Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckham's jersey tears 2 Hawaii kids apart

Source

A benevolent gesture by soccer star David Beckham has ended in legal wrangling for two boys and their families over a jersey belonging to the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder.

The parents of the boys, ages 9 and 10, have retained attorneys, and letters threatening a lawsuit have been sent back and forth.

For the first time in three years, the boys' friendship is in peril and the parents aren't speaking, a situation the general manager for the Galaxy, former soccer star Alexi Lalas, yesterday called a "pity."

"There are things certainly more important than soccer and David Beckham, and I say that as a huge supporter of both soccer and David," said Lalas, in a telephone interview from Los Angeles. "Even David Beckham isn't worth ruining a friendship that could possibly last a lifetime."
    The parents got lawyers involved. I feel for the two boys. There's more to life than a stupid Beckham jersey, and it's unfortunate that their parents are saying otherwise.

Auwe. Shame on the Hos and the Kerrs.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Beckham's jersey tears 2 Hawaii kids apart

smh...these kids should throw away that jersey and settle things themselves to show their parents how silly the whole thing is. Will David Beckham pay your rent?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      smh...these kids should throw away that jersey and settle things themselves to show their parents how silly the whole thing is. Will David Beckham pay your rent?
      Becks should demand to have that jersey back.

Legal fees aren't cheap. It's just a damn jersey.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

The culprit?
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          Becks should demand to have that jersey back.[...]
          Exactly <high 5>!
          What kind of an example are those 4 parents setting?

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post

The culprit?
            Oh wait...check out Mike_Lowrey's avatar. Maybe he should swap it out for this photo!

Comment

Stupid fricking parents. Asshole parents. If I were the parent of either of those boys I would demand that the jersey be given to the other. What the frick do these idiots think they are teaching their kids?

And what kind of fricking lawyer takes a case like that?
              Last edited by scrivener; April 24, 2008, 07:24 PM.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If I could, I'd rip that shirt to shreds. But then, the parents would probably sue me, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  [...]And what kind of fricking lawyer takes a case like that?
                  One who doesn't take the case on a contingency and finds idiot clients who are willing to pay a retainer for a ridiculously stupid case. Why not? Lawyers have bills to pay, too, and if idiots want to throw their money away, well, if I was a lawyer I'd take it, too!!!

I'm currently watching someone file multiple, absolutely stupid lawsuits...throwing them around like they're ping pong balls in a lottery drawing. I've heard a lot of bad mouthing going on about the attorney. And I say...why not bleed the idiot plaintiff who absolutely deserves to be bled?!

Taking cases on a contingency is a whole different ball game, however.

Comment

Yeah, definitely a shame.

When I was in 2nd grade, one of my friends was teasing me in his mom's car after a cub scout meeting. The next day at school, during lunch, we were taunting each other and my big brother and some of his friends goaded us into fighting. My mom was out of town visiting my grandparents and my dad decided to make a pass by the school. He must've had some kind of telepathy going. Anyway, he broke up the proceedings and me and my friend were made to sit together on a wooden bench outside the classroom after class had started. My friend eventually offered to shake my hand while we were sitting there and he had one of those tin, wind-up joy buzzers in his hand. We had it all sorted out in the course of a half hour or so. Forty three years later were still good friends.

When I saw this story my story popped into my memory, so I thought I'd type it up as it's kind of related.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      Stupid fricking parents. Asshole parents. If I were the parent of either of those boys I would demand that the jersey be given to the other. What the frick do these idiots think they are teaching their kids?

And what kind of fricking lawyer takes a case like that?
                      Whoa, Scriv, c'mon, tell us how you really feel dude.

We signed Mel up for a season of soccer. She didn't want to return and we couldn't blame her. Amazing....the attitudes of some of the parents and kids. It's only a damned game!....and this was for the 6 to 8 yr. old division.

Mel wants to play lacrosse, now.

Comment

Have the opposing parents on each side of River Street Canal. Then, toss the jersey in the middle of the canal, and whoever gets it first, wins.
                        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; April 24, 2008, 10:45 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          Mel wants to play lacrosse, now.
                          Lacrosse: Gateway to Rugby!

Argh, argh, argh!
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Auwe! They should just sell the shirt and split the income, or donate it to charity... or both!

Teaching the kids to go to court and all shows no aloha.

Comment

There's a valuable lesson to be learned here.

The question is how long (and how much money spent on lawyers) will it take for one side to learn it?

I have a feeling that both sides are getting an earful now that it's hit the paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X