Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to visit on Oahu

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    If I could come back home and spend a day on Oahu.....

Have a coffee at the top of the Ala Moana Building in that restaurant that goes round and round.
    That closed many years ago. Building is still there but it is now office space.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

While it didn't last long...

Club Ugly will always leave an impression!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: While it didn't last long...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Club Ugly will always leave an impression!
        Heh, a place with that name exist/ed in Hawaii?
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Near Kamakee St. and Kapiolani Bl., accross from McKinley HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Near Kamakee St. and Kapiolani Bl., accross from McKinley HS.
            LOL. Cool.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              That closed many years ago. Building is still there but it is now office space.
              What about "Top of Waikiki" restaurant? Any good?

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                I believe there is no bus that goes into the resort, might be able to get clos and walk the rest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&dirf...-na-us-gns-trs
                Mahalo
                ( however I don't like walikng too far

Comment

Thursday nights, Pomaika'i Keawe Lyman and the rest of the 'ohana perform great traditional Hawaiian music, especially falsetto, at the Waikiki Mariot Hotel. Pomaika'i is the granddaughter of Aunty Genoa Keawe, one of the greatest Hawaiian singers ever, who has unfortunately passed on. However, hearing Pomaika'i taking her place as front person is the next best thing. Check it out and especially pay attention to the song "'Alika" if she does it. You'll know what song it is because it has a high note in it that she holds forever and ever and ever! Prepare to get your socks knocked off!
                  'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                    If I could come back home and spend a day on Oahu.....

I'd climb up that Stairway to Heaven ladder at the back of Kaneohe.

Go to a polo game out at Mokuleia.

eat at Doc and Eve's

Catch the show at the Swing Club.

Wander the Hyatt and look for the high-end prostitutes by the fountain.

Ride a bike along the bike path at the edge of Pearl Harbour from the watercress farm, past the Primo brewery
                    Nice list. But...

Climbing Stairway is illegal and you can be prosecuted. There's supposed to be guards there, though some people hike it illegally and risk getting caught.
                    http://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org/

Polo season I don't think is going on right now.

Is there a Doc and Eve's anymore? I've never heard of it since I've been here, but then again, I don't leave town that much.

There's no more Swing Club, I don't think.

I live in Waikiki, and I've been to the Hyatt many times. Don't think the prostitutes hang out there anymore. I've only seen prostitutes on Kuhio. But maybe I just haven't been there at the right times.

Is there a Primo Brewery bldg left? I didn't think they were brewing Primo here.

Think Parade of Homes takes place in Oct, though you could probably obtain a list from the newspaper thru Google or something and drive past them from the outside...

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
                      Thursday nights, Pomaika'i Keawe Lyman and the rest of the 'ohana perform great traditional Hawaiian music, especially falsetto, at the Waikiki Mariot Hotel.
                      Excellent suggestion - Years from now, when Pomaika`i is praised as one of the greatest voices in Hawaiian music, and torchbearer of her tutu's legacy, you'll be able to say "I saw her when..."

Comment

Now let's just hope that Anna reads it!
                        'Alika

Comment

My friends and I agree that Mandi should be getting the star focus and lion's share of spotlight time at these shows like her Grandma did (even tho she shared it) instead of being just another member of the group, which is as it is now.

But, it's still a fine evening to be had, with Momi Bee Kahawai'ola'a on vocals/guitar and Genoa's #1 son Gary Aiko on bass/vocals, and there is always steel guitar in the band, courtesy of Alan Akaka.
                          Plus, all the talented guests that inevitably perform.

Comment

tp://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Aug/02/ln/hawaii708020331.html

KANE'OHE — The city will spend nearly $50,000 this year for private security to deter hiking at Ha'iku Stairs.

But despite guards being posted 12 hours a day and police responding whenever they're called, trespassers continue to climb the landmark that has been off-limits since 1987.

Nevertheless, police have issued just three citations in the last three years — two in 2005 and one in 2006 — according to the city's Customer Services Department

Police say they respond when they're called but that the many accesses to the stairs makes enforcement difficult.

