Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ron Menor + DUI = Train wreck

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Both the Advertiser and the Star Bulletin reported that after he left NBC, Menor dined at a restaurant with his 2 sons. It has not been stated that he and his family were dining with other people. And since both his sons are underage to drink, I think it is safe to say that he did not share a bottle of wine with his boys.
    Thanks - I don't know the family, so was not aware of these aspects.

However, this does still answer tutusue's point about whether or not checking the restaurant's bill would provide the answer. In this case, it sounds like it would be pretty clear. But you see why, in some cases, it's not so clear as to what would constitute "one or two glasses" - just not in this particular case.

Short of a request from the police or some judicial authority, I doubt the restaurant would put themselves at risk by releasing this information to anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      [...]
      However, this does still answer tutusue's point about whether or not checking the restaurant's bill would provide the answer. In this case, it sounds like it would be pretty clear. But you see why, in some cases, it's not so clear as to what would constitute "one or two glasses" - just not in this particular case.
      [...]
      You're right, LL, as it relates to a more general situation. What I didn't mention in my hypothesis in post #11 is that I was basing my question on the first paragraph of Menor's explanation in the Hawaii Reporter, cited in the link in post #2 above:
      Last evening, I attended a concert at Blaisdell Center arena with my two sons. After the concert ended, I drove with my sons to a nearby restaurant for a late-night meal. I consumed 1 to 2 small glasses of wine with my meal.
      I do hope, for Menor's sake, that a bottle of wine doesn't show on the restaurant tab.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I do hope, for Menor's sake, that a bottle of wine doesn't show on the restaurant tab.
        Or...he could have drank at the concert.

Amount ~ Unknown.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          Or...he could have drank at the concert.

Amount ~ Unknown.
          Aunty, I swear. If the state ever does create a real Hawaii 5-0 state police force, the Governor should appoint you to be the chief.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Maybe there was no bottle of wine. Maybe he bought it by the glass and really did only have two...in this case, two too many.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Well, if the dining party were sharing a bottle of wine...
              Yes, I do realize the grammatical error - too late to edit, sorry.
              are you referring to your use of "were" after "dining party"? you're probably not wrong. it's future unreal conditional or something like that. that's why it's grammatically correct to say:

if i were going to the store, i'd buy an apple for you.

but incorrect to say:

if i was going to the store, i'd buy an apple for you.

nowhere else would you use "were" with a singular noun.

someone help me out here? my syntax textbook is in storage. correct me if i'm wrong. i don't even have my eats shoots and leaves handy.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                are you referring to your use of "were" after "dining party"? you're probably not wrong. it's future unreal conditional or something like that.
                I was...or were...or...something like that. Were felt correct, but upon later reading, I wasn't sure (as the collective "dining party" is singular - unlike the questionable number of glasses of wine consumed).
                Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                someone help me out here?
                Where's scrivener when you need him? I really am uncertain as to which is the correct usage.

Comment

Use "were" in sentences that are contrary to fact, a supposition:

If I were to visit the moon, it would be via Virgin Airways, don't you think?

So I believe that if a sentence were to begin with "IF I" or "IF YOU" or "IF IT" then you use "WERE" because you are not stating a fact, but speculating or supposing the consequences of a particular act.

I'm a writer, not an English teacher. If I were, I'd know for sure.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                    Maybe there was no bottle of wine. Maybe he bought it by the glass and really did only have two...in this case, two too many.
                    There was no indication of a bottle of wine in this case. "Bottle" was mentioned in a different context. What is curious, and more pertinent, is that Menor stated he had "...1 to 2 small glasses of wine". He should know for a fact, and the restaurant's receipt should prove, whether he had one glass OR 2 glasses of wine OR whatever amount he consumed at the restaurant. Stating "1 to 2 small glasses of wine" seems evasive to me.

Comment

Sue, good point and reading you with a well rested mind, now.

It does sound as if possible that he may have even had three. Many times people will say they "had a couple" and the word "few" would've been more honest.

Seems we can be sure that he drank, he drove and now he's got some 'splainin to do.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Sue, good point and reading you with a well rested mind, now.
                        Sorry if my posting, first speculating about the bottle possibility, added to your confusion. Frankie's Market's post clarified the waters that I had muddied, by providing reasons why that wasn't relevant to this particular case.

Comment

Seems we can be sure that he drank, he drove and now he's got some 'splainin to do.

Actually that should be 'splainin' since you're dropping the "g" at the end.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Geez it's getting worse. Now his sons have indicated their father had a lot of alcohol, and according to police, the arresting officer indicated Menor was weaving and wreaked of alcohol.

Comment

ron menor + dui = train wreck = derailed?
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              reflect, repent and reboot.
                              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                                ron menor + dui = train wreck = derailed?
                                Nah he's a Democrat and his buddies will support and use the "he's Human just like you" attitude on the general public. Well he's not like the rest of us, he's a public official that we entrusted to give honest and objective representatation of the masses. His actions prove he cannot be trusted in that capacity ever again, and for any Democrat to back him up as a humanitarian gesture tells me of their sincerity on the public's trust.

Comment

Working...
                                X