Poor man's meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor man's meals

My family was on a tight budget when I was growing up so we had a lot of cheap meals. We had a lot of "SOS" also but mom served it over rice instead of bread.

The best cheap meal ever was fish that my dad and I caught. I had to gut and scale the fish and then mom would cook it up.

Beef stew is a cheap meal that also tastes great. A small amount of beef can feed a lot of people especially if you grow your own vegetables in your garden.

Another favorite was "campfire" stew or jambalaya. Brown some ground beef, add a couple cans of vegetable soup, stir in a bunch of cooked rice and season to taste. Very simple and cheap but quite tasty.

My least favorite cheap meal was fried liver and onions. We always had liver at the end of the month before the next paycheck came because it was the cheapest "meat" at the butcher shop. My dad loved it but I never did acquire the taste for it.

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
      My least favorite cheap meal was fried liver and onions. We always had liver at the end of the month before the next paycheck came because it was the cheapest "meat" at the butcher shop. My dad loved it but I never did acquire the taste for it.
      another forgotten meal. i'm with you on the liver thing. both parents and brother loved it. sister and i just never acquired the taste.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

LIVER?????? I'd rather go VEGETARIAN .............

Comment

Whoa...yick...liver. It feels good to be a vegetarian!

I just moved into my new place, and all that's in the fridge are some onions, dry lentils, beer, and a package of egg noodles. Wish I could make some food, but we dont have a strainer yet! Aaaargh!! Maybe some sort of soup....
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
            another forgotten meal. i'm with you on the liver thing. both parents and brother loved it. sister and i just never acquired the taste.
            Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
            LIVER?????? I'd rather go VEGETARIAN .............
            Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            LIVER. Yummy. Kilawen Bindongo (Thin sliced raw meat, raw liver and boiled tripe mixed with ummm, papait (bile.)

Onolicious!!

I love Liver fried too with bacon crisp and onions.

I eat it um cold like chips. LOL

Try it...you'll love it.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              LIVER. Yummy. Kilawen Bindongo (Thin sliced raw meat, raw liver and boiled tripe mixed with ummm, papait (bile.)

Onolicious!!

I love Liver fried too with bacon crisp and onions.

I eat it um cold like chips. LOL

Try it...you'll love it.

Auntie Lynn
              ooh, auntie! i tried it and didn't like it. now tripe stew i love!
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post

I just moved into my new place, and all that's in the fridge are some onions, dry lentils, beer, and a package of egg noodles. Wish I could make some food, but we dont have a strainer yet! Aaaargh!! Maybe some sort of soup....
                have you gone to down to earth yet? they have a delicious spread over there when it's not picked over. the summer rolls are good too with extra peanut sauce. they have recipes on their website: downtoearth.org.

if you can't/or don't want to cook tonight and you like korean food, go over to that korean restaurant across the street from the shack for their vegetable buffet. i really enjoyed it.
                "chaos reigns within.
                order shall return."

Comment

What about hamburger curry? It's cheap. It's local. It's easy to make. And it's ono!

Comment

I never did like beef liver, but Mama fried lots of chicken liver. I like that, for some reason. Might be from the ketchup I pour over it.

We had Big Noodles tonight. Cut up chuck steaks, used crushed tomatoes instead of puree, over penne pasta. Everybody stuffed now...boy went straight to sleep on couch.

SOS is well loved here; I tried corned beef but just cannot love it. I have been making a cold vegetable salad w/ canned greenbeans, kidney beans, chopped celery and onion, and rice vinegar with sugar, salt/pepper. That we can eat on for several days and add to it as it gets eaten. It just marinates away in the fridge. I have added corn and diced tomatoes; guess any veggie would taste good in it.

Comment

Instead of sugary (and expensive) cereal for breakfast, try oatmeal...cold with milk, or cooked with milk or water. Or bake a loaf of wholegrain bread to eat at breakfast, and enjoy it with a bit of butter or peanut butter or jam.

Or save dried bread and make your own cereals or puddings.
                      http://www.my5k.net/browse.php?u=Oi8...yZWFkJTI3&b=29

Instead of costly Nestlé's Quik, simply stirr together a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa with a bit of sugar and water (or leave out the sugar), til smooth, and use a spoonful of this in a cup of hot or cold milk for an intensive and delicious chocolate drink. It's so good and so chocolatey and you need so little of it, that it makes you wonder just what it is that they put into the instant stuff.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

i realized just now that over the weekend, i cooked a filipino favorite - balatong - that definitely qualifies for this thread. i bought a 16 oz bag of green mung beans for about $1.50 and cooked it thusly:

1 cup mung beans (i like the green, unsplit kind; you can used the peeled ones, which are yellow, and choose split or unsplit. it doesn't really matter)
                        3 cups water.

bring to boil and then simmer until beans soften & split. you'll need to watch this pot bcs sometimes it will need more water.

remove from pot and place into bowl. set aside.

chop one medium onion & four cloves garlic. add about 1 tbsp oil to pot in which you cooked the mung beans & saute onion & garlic. return beans to pot; add one large chopped tomato. add patis & pepper to taste. simmer for 15 minutes, then add as many chicarrones as you like. (i used about 1/4 of this bag).

i know, i know--my mom would scold me for this very lazy version of balatong. pinakboy posts a more traditional and labor intensive recipe here. you can add spinach, marunggay, or bittermelon leaves if you like. i think even frozen collard greens would work, too. plus you can omit the chicarrones and use chicken or pork, which you would saute in the pot before the garlic & onion (make sure to season w/salt & pepper). honestly, i've even made this with a can of spam that i'd chopped up. no matter what, it's good cheap eats. the one cup of beans yields six hearty servings eaten with rice. i'll repeat that the 16 oz bag only cost me $1.50 at foodland!
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Ohhh I haven't had balatong in ages!

Fry up some pork/chicharon and add it to the balatong all over rice...my mouth is salivating as I type this!
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                            Ohhh I haven't had balatong in ages!

Fry up some pork/chicharon and add it to the balatong all over rice...my mouth is salivating as I type this!

mmph! go hit the supermarket and buy you some mung beans then! you can have balatong on your plate in less than an hour!
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
                              Another favorite was "campfire" stew or jambalaya. Brown some ground beef, add a couple cans of vegetable soup, stir in a bunch of cooked rice and season to taste. Very simple and cheap but quite tasty.
                              Another simple version is to take your washed uncooked rice and add a can of vegetable soup instead of some of the water, cover and cook over the fire. (Just make sure that the soup + water equals the amount of pure water you would add if making regular rice.)

This can be done in a rice cooker, too.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

How about a plantation staple of hotonboogiboogi that obachun used to make? Squash could be easily grown in the garden. So, the squash could be deseeded, cut into little pieces and stir fried with canned corned beed with some kind of cooking oil or broth. But, I don't know how much local squash cost now at the market.

I just remembered that I ate that type of squash dish at that Filipino take-out place by Walmart on the Keeaumoku St. side. But, I think they use pork or chicken, so it's better than canned corned beef.
                                Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 1, 2008, 07:41 PM. Reason: Add.spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X