Ron Menor + DUI = Train wreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Menor + DUI = Train wreck

Man can it get any worse? Yes it can. So his defense against the breathalyzer test proclaiming it's flawed will run smack into his bill for an interlock system using the same technology.

Add that to his defense about his blind eye and sore foot and you are witnessing a train wreck in action.

Oh and by the way in this morning's Honolulu Advertiser I read this sentence revealing that Menor did in fact fail the breathalyzer test: Menor failed the test and was asked to perform a field sobriety test, which he refused, police said.

If a DUI lawyer can keep him out of jail on a DUI arrest, how in the world can an interlock system (he authored) keep a drunk off the roads when he himself can find fault in the DUI procedure.

Keep it up Menor, your own defense is gonna kill your own legislation to put something you have identified as a failure.

I'm sorry but I think your ability as a lawmaker is fast eroding to the point of hypocracy and lack of foresight.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Ron Menor + DUI = Train wreck

In his own words...

Comment

I have not read his proposed legislation, nor followed the details of it in the news. Does it propose the auto device for a first offense DUI conviction? Hmmm...lemme guess it won't, now.

Seriously, yeah.....what irony this has happened.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Do as I say, not as I do. And while we are at it, I would like to intervene in your life even more with my legislation.

Lucky for Hawaii, we always vote for Democrats in our legislature. Brilliant !!

Just another good laugh at the liberal thing. Most of you people will never get it.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I love Lee Cataluna's take on this in her column today. She nails it!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Who was the political figure who started the trend of smiling for his mugshot? Even the mugshot of a drunken Nick Nolte is more acceptable than the public figure who doesn't take DUI seriously by smiling. Does the next public figure going to use their mugshot as a headshot audition for the next Hawaii Stars?

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              Do as I say, not as I do. And while we are at it, I would like to intervene in your life even more with my legislation.

Lucky for Hawaii, we always vote for Democrats in our legislature. Brilliant !!

Just another good laugh at the liberal thing. Most of you people will never get it.
              Yep. When will Hawaii voters ever learn and start voting for more model Republicans like Galen Fox?

"I thought it was okay to grope someone sitting next to me as long as they're sleeping." Brilliant!!

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Who was the political figure who started the trend of smiling for his mugshot?
              I still remember Rene Mansho's mugshot. The lady was about to be sent to prison and she knew it. But she still couldn't stop herself from smiling as soon as she got in front of a camera. Must be some kind of automatic reflex longtime politicians have whenever anyone points a camera at them.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                I love Lee Cataluna's take on this in her column today. She nails it!
                I don’t really know how well Cataluna nails it. Most of the perfect vision crowd has probably never experienced what Menor has had to deal with. Losing a contact lens is something that can happen at any time. So what are you supposed to do? No health insurance plan I know of covers both contacts AND glasses. Cataluna says people in Menor’s situation wouldn’t walk from their living room to the garage in that condition. Give me a break! Think an employer is going to accept the loss of a lens as an excuse for not showing up?

He was driving too SLOW, for Pete’s sake. You can always drive around someone like that. That’s why they have signs posted that say “Slower traffic keep right.” He was going home on a route he no doubt has driven countless times. If he wasn't a lawmaker, this wouldn't even be an issue.
                Last edited by TuNnL; April 29, 2008, 10:30 PM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  I don’t really know how well Cataluna nails it. Most of the perfect vision crowd has probably never experienced what Menor has had to deal with.
                  Just to let you know, there really is no such thing as "perfect vision." 20/20 is merely considered normal vision for humans. Some people actually have better than 20/20 vision, to varying degrees.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  Cataluna says people in Menor’s situation wouldn’t walk from their living room to the garage in that condition. Give me a break! Think an employer is going to accept the loss of a lens as an excuse for not showing up?
                  I have 2 comments to that.

