raise money for socials. We would blast this song. We would also skate to this song at Skateland - it would be our group skate song. *LOL* Still cracks me up to think about those days.

That's it, MY summer mix. Now I'm going back to look at everyone else's list.
                      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I like everyone's lists. I was surprised to see some of the same songs on your lists. Just means we all have good taste

I had Margaritaville on my short list too. ALMOST put it instead of Sunshine of Your Love, but then thought about the cute guy in the dorm and changed my mind.

It wasn't on my list but I thought about Vivaldi's Four Seasons. But my favorite of the seasons is Winter. I also thought about George Winston's Summer album but I couldn't pick just one song - so I left it out. I like his Autumn album better, anyways.
                        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

my list isn't about summer tunes, but music from this side of the planet that I always go back and respin.

pax

Comment

Comments on Kalei's Muxtape selections....

Alice Cooper - School's Out - well what can I say? A true classic that celebrates freedom.... in my book always from the student's perspective, but I can also see why Scriv likes the song... it's a break from work!!!!!

Would the music video with the guys moving in slow motion have anything to do with your summer dreams associated with this song? Henley's done some great work in-between long Eagles' breaks. This is one of his best.

There a no immediate memories that this song makes for me, other than it being a good track from his latest album Magic. I was trying to figure out what the difference is between the winter mix and the regular track I have. I have to listen to this again.

"It's wouldn't be summer without C&K." - yes indeed!

Dimples and crushes aside, I have to say this is a great classic by a 3-hit wonder "supergroup"....

The Eddie Cochran original was on my short list, but missed the count by this many! .... I also have a studio version of this song by The Who in my collection too.

Keola & Kapono Beamer - Only Good Times - A nice, mellow, laid back song from the 1970s... remember it well.

Yep, Mungo Jerry made this into a huge bonafide Top 10 hit in the summer of 1970. It's a fun and accessible song. Hear it a lot even today.

This is one of those Doors songs that have fallen through the cracks for me. Haven't heard it in a long time because I haven't played the LP in ages. I can't remember if that album is here in Honolulu or back on the Big Island at my parent's place. Now I am motivated to find it or upgrade to the CD, even though some of the tracks I already have on other Doors compilations.

Yes, great song and it made it to my list!!!! Why did Adams stray from rock n roll?????

Heart - Dog & Butterfly
                            All the songs from this album came out at a time when I had a crush on this young blonde... and dancing with her to the song "Straight On"..... many, many moons ago.

Rose Royce - Car Wash
                            This song and many from the disco era cracks me up because I used to do some weekend DJ work and made money off these records!!! This used to get the crowds on the floor all the time.

Kalei, you have a great mix here with a ton of accessible, memorable, and popular songs. Great job!
                            Last edited by mel; June 9, 2008, 08:25 PM.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Kalei's Favorite Summer Songs
                              12 songs, 44:52 minutes

Alice Cooper - School's Out
                              It's a great song. My favorite lyric is, "we can't even think of a word that rhymes!" I use this as evidence to my students (who think they're the first to come up with the plan to play it over the school's PA on the last day of school) that Alice isn't necessarily glorifying the blowing up of schools.

This is a GREAT song, but for personal reasons always makes me really, really sad. "My love for you will still be strong after the boys of summer have gone..." I guess that's what makes a summer song what it is: The combination of wistful sadness and good memories.

I think it's a good album, but this song really stands out on it.

This is such a pretty song. I'm not a fan of the "oh oh in the summer" part, but the verses are very nicely done. C&K always puts me in a good mood. I like the guitar-playing too. It's a nicely understated groove most of the time.

I think Cream is vastly overrated as a band, 'though I looooooove Clapton, and this song rips.

My thirteenth song was the Rush cover of this song. It's a good song! I also have the Live at Monterey Pop version.

Keola & Kapono Beamer - Only Good Times
                              I didn't know this was from a movie. I know it was my (and everyone else's!) class song, though. "Who can say what life will do? Life is kind to just a few..."

I tried to give it another shot, since it was here on your muxtape, but I do not like this song!

I didn't know this one. I like the guitar work. It's not a bad song, but it doesn't do much for me.

"Those were the FIRST days of my life..." Great song.

Heart - Dog & Butterfly
                              My favorite Heart song. Soooooo pretty.

Rose Royce - Car Wash
                              I got my first AM/FM radio when I was seven, which was the year this song was released. I almost always had it on in the evenings, listening to a DJ called The Coyote. This song always makes me think of that.

Great list! Very listenable, and your notes totally made it a summer list for me, which it might not have been otherwise.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The first thing I have to say about Scrivener's mixes is that they are dangerous. And I mean that in a good way. He has a lot of music I haven't heard which makes me either look for the tracks or look for other songs by the same artists.

1. Vanessa-Mae: Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, "Summer," third movement. 1999. -- There is so much classical music out there that for the casual listener, it is just a daunting task to even try something much less find something nice like this piece of music. Perhaps some trips to the library to borrow some CDs may be on order here.

2. Billy Joel: "Summer, Highland Falls" (live). 1976.
                                This song came out on Billy Joel's 2nd or 3rd album in the 1970s.. can't remember, but one that I haven't heard in a long time. Doesn't do that much for me other than to note it is a good song.

3. Bruce Springsteen: "Girls in Their Summer Clothes." 2007. - I don't know about best track since I like "Radio Nowhere" better, but still a good song.

4. John Fogerty: "Summer of Love." 2007. - Sounds like a good rock n roll song. May have to look into this album further. Not in my collection.

5. Mark Knopfler: "A Night in Summer Long Ago" (live). 1996.
                                I lost track of Mark after Dire Straits dissolved. Not familiar with this song, but it's good.

6. Spock's Beard: "June." 1997. - I did not know they still make this kind of music today. I really like this song, but the only copy I saw so far to purchase is at iTunes and it's not free of dreaded DRM. Amazon doesn't have it. I checked their website, sometimes bands give away free tracks... no such luck. However I was presently surprised when I listened to other tracks by Spock's Beard at their myspace page. I liked them all as this is the kind of stuff prog rock FM radio stations played in the olden days...

7. Jenny Owen Youngs: "Hot in Herre." Originally recorded by Nelly, 2002. - Wasn't this a rap song when it first came out??? After a few listens I ended up buying the track from iTunes earlier this evening. DRM-free. Yippee!

8. Alice Cooper: "School's Out" (live). 1972. - This is the kind of song where when the bell rings you throw all your books, papers, and pencils in the air and run out of the classroom for the rest of the summer!!!!!!! Almost made it to my list.

9. The Innocence Mission: "Once Upon a Summertime." 2004. - Lost track of this group after I bought their album that featured "The Wonder of Birds" back in 1989. Good to hear something by Karen Peris again. Checked out their website and back catalog. I may make future purchases.

10. Bob Dylan: "In the Summertime." 1981. - Haven't heard anything from this album until today. I think one reason why it did not sell is because the album cover graphics are so goofy and un-Dylan like.

11. Kirsty MacColl: "Last Day of Summer." 1993. - Pretty song, I looked for it on Amazon and they did not have it. Never knew much about this lady except about her death which made the news years ago.

12. Michael McDermott: "Summer Days." 1996. - good song too, but I could not find it at Amazon.

OK so I count at least a half dozen tracks that I may either want to add one at the time to my collection or investigate music further by some of these artists.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X