Five years after major renovations to the stairs were completed and a planned reopening scuttled, the popular attraction remains closed to the public, its future bogged down in access issues and illegal hiking still a problem.

Jeff Coelho, director for city Customer Services, said the fate of the stairs is still under consideration.

Read rest of story at URL above...
                            http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

If you have the time, DO go to the Bishop Museum - and also check out the Honolulu Academy of Art (don't miss the section where they have the works by Hawaiian artists) and the Hawaii State Art Museum. The Hawaii Theater is a wonderful venue - check to see if something is going on there during your stay.

And please DO rent a car and get out of Waikiki/Honolulu while you're here! There's so much more to O'ahu than that (no offense to those of you who live in town!). This is a good place to book a car rental: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Or if you're not comfortable renting a car, The Bus (that's what it's called!) goes all over the island, and the fares are very reasonable.

I'm a windward side girl, so.... take Kalanianaole Hwy around the east side of the island and visit places like Hanauma Bay (either go way early or wait until later in the afternoon - it gets crowded and they'll close off the parking area and not let you in), Sandy Beach, etc., and go to Waimanalo, over to Kailua, and don't forget to go to the beach at Lanikai! Watch for the little public access trails that take you between the houses and down to the beach. There's also a nice beach at Bellows AFB that's open to the public on weekends.

You should also take the Pali Hwy, go up to the lookout, and then continue on up the Pali and take Kamehameha Hwy to Kaneohe and beyond - up through all the tiny villages and towns along the coast, like Ka'a'awa, Punalu'u, Hauula, La'ie, (etc.), up to Pupukea/Shark's Cove and beyond to Haleiwa and Waialua...

Go to places like Valley of the Temples (on Kahekili Hwy - there's a Buddhist Temple in a beautiful setting at the very back), Sacred Falls, Waimea Falls... and if you like garlic shrimp, stop at the Giovanni's truck in Kahuku, by the old sugar mill. Or go to Ted's Bakery (by Sunset Beach) for a sandwich or salad and the incredible desserts (the chocolate haupia pie is to die for)! In Haleiwa you can get huli huli chicken (sooo good!) from a stand near Matsumoto's Shave Ice (usually Fri/Sat only). There's a little farmer's market/crafts fair at Sunset Elementary School on Saturday mornings (till around 1 or so?) where you can get fresh local produce, local arts and crafts, and all kinds of things - and sometimes there's a guy there who does lomi lomi massage.

You have to stop at some of the incredible beaches, too! Even though it's not the season for big surf, you can check out the beaches where they hold the major surf contests (like the Triple Crown) - Sunset, Waimea, Pipeline, Ali'i Beach Park... And for an up close and personal look at some honu (sea turtles), stop at Laniakea Beach. There are almost always some honu that have crawled up onto the beach to rest and sun themselves. (But don't get too close or touch or feed them! They're protected.)

A good place for inexpensive (and really good) traditional Hawaiian food in town is Ono's - a little hole in the wall kind of place on Kapahulu. (Don't go during prime time lunch hours - it's jammed. Try a little later, like maybe 2 pm...) And be sure to look at all the photos on the wall! My fav foods there are the kalua pig (order some poi and mix it in!) and their laulau. Or get one of the combo plates and try a little of everything. (If I order the combo I always share it with a friend - it's way too much food for me!) And when you're done there, walk up the street a few blocks to Leonard's Bakery and get a hot malasada - yum! (My fav is the cinnamon/sugar.)

You might also want to stop in at Na Lima Mili Hulu No'eau ("skilled hands touch the feathers") - a tiny shop (between Ono's and Leonard's on Kapahulu - at 762) where they make and sell feather lei (they also offer classes). If you have a genuine interest, the wonderful owners, Aunty Paulette and her mom, Aunty Mary Lou will be more than happy to talk story with you - and oh, the stories they can share! Aunty Mary Lou is not only a kick, she's a master of feather work, as is Aunty Paulette. They travel all over the world to teach, and their work is incredible. Aunty Mary Lou isn't always out front - she's getting on in years so sometimes she's resting in the back - but it's well worth a stop to visit with these two treasures and learn more about the art of feather work and Hawaiian culture in general.