1) There are people (with contacts or glasses) who are so severely nearsighted that it actually would be dangerous for them to drive without corrective lenses. If those corrective lenses are missing/damaged and no spares are available, then guess what? A responsible person would have no choice but to tell their employer that they'll be late or they won't make it if no alternative solution is available. And if the employer is smart, they would accept that excuse or they might find themselves legally liable if an accident occurs because they told their worker to come in or else. (Of course, this is assuming that the above scenario was a one time thing. If the employee habitually gave this excuse, then it is another matter entirely.)

2) In Menor's situation, he was on the road so that he could attend a concert and to dine at a restaurant. Both of these things hardly qualify as urgent matters that would justify Menor going behind the wheel with vision that was so impaired that he had to drive very slowly.

There are other things that bother me. Menor seemingly has convenient excuses for everything that happened that night. He said his injured left foot made it too painful for him to perform the sobriety test. But surely, the distance he would have to walk from the parking lot to either the Blaisdell Arena or Concert Hall would have been farther than a field sobriety test. Also, Menor's publicly states that he "consumed 1 to 2 small glasses of wine" with his meal. Well, is it 1 or 2? He makes a poor case for himself being sober enough to drive home if he can't exactly remember an important detail like that.

And then, there's his grin while taking his mugshot. It makes me think he was either intoxicated while this was going on,.... or if he was indeed sober, then he wasn't taking this matter seriously.

If it was just one of these things that happened, then maybe. JUST MAYBE. I might give Menor the benefit of the doubt. But when you put all these things together, it's just hard to buy into Menor's side of the story.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If I was as vision-challenged as Menor, then I'd have a spare pair of contact lenses in each of my car's glove boxes. I'd have a spare pair in my office desk, and I'd have a spare pair in my briefcase.

And then I'd take a taxi.

But, noooooooooo... he apparently decided that it's cheaper to risk the DUI.

I hope HPD gives the arresting officer some time off. He's gonna need it.
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      [...]Also, Menor's publicly states that he "consumed 1 to 2 small glasses of wine" with his meal. Well, is it 1 or 2? He makes a poor case for himself being sober enough to drive home if he can't exactly remember an important detail like that.[...]
                      Exactly...that's the first thing that came to my mind after I heard the news story. IIRC, Menor said he and his sons had a late dinner after the concert. He also said he had "1 or 2 small glasses of wine" with dinner. Presumably that took place at a restaurant. And, presumably, the dinner bill would show the number of glasses...plus the restaurant could confirm the size of the glasses and the pour. To me, it just seems too easy to prove or disprove the wine story. Or, am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        He also said he had "1 or 2 small glasses of wine" with dinner. Presumably that took place at a restaurant. And, presumably, the dinner bill would show the number of glasses...plus the restaurant could confirm the size of the glasses and the pour. To me, it just seems too easy to prove or disprove the wine story. Or, am I missing something?
                        Well, if the dining party were sharing a bottle of wine, you might have poured a glass, consumed part of it, refilled it, comsumed some, filled it again - all to varying levels. How many "glasses" would that total? And the restaurant tab wouldn't tell you anything beyond one bottle for the party.

Comment

I noticed that most people who must wear contacts in order to see always carry a spare pair of glasses just in case. It could be a lost contact or dusty conditions that force them to switch over.

Better to have a pair of spectacles handy than become one. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            if the dining party were sharing a bottle of wine
                            Yes, I do realize the grammatical error - too late to edit, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Well, if the dining party were sharing a bottle of wine, you might have poured a glass, consumed part of it, refilled it, comsumed some, filled it again - all to varying levels. How many "glasses" would that total? And the restaurant tab wouldn't tell you anything beyond one bottle for the party.
                              Both the Advertiser and the Star Bulletin reported that after he left NBC, Menor dined at a restaurant with his 2 sons. It has not been stated that he and his family were dining with other people. And since both his sons are underage to drink, I think it is safe to say that he did not share a bottle of wine with his boys.

If he and his sons were alone, it is likely that Menor ordered his wine by the glass. So Sue is right. An investigation of the restaurant's receipts would likely reveal the number of glasses he ordered.

Comment

Working...
                              X