Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to visit on Oahu

Aloha

I know you all live here and probably don't go to tourist attractions, but maybe you have heard about it-is it nothing special, good, or wonderful?

The places I have questions about are, for example, Magic of Polynesia show featuring master illusionist, John Hirokawa.
    or Alii Kai Catamaran Dinner Cruise and especially all sorts of Luau...
    There are so many different kinds of Luau!!! Which one do I go to?

There is Polynesian Cultural center Luau,Germaine's Luau,Paradise Cove Luau etc-are they all the same?

What else would you recommend to see exept of tour around the island & Pearl Harbour?

Could you recommend a few different web sites as where to book all tours?

Re: What to visit in Oahu

Please, please - you don't visit "in" Oahu! You will ON the island of O`ahu. Unless you are planning to spend your whole vacation underground, you will not be "in" O`ahu. You will be "in" Honolulu, "on" the island of O`ahu.

Sorry - this is just one of my pet peeves about visitors misconceptions about our islands.

I hope you really enjoy your vacation here - sounds like you have some great ideas about how to spend your time. and hopefully, you will be able to meet some of the HT folks while you're here. You should ask Auntie Lynn to give you one of her special tours of Chinatown!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hi

Sorry, I did't mean to offend-simply English is not my first language (Russian is)

But I will now for the next time!

P.S. Can moderator perhaps correct the title? Thanks
      Last edited by Kleo; April 22, 2008, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Do the Diamond Head Hike, well worth it, go early, bring water.

Hunama Bay, Closed on Mondays...or is it Tuesdays, hmmm...anywho, great place to relax, once again, go early as it gets WAY crowded, and the snorkeling is better.

North Shore/Sunset beach with a lunch of garlic shrimp, and shave ice.

Worth going up to Pali lookout too, great vista.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by Kleo View Post
          Alii Kai Catamaran Dinner Cruise
          For a high-quality dinner cruise where you're not worrying about the weather or the waves, I'd spend the extra money for the NAVATEK. Its SWATH hull makes it much more stable and it can cruise farther around Diamond Head during the sunset. They also have a show or two.

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/navatek.cfm

There is Polynesian Cultural center Luau,Germaine's Luau,Paradise Cove Luau etc-are they all the same?
          They're not all the same, but they're all good in one way or another. For most visitors it depends on your schedule and on how far you want to drive.

Have you tried http://www.101thingstodo.com/hawaii/oahu/index.php ? It'll help you decide what you want to spend your time on. For example the USS ARIZONA Memorial is a great tour for almost every visitor, but if you really want to spend a couple days on military memorials you could also add the USS BOWFIN Submarine Memorial, the USS MISSOURI Memorial, and the Pacific Aviation Museum...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Pearl Harbor - go early, there is lots to see

The PCC is over-rated, unless you're on a tiki safari.
            Waiamea Falls Park is a better way to spend that day, google it

Don't miss - www.kualoaranch.com

If you wish to experience some of the best in Hawaiian music, I submit my web site - www.hwnsge.5u.com

Have fun!
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: What to visit on Oahu

If I could come back home and spend a day on Oahu.....

I'd climb up that Stairway to Heaven ladder at the back of Kaneohe.
              I'd go to the top of Mt. Kaala.
              Drive up Roundtop.
              Have a coffee at the top of the Ala Moana Building in that restaurant that goes round and round.
              Take a moped around Kaena Point.
              Wander the backroads of Waimanalo (is Saddle City still there?).
              Visit Kokohead Stables.
              Go to a polo game out at Mokuleia.
              Visit the Zoo.
              Follow the Parade of Homes show.
              Visit Lake Wilson (is the airplane bridge still there?), eat at Doc and Eve's Fast Food in Wahiawa.
              Eat shave ice, saimin, manapua, char siu, and teri plate lunch.
              Or maybe curry stew.
              Visit the monkeys at Pearl City Tavern.
              Go to a Korean hostess bar.
              Catch the show at the Swing Club.
              Wander around Ft. Street Mall.
              Go over the bridge at Kipapa Gulch.
              Swim out to Chinaman's Hat.
              Get my feet red and dirty in Mililani dirt.
              Drive through the old neighborhoods of Kaimuki, looking at the beautiful old wooden houses.
              Take in the view from Tripler Medical Center.
              Wander the Hyatt and look for the high-end prostitutes by the fountain.
              Take the Ford Island Ferry.
              Ride a bike along the bike path at the edge of Pearl Harbour from the watercress farm, past the Primo brewery, to the feryy landing.
              Shop at Ward Warehouse.
              Eat watermelon and sweetcorn in Kahuku.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

No you wouldn't. Many of those on your list, are pau. But, it'd sure be cool if we could again!
                And, thanx for the tip on the Hyatt!
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; April 23, 2008, 10:58 AM.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

At 7AM I would go to Ko Olina Lagoon #3 and read a book. At 11:00AM I would go to Leewards Drive In in Waipahu, then to Pearl Ridge Mall. Wait for a call from friends as to whats on the agenda for the evening. AKA wea us going eat?
                  ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Mahalo to all of you guys-

TATTRAT,Nords,RonWhitfield,GypsyLika,SusieMisajon

SusieMisajon- what do you mean by-Visit the monkeys at Pearl City Tavern?

Some of the places I have never heard about, however...I just bought Lonely Planet Hawaii Travel Guide 2007 edition!!!

I have managed to read the first 100 pages so far (there is 600 in total-covers all islands)-and,let me tell you...there is sooooooooo much to see and do!!! I don't know if 11 days would be enough?? I think I need "an action plan!"

I suppose I should visit Chinatown and a few museums? like Contemporary museum, Bishop museum, I am not really into visiting cemetery, but guide recommends to visit National Memorial Cemetery of the pacific as well as Queen Emma summer palace...

What about Hawaii theatre?Anyone been there?

...and I have to "fit in' my bday as well! I suppose I will have to open a different thread on that one

Comment

SusieMisajon- what do you mean by-Visit the monkeys at Pearl City Tavern?
                      That's one of the things that's "pau" ("gone" from Suzie's list, as Ron Whitfield mentioned). PCT went out of business a long time ago, but they used to have a Monkey Bar, with monkeys behind a glass enclosure behind the bar, so you could drink your cocktails or beer and watch the monkeys. And the monkeys, of course, could watch you.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        That's one of the things that's "pau" ("gone" from Suzie's list, as Ron Whitfield mentioned). PCT went out of business a long time ago, but they used to have a Monkey Bar, with monkeys behind a glass enclosure behind the bar, so you could drink your cocktails or beer and watch the monkeys. And the monkeys, of course, could watch you.
                        Oh my. That's amazing. I now feel a little sad.

My two cents. I prefer Ko Olina to Hanauma Bay. Way less crowded, I hate the zoo-like atmpsphere of the place. Still see plenny fish and even turtles. Tide pools on the rocks are full of life. But I live on the Leeward side, and if you are staying in Waikiki, it may be a bit far for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
                          Oh my. That's amazing. I now feel a little sad.

My two cents. I prefer Ko Olina to Hanauma Bay. Way less crowded, I hate the zoo-like atmpsphere of the place. Still see plenny fish and even turtles. Tide pools on the rocks are full of life. But I live on the Leeward side, and if you are staying in Waikiki, it may be a bit far for you.
                          I am staying in Waikiki...is there a public transport to Ko Olina?

Comment

I believe there is no bus that goes into the resort, might be able to get clos and walk the rest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&dirf...-na-us-gns-trs
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                              Go to a Korean hostess bar.
                              The best name I've seen has been:

"Club Don't Tell Momma"

xD
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                              X