Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get PO Box downtown/nuuanu surroundings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get PO Box downtown/nuuanu surroundings?

Does anybody know where I could get a po box anywhere in the downtown area, or Nuuanu area of Queen St etc.?

I currently have one at a place near Ward, but it's a pain to get there often. I wanted one from the US Post Office on Merchant/Richards, but apart from a state ID, I dont seem to have the required ID to get one from them. (they want DL/State ID, Plus one of following: Armed forces, govt, university card or passport (I have had a passport for 20 years, but it expired last year (too cheap to pay $80 to have it renewed when I dont have the money to travel abroad.. why does an expired passport seem to invalidate your presence? Like I cease to be who i was before it expired.., current lease, mortage, or vehicle registration or home or vehicle insurance policy. I wanted it too because it's reasonably priced. UPS store on Bishop wants $80 for 3 mos

UGGH. I just want a po box. I type in PO Box under google, but dont seem to have much luck. So wondering if anybody knows any places..
    n'importe

Re: Where to get PO Box downtown/nuuanu surroundings?

The USPS says:

4.3.2 Verification

An application for post office box service may not be approved until the applicant's identity and current permanent physical address where he or she resides or conducts business is verified. Verification criteria are as follows:

a. At the time of application, applicants must present two items of valid identification; one item must contain a photograph of the applicant. Social Security cards or credit cards and birth certificates are unacceptable as identification. The following are acceptable identification:

1. Valid driver's license or state non-driver's identification card.
    2. Armed forces, government, university, or recognized corporate identification card.
    3. Passport, alien registration card, or certificate of naturalization.
    4. Current lease, mortgage, or deed of trust.
    5. Voter or vehicle registration card.
    6. Home or vehicle insurance policy.

b. The identification presented must be current. It must contain sufficient information to confirm that the applicant is who he or she claims to be and must be traceable to the bearer.

(USPS Domestic Mail Manual)

Comment

One thing I learned when getting PO boxes (and I had one at the Makiki and Waikiki Post offices) is to go to places where there is a high transient community as the wait list is shorter, hence the two locations I had boxes at.

If you were to try the Waialae Kahala post office the wait list can be almost half a year because most postal box renters own homes in that area and tend to stay there forever.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This recommendation is a far distance...but, if you go research rates on PO boxes, the USPS ones come out way cheaper than private ones. One I can recommend cuz of high turnover ratio is the Waikiki PO....a gal from another po told me that often visitors who stay in HI for a short while, tend to rent out a po box and after a few months or so, they close the box and bail out..leaving a box open for the next renter. Parking is in front but if busy, may have to wait awhile, otherwize got meters in front. Suggestion call before you go....or if you got time, stop by and ck out!

Comment

thanks all. The issue wasn't really about the availability of PO Boxes at the downtown post office. There are some available.

They just have exacting specifications on ID that is required which I do not have. My State ID has my old address off Punchbowl. My passport expired last year (a US passport is the single most important ID you can have it seems. Can get you anywhere in this country. Now I can't get it renewed UNLESS i have an ID with my current address. Which I do not.

and the kicker. I cannot use my current address (live off of Nuuanu st.) to have anything mailed here as I was told NOT to use the mailbox here due to THEFT. That is why I got a PO Box off Ward Ave (at the time it was convenient), but now the post office across the street from my work has po boxes available, and I would like one there.

so in a nutshell I dont not have #2-#6 current. ALL my mail including tax forms, voter card all have my old address and some have my current unwanted mail box address off Ward St.

I doubt anybody understood that mess above.. lol
          n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
            [...]
            I doubt anybody understood that mess above.. lol
            Oh, I did...really! I'm just sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. It sounds like we use the same private mailbox service off of Ward. Sharon? Did you try googling on private mailbox service honolulu?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
              Does anybody know where I could get a po box anywhere in the downtown area, or Nuuanu area of Queen St etc.?

I currently have one at a place near Ward, but it's a pain to get there often. I wanted one from the US Post Office on Merchant/Richards, but apart from a state ID, I dont seem to have the required ID to get one from them. (they want DL/State ID, Plus one of following: Armed forces, govt, university card or passport (I have had a passport for 20 years, but it expired last year (too cheap to pay $80 to have it renewed when I dont have the money to travel abroad.. why does an expired passport seem to invalidate your presence? Like I cease to be who i was before it expired.., current lease, mortage, or vehicle registration or home or vehicle insurance policy. I wanted it too because it's reasonably priced. UPS store on Bishop wants $80 for 3 mos

UGGH. I just want a po box. I type in PO Box under google, but dont seem to have much luck. So wondering if anybody knows any places..
              There is a USPS in Cultural Plaza right outside Chinatown. They have PO Boxes there. Maybe get a friend to help you by getting the box under his/her name and then adding you as an authorized user of the box to help bypass the ID requirements?

Comment

You're renting an apartment, right? Therefore you have a rental lease. The USPS's Acceptable ID #4 includes "lease agreements". Make a copy of yours and bring it with you along with your state ID.

Comment

Working...
                X