And pleeeeze don't forget to take the opportunity to see some of the wonderful musicians we have here. Others have mentioned a few that you shouldn't miss, but I'd also add Chai's Island Bistro in the Aloha Tower Marketplace - great food, and there's music 7 nights/week. You can go online to check their calendar (and menu), http://www.chaisislandbistro.com/home.html but if you're unfamiliar with the musicians it doesn't matter - there's always someone wonderful! Robi Kahakalau ("Aunty Sista Robi") with Jeff Rasmussen and Kimo Bell on most Sunday nights is a favorite, as is Jerry Santos/Hoku Zuttermiester/Barry Kimokeo on Monday, Nathan Aweau on Friday (when he's not touring), Robert Cazimero, Brothers Cazimero, and sometimes folks like Hapa, Melveen Leed, Makana, Maunalua, etc. (The busses and shuttles go there.)

Another great place for music is Pakele Lounge, in the lobby of the Ala Moana Hotel. On Thursday nights from 6-8 p.m. they do a live webcast http://www.alohavideo.tv/ of a Hawaiian concert with both the top names and the up-and-comers. This week Uncle Cyril Pahinui will be there, and coming up are Weldon Kekauoha, Pilioha, Hoku Zuttermeister, Willie K, etc. They're also going to re-open the lounge (probably late July) to again have Hawaiian music on Fri/Sat nights. It's all free at Pakele, and if you don't have a car, all the busses/shuttles go to the Ala Moana Shopping Center (right next door). If you DO have a car, you can park free in the shopping center.

You can also go to places like the Hilton Hawaiian Village - some great bands play there! Na Kama (a really talented, nice group of guys) plays there at the Tapa Bar on Weds. nights and Olomana (with Jerry Santos) plays on Friday. And you can't miss Sunday afternoons (starting around 3 or 3:30) at Honey's! It's at the Ko'olau golf course in Kaneohe, and usually features Uncle Eddie Kamae, Mike Kaawa, Ocean Kaowili - basically everyone from Uncle Eddie's latest version of the Sons of Hawai'i - but you never know who else will drop by to join in. And Gordon Biersch (in Aloha Tower Marketplace) has just started their Sunday evening concerts. Another place is Uncle's, out at Pier 38. They have the freshest fish ever (whatever is caught that day!), and Ernie Cruz, Jr. plays there.

Something else you might want to check out is Kanoe Miller, who dances hula every night (except Sunday) at the "House Without a Key" in the Halekulani Hotel in Waikiki. She dances from around 6 pm to 8.

For souveniers, try the swap meet at Aloha Stadium (Weds/Sat/Sun). You'll find many of the same things you see at the shops in Waikiki, but at much lower prices - and you'll also find things you don't see in Waikiki. But wear sunscreen and comfy shoes, and take cold bottled water - it can get hot, and you can walk forever (around the stadium, and on several different levels!). You can even buy Hawaiian print luggage at good prices - to take home all the stuff you buy that won't fit into the luggage you came with!

There's someone on the mainland who does a nice job with a site called "Go Visit Hawaii." She has a lot of good tips for visitors: http://www.govisithawaii.com/

Ok, I'll stop now - this is REALLY really long (e kala mai - sorry!), and I think you'll need to extend your stay to maybe a month or so in order to do everything we've all mentioned! But there's so much to see and do here on O'ahu...

I hope you have a wonderful visit (and a happy birthday!).

Comment

Originally posted by lynn View Post
                                [...]
                                I hope you have a wonderful visit (and a happy birthday!).
                                Wow, Lynn, what a wonderful run down of Oahu stuff to see and do. Unfortunately, Kleo's vacation is pau and she's already returned home. Hopefully future visitors who log on to HT will be able to find this